Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

this is my son's first year at this school and he is bullied and picked on by kids and when he said something the counselor told him not to be so sensitive. what type of crapt is that it is almost like they support the bad kids and punish the good ones. the so called principal of the school will not meet with parents. at least me. I've tried several times. I keep getting sent to guidance and that's a joke. the administration is very very unfriendly. they walk around like they are too good to be spoken to. these young teachers are not teaching what needs to be learned. this core program where there isn't books is for the birds. I know my child isn't ready for next year and yet they have passed him. even his young teachers are clueless. I'm having to reteachave everything he learns because he don't understand it. get the administration straight. Mr. superintendent from va. you run a better ship than this

Amount of homework: Agree

Only a few teachers -the tenured ones truly teach - there are some good teachers here. It's administration that stinks

There are some good teachers here but not a good spirit. There is a new principal who is unfriendly and doesn't respond to questions about anything - curriculum . Social concerns or teacher communication . This school is not the strong educational place it was two years ago. My child is miserable and so are we. Can't wait to get out of this school . We will say the coaches and sports are good. Tenured teachers seem to rise above the administration pettiness.

The new principal who came on board mid year last year is awful. She passes off parent concerns to whomever she can instead of addressing them. She fails to deal with discipline issues in the classroom. She seems to be more concerned about the paint color on the walls than what's best for the students. The teacher turnover rate has increased greatly since she arrived. If you have any other options, transfer. We are counting the days until we are out of this school.

Develops character: Disagree

Education on bullying and social media needed. mean girl drama needs counseling. attitude of inclusiveness apart from sports and clubs is not there.

There is new leadership at this school. We have had some great teachers in the past. We now feel like the staff is spread too thin and discipline issues are affecting learning. The principal sends out a good communication each week but otherwise is unapproachable. "Mean kid" issues including social media bullying were addressed in the past to teach kids behavior and anti bullying . We are not seeing that this year nor the safety officer presence. The verdict still out on how this affects education. Clubs and sports and PTA at this school are all great.

All of my years at West Lake have been amazing! It is a very hard core school but everything is done to raise your potential. This school has been known for lots of homework, which is true coming from a current eighth grader at this school, but now I am almost positive I'm prepared for high school. I don't know what I would have done if it weren't for all my amazing teachers that really do care about everyone and encouraged me to do better and study harder. Our sports teams are really hard to make but that's a reason that we are so good in almost all of them. Their have been mean kids at school, the only thing you can do is avoid them and be sure to get in the right crowd when you start school. If things really get bad that is when you tell a teacher or talk to the school counselor so they can handle the problem. You really have to work hard and do your best each year, but those three have been the best.

This school has great potential, but the staff could use a nudge in a more positive direction. They let children slip through the cracks and a big issues seems to be lost grades! SPAN is useless for reporting grades because the teachers do not keep the accounts up to date. Speaking with the principle is like pulling teeth (very defensive!) and they don't care what your concerns are for your child's furture. Seem to be in it for a paycheck. Not a good approach to teaching (especially when preparing for high school). Time for a change!

I just graduated from West Lake and am currently going to attend Middle Creek this coming month. I couldn't see myself spending my three years of middle school anywhere else! It was a great environment to learn, and the teachers were extremely helpful, even when you didn't realize you needed a little nudge. The student body is full of kind students (for the most part) and not only that but the administration really cracks down on those who need discipline. I am going to sincerely miss West Lake and all of the teachers in it.

The office personel is friendly and helpful. However the Principal doesn't give a flip about your situation or anything!! I wish my child didn't have to go here just because of her! The teachers seem to be great....Get a new principal!

Last modified West Lake Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.