Posted April 09, 2014
We have a great experince with this school. We moved from chapel hill in mid of the session and our son who is in KG got well settled in a day and is always excited about going to school. It's a great change from his previous experince in Chapel hill where he will always try to get reasons not to attend the class. Teachers are very friendly and energetic.

Posted September 26, 2013
Apex Elementary is a wonderful school. The teacher and staff involvement are a plus. My child attends kindergarten and has been very happy so far. The staff and her teacher are always available to speak should you have any issues.

Posted July 24, 2013
Well as the new school year is right around the corner , I have a few things to share , my son just finished kindergarten at apex elementary in june . Now my son will be heading to 1st and my daughter will start kindergarten there, I was not impressed last year at all not even half way thru the school year I received a letter from my sons teacher telling me he would not be going to first grade , that he wasn't at the level the others were, number one my son did pass with flying colors, number two its wasnt even half the year and if you as a teacher are telling me this tgen you need to quit . She should have said I think you son needs a tutor or special help . Not how it was put. This year I will be prepared to deal with the teachers and the principal , and the male gym teacher . If I could my kids would attend Balcum elementary.

Apex Elementary 3

Posted July 15, 2013
We have experienced several exceptional teachers at this school and one ineffective teacher. My primary concern with the school is with the administration. Both Dr. Crissman and Ms. Pratt are very curt in email communication. Paired with the excessively wordy ramblings Dr. Crissman writes in the newsletter, the email communications feel dismissive. I'm especially disappointed in the way the administration marginalizes working parents. Meet the teacher day is always in the middle of the morning (~10-noon)-- impossible for children of working parents to attend! Ms. Pratt's response to this concern was pretty much a curt "too bad". Yes, Dr. Crissman does know the name of all the children. But my child informed me she has *never* spoken to her in 4 years. That makes it feel more like a parlor trick than any real concern for the children. All in all, my children are happy with the school because of *mostly* good teachers and because of the positive peer group environment. The high test scores in the school are likely primarily due to the socioeconomic status of the children who attend, and for a fair share of dedicated teachers. The male PE teacher is definitely an issue, as well.

Posted June 06, 2013
Not to discredit anyone's experiences or opinions, but the negative reviews below are a stark contrast to my experience at AES. Each teacher we have had over the years has been incredible and my children are receiving an excellent education. The principal is extremely involved in the daily lives of the students, even attending the end-of-the year class party for my son's class. In my experience, the school has done an excellent job taking issues such as safety and bullying quite seriously. And, parents can be involved if they so choose and take the time to get a volunteer badge (which is not difficult or time consuming to do). I'm proud for my kids to attend AES and am thankful for the individuals (i.e., parents, teachers, PTA, administration, staff) who have given so much of themselves to make AES one of the best schools in NC! Thanks AES!

Posted April 22, 2013
I definitely disagree with the last few negative reviews regarding this school. I am a former elementary teacher and I am very pleased with the way the school is run. Dr. Crissman does a great job of providing a welcoming environment and knows all of the students by name. My son has ADHD and he has received great support from the classroom teacher and special education staff. He has made great strides throughout the year due to the hard work of the staff. Parents are encouraged to volunteer and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved. The PTA is wonderful and most of the families seem to play an active role in their child's education. In my opinion, this type of attitude strongly determines your overall experience at any school Apex Elementary is an excellent school and it shows through the high test results and nine out of ten rating on this site.

Posted October 28, 2012
school is ok, the principal needs to act like a principal , the gym teacher picks on kids who arent white , best advice be on your p's and q's my kid will not be there next year , id prefer switching before gym man thinks he can be mean to my kid , My friends son won't eat breakfast now because the man was mean to him he's in kinder and he was going and eating every morning until gym man said mean things and now the kid won't go near the man !

Posted July 08, 2012
This is our children's first year at Apex Elementary, and I'm not really impressed with the way things are being ran. Very little support and/or presence from the principal. If your child has any academic issues, then be prepared to jump through hoops to get assistance because it isn't available, and funding for Title 1 will not be an option next year. This was my first year missing the children's field day because the school only allows volunteers, that's right, no parents allow at field day. They really need to work on inviting parents to be apart of their children's activities. It's unfortunate, but there is a 'clicky' and closed minded atmosphere which is obvious. Some of the teachers aren't happy with the leadership. As with any school, some teachers are willing to work with their students and others will pretend to care. So be prepared to fight for A.G., I.E.P and other programs that may or may not be offered at the school. Hopefully next year will be better. We will give it 1 more year, afterwards, we will submit a transfer request to remove the children from this school.

Apex Elementary 1

Posted June 15, 2011
I can relate to a couple of folks on here unlike them however my children were t the school for over 5 years.There is a "clicky" feel.One of my children were also bullied by a teacher at the school,but what concerned me is that when I reported it the principal was quick to defend the teacher and our concerns were ignored.We also had the problem as well with homework not being given to the children.So unless you have been through what some of us parents have been through then you have no idea.

Posted April 07, 2011
I have to disagree with the last comment. My family moved to Apex 2 years ago, and we have been every happy with Apex Elem. My daughter has attended 2nd & 3rd grade at this school, and we've found the staff and teachers to be very caring and attentive. The principal is very involved. My daughter was made to feel so welcome when we moved here. I haven't noticed an "Apex click" or a "tired" feeling the school. It is a very positive energetic environment, and my daughter has flourished at this school. There is the AIG program for advanced studies for children who need to be challenged beyond what's being offered in the classroom. I have no complaints about this school.

Apex Elementary
700 Tingen Road, Apex, NC  27502
Last modified Apex Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Apex Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews.