The Seed Day Care Center

Private | 20 students

Student diversity

Living in Yorktown Heights

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $351,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,520.

Sweep tile

Posted June 3, 2013

After having had a child at The Seed for the last 5+ years, I can honestly say that no other school in its category compares. Both of my children have been through the program (including the full-day kindergarten) and loved every day while learning. This school's teachers are incredibly nurturing, experienced, and compassionate. They are so attentive and my children have always felt special in their care. I always felt confident about The Seed's high standards for hiring teachers as well. The staff turnover is incredibly low and this is no surprise as I have consistently observed how respectfully the staff is treated. A hot, nutritious lunch and snacks are served daily. The Seed also offers a wonderful summer camp program which facilitates the child's adjustment to their Fall classroom while providing so much fun with different daily activities. At the kindergarten level, the full day cost compared to the public school with aftercare is actually lower. There are no snow closings and a monthly Parents Night is offered on Fridays. I will be forever grateful to The Seed for giving my children such a great start in life!

Posted April 21, 2009

My son has been at The Seed since last summer and we couldn't be happier with our choice! We chose The Seed for so many reasons, the main one being the extremely high quality care and concern for each child. Throughout our extensive search for a preschool in Westchester, we consistently heard rave reviews about The Seed. In addition to the high quality of care, we chose the The Seed because the school hires top teachers, mostly with graduate school level education, there is an extremely low rate staff turnover, the meals are all nutritious as well as kid-friendly, the program is extremely solid and stimulating, is NAEYC certified, has no snow days, is reasonably priced, parents are always welcomed, directors and teachers are so approachable and accessible, and last but not least my son loves it!! We look forward to enrolling our younger son next year!

Posted February 28, 2009

From the first day that I dropped my son off, he never shed a tear, neither have I. He has so much fun and can't stop talking about the science experiments. Somedays he asks me to leave him longer! The staff are loving and knowledgeable about child development. His day is filled with motivating activities, positive play experiences and nutritious food in a safe, clean, and organized environment. We also enjoy the added benefit of Parent's Night Out !!

Posted February 26, 2009

After seeing many schools in our area, I found 'The Seed' to be the best. It provides a great nurturing environment for a child. The teachers are so kind and loving that you feel fortunate to have found it.

Posted February 21, 2009

We are very pleased with The Seed. They have provided our child with a caring and nuturing environment.

Posted February 8, 2009

The Seed has been an absolutely wonderful environment for our daughter to learn and gain confidence in a very individualized way. We couldn't be happier with our choice!

Posted February 7, 2009

An excellent learning and nurturing environment! Children truly do blossom @ The Seed! A++

Posted January 7, 2009

A wonderful school! After I visited close to 10 schools in the area, the minute I walked into the Seed I knew this was the place for our daughter. The school was spotless and the children seemed very happy. All the teachers have a very high level of education and are incredibly nurturing and caring, well beyond their duties. The fact that my daughter never wants to leave when I come to pick her up is a wonderful sign. The Seed also provides very nutritious, homemade meals for the children which is great. I love the fact that my daughter utilizes the whole 'house' during her day at school instead of being stuck in one classroom all day. Children rotate through different stations as they learn art, movement, language, etc. The Seed has been in operation since 1980 which makes me feel they are a solid, trustworthy school.

Posted June 15, 2008

I have found The Seed to be a great place for children AND teachers. The homey setting, the age-appropriate activities, and students from families who truly put their children first make The Seed a wonderful working environment. You can tell that everyone at The Seed cares about helping the children develop all their possibilities in life, and grow into healthy, happy individuals with a love for learning. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 11, 2006

The Seed is a school where the children really come first. Their individual artistic expression is evident always; there are never bulletin boards covered with cookie-cutter projects. Every child is given the opportunity to learn the academics in a real-world context at his/her own pace. I have never seen any rote drilling. Children are exposed to world cultures, science, art, Spanish, and more. Early literacy is taught as a tool to explore the world, not as an end in itself, such as by studying letters without a context. It is an atmosphere where the children's gifts are truly cherished and built upon. The children get plenty of self-directed exercise. The only down-side is there are not any PE trained teachers of which I am aware, and gross-motor delays may be missed by the staff at the school.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Italian
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Gujarati
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Licensed by NYS Office of Children and Family Services (2005)
  • Registered with NYS Education Department

Transportation options
  • None

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Parents are invited to share their culture, profession, hobbies or anything else with the children.