Posted November 08, 2013
I'm surprised by the negative comments from a lot of folks. We are new to the school, sophomore year, and come from Silicon Valley schools in California. The curriculum here is twice as fast (semester classes vs whole year) and my daughter has had all the help she has needed to acclimate. All of her teachers have taken time for her! Math tutoring is available EVERY day by 5 different teachers and peers. PTSA is strong and approachable. Communication with teachers and counselors has been easy and met with quick responses. Yes, the buildings are a bit old looking and yes, the school is crowded (we came from a school of 1400) but every school in Wake is dealing with this issue. Apex offers so much more for my student then what she could have received in the heart of Silicon Valley! More friends, more club opportunities and many more class options to choose from. If you don't feel the same then maybe Apex is not a good fit for your child, there are lots of other options out there and may be worth looking into. For us Apex is A+

Posted October 10, 2013
I have had 2 kids at this school and I have tutored many other kids that go here. It has to be one of the worst high schools in Wake County. The teachers are terrible and do not know how to teach well, they do not give appropriate homework that promotes learning, they test things they have not taught, and generally don't care if students succeed. Their math curriculum is 10 times harder than other schools in the area and the teachers just read off power points and don't provide students with what they need to study for tests. So many kids fail that teachers look the other way when they cheat or gives D's to a student who hasn't learned anything just to get them through. I would not recommend this school at all.

Apex High 5

Posted September 24, 2013
Apex High School has many opportunities for students to try different area's of life like medical, music, technology and so on. Funding has been tough and it is in need of a revamp (I believe it is on the list) but most of the teachers and students are supportive and seem to care. I think administration is doing an excellent job with what they have and very happy to see they are supportive of the Strings Program.

Posted August 22, 2013
Be careful with this school. If you think that you might need more than a roof and a teacher, you will want to avoid Apex High. The rating of 8/10 is extremely misleading. They do not focus on academics, the school is dirty, and they are equipped with teachers who do not take the time nor the effort to care about their students. The classrooms are quite small, the school is in slight disrepair, and the faculty are unfriendly and unhelpful. The teachers have 30+ students per class and don't have time for students after class. The grading scale is 8-point, which is either good or bad depending on what you are used to. Be wary of Apex High. It is the bare bones of a school, and it does not exist to make its students successful.

Apex High 2

Posted July 10, 2013
In my experience, I feel they have more students than they can handle which leave the children that may need any focused attention left ignored. My child spent his 9th grade year here and as the beginning of common core math teaching went underway he struggled desperately to get it. I brought this to the teachers attention, it was essentially ignored and the response was "it's a new teaching method he will catch on" weeks went by and I had to literally email 5 various principals until someone finally responded as his grades reflected a failing average. They scrambled to arrange a teacher meeting, she had no solutions to his concerns except to "stay after for tutoring" which he had been doing for weeks. My son had a B average in honors science, honors English, and honors history and failed first term math. There was never an intervention, he was dropped to a lower intro math and I did try to communicate with staff but found them highly unresponsive and the only way to reach them is with email that often failed to send. My son does have ADD, which was a fact treated as irrelevant to their teaching methods. My son is atypical, they can't handle the atypical.

Apex High 5

Posted June 19, 2013
Our son just graduated this year (2013) with a 3.93gpa, is attending ECU in the fall and was accepted to 5 other universities. He participated in the AOIT (Academy of Information Technology) program which really was beneficial in his educational progress. Couldn't be happier!

Posted April 09, 2013
I currently have a child at Apex, and one that has already graduated. We have loved Apex in the years we have been here. I agree that the building is old, and overcrowding does exist, but that is a county wide problem, not inclusive to Apex. You cannot judge a book by it's cover, although the campus is older, there is a wonderful sense of community, with the PTSA, sports programs, drama, music, band, and other clubs. Parent involvement is evident, and the staff is always friendly and helpful. The principal is excellent, and he is also a parent at the school. Staff is always present at all functions we have attended. For the most part we have been pleased with teachers, only a few we didnt care for over the last 6+ years we have been there. I have never seen, nor have my children ever seen smoking on campus, so previous comments by students may be exaggerated. When we moved to the area we looked at all the schools in Wake County, and Apex was our top choice! They have excellent test scores, and a wonderful sense of community. Overall, Apex has been a great experience for us.

Posted May 20, 2012
Many students that graduate here go to top colleges nationwide. Some examples are Notre Dame, West Point, Duke, UNC- Chapel Hill...it's true that the top teachers teach AP/Honors classes, but doesn't that make sense?

Posted January 19, 2012
Teachers are awful, students are somewhat nice. overcrowded, discouraging, depressing environment. i am transferring next year to a different school because i am unimpressed with what i have dealt with at apex high school. people smoke everywhere on campus and it is absolutely disgusting! most of them are underage, and that is probably the only thing that is seemed to be encouraged at apex. staff does not mind if students are smoking and they don't tell them to stop if they do mind it. it has just been really disappointing here at apex and i just have to say i cannot wait to be in a better environment with people involved in sports and a better education. it may seem harsh, but apex really and truly sucks. everyone there seems to put a depressing vibe on the school. everyone seems to be in little cliques and i think that sports and better grades need to be highly encouraged at apex.

Posted January 10, 2012
As parents of a junior student, we are pleased with our child's performance starting both at Apex Middle School and now at Apex High School. Yes, 2,300 students can be challenging and buildings show their age as with any school similar in size - especially during these economic times. Recent SAT scores placed AHS near the top among all area high schools. We also try and stay abreast of EOG scores and regularly check grades on-line. We're fortunate see a distinct desire to learn, a solid command of subject matter, access to teachers, particpation in sports and a solid circle of friends who we know by name. We monitor grade performance but also talk about the "school intangibles" (drugs, drinking, etc) and their consequences. We're especially proud of his/her involvement with the two academic organizations. Challenges will always exist but staying engaged and part of the education process ensures success. We reinforce that it's his/her responsibility to take control of her education. We provide advice when asked and direction when needed. In the end, Apex High School provides the skills and helps create a desire for our student to continue his/her education beyond high school.

Apex High
1501 Laura Duncan Road, Apex, NC  27502
Last modified Apex High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Apex High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews.