Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

PEARLS Hawthorne 2

Posted July 03, 2016
I was motivated to write this post after reviewing my home on Zillow.com. I noticed that Pearls was listed amongst the best school in my community with two others being poorly rated. I began to think of so many families like myself who are looking to relocated in Yonkers, specifically around Pearls and are perhaps motivated to settle here because of how highly the school is rated. Please BEWARE!!! This is not a zone school, this is a "gifted and talented" program which means you must test to get admitted AND if your child does get in and you happen to have more children, there is NO GUARANTEE that siblings get in, in fact, the majority don't! I hope they change this rule one day. I'm very sadden to say that YONKERS is a VERY CONTROLLED and small town run by people who know each other very well and in my opinion are operating in a very shady and corrupt manner... If I could at all be of influence to you... BEFORE settling in this town, do yourself a BIG FAVOR and RUN!!!! The taxes are incredibly high for what you get, the system is broken and is in need of further repair, definitely NOT where you want to raise your children. We made the biggest mistake to settle here and now regret it. I know that Pearls is highly rated for reasons of "gifted and talented" but the amount of pressure put on these kids is ridiculous. My son use to attend this school and did average, perhaps he wasn't "gifted" material but if that's the case WHY was he accepted to begin with? Their evaluation is very questionable; I personally witnessed many children who didn't belong there and failed, many whose parents were told to get their children evaluated for "learning disability" like myself and after going through the long and painful process of evaluation, turns out my child had no learning disability, the system just failed him! Long story short; we moved our children to a different district and they're doing GREAT, thank god!!! Bottom line: DON'T believe all the hype, if you look at the ratings in Yonkers, you'll notice that PEARLS is the ONLY school in Yonkers rated 10!!!! how is that possible?!?! please question that... and NO, being "gifted and talented" isn't an excuse...the system is broken and that's the truth! Selecting the community you settle in is just as important, so really think about all the details before making your final decision... good luck.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted July 01, 2016
Again, I believe in the teachers!!! The teachers at Pearls is what makes this school what it is, PERIOD!!! They are GREAT, some of them may need a little improvement but I imagine if they're unhappy it's because of what I've mentioned previously. They lack support and are put under a lot of pressure; to perform and maintain status.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted July 01, 2016
Too many to mention... In my heart I am grateful for planting the seed in my child, but more grateful for opening my eyes... thank you

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted July 01, 2016
I believe they give too much homework and not enough time to process what they're learning. The children eventually become frustrated and unmotivated.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted July 01, 2016
I believe the teachers in this school have the best interest in the children, these teachers deserve better as well. They are put under ALOT of pressure by the district to perform because of their "gifted and talented" status. It's really really unfortunate and many of them have shared in a confidential manner how stressed and pressure they are and how they wish the kids didn't have to be under that pressure either. It's really time for us to think about what "gifted and talented" really means and how far were willing to go.

PEARLS Hawthorne 1

Posted August 24, 2015
This is school is completely a disaster. This school doesn't have anything of gifted and talented. There is lack of comprehension, the admission test is a fraud as they only picked on whoever they feel looks nice to be admitted. I have know several students who attends Pearls and they don't deserve to be there, I will suggest to everyone to reconsider the admission... Do not waste your time.

PEARLS Hawthorne 5

Posted October 17, 2014
I absolutely love this school, my oldest daughter graduated from Pearls and now my youngest daughter attends Pearls. I am very happy and satisfied with the learnings that each of my daughters have received and still receives from Pearls.

PEARLS Hawthorne 5

Posted October 11, 2014
Pearls is a wonderful school. Mrs. Gorman, the pre-k teacher is sensitive and responsive to the children's needs. My son feels happy and cared for at Pearls.

PEARLS Hawthorne 1

Posted August 20, 2014
I find this school to be absolutely horrendous. The students are very unpleasant, and the school its self has a terrible atmosphere. There is almost no motivation for students to learn and even though the school claims to be for the "gifted and talented" you are surrounded as a student with bad work ethic. If you are considering attending this school I can tell you that you would be making a mistake by going here.

PEARLS Hawthorne 4

Posted April 01, 2014
In response to the young lady considering moving to Yonkers. First thing is, Yonkers is a school bus district. So, if you are living more than a mile or so from the school you are choosing for your child, you should be good with transportation. But, choose Pearls gifted. Keep in mind that your son needs to take an entrance exam, and I think you missed the sign up date to take that exam for the 2014/2015 school year. So, you might be stuck with putting him in another school for a year until you can have him all signed up for the test. Provided that he passes the test, Pearls is the only place to be!!! Now, living in Yonkers. Hmmm. You said that you have a son in college. No colleges in Yonkers! Mount Saint Vincent is right in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. It's right on the Yonkers border. Get the info on that school and take it from there. If you want to live in Yonkers, try the north or the east part of Yonkers, closer to the cross county shopping center or along that area. The great thing about Yonkers is that transportation is very easy and Yonkers is central to many areas. Don't live in 10701, 10705, part of 10704, and a small part of 10703. And, be careful of police!

350 Hawthorne Avenue, Yonkers, NY  10705
Last modified PEARLS Hawthorne is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.