Posted February 23, 2013
Excellent environment, exceptional programs, admirable teachers, assistants, principal and staff, overall a great neighborhood school.

Baucom Elementary 4

Posted November 21, 2012
Love the school and the staff. Teachers are generally great. The worst thing I can think of is, that there are more than a few kids in trailers.

Baucom Elementary 4

Posted October 05, 2012
We have two, soon to be three children at Baucom. We have found the staff to be caring, up front, expecting responsibility of the students, and they know each and every kid who walks through the door. We have not loved all of our teachers but have found that there is always the highest expectation of work done by students. When we did have an issue with a teacher, it was dealt with appropriately. We were not pushed aside, but met with all involved and the principal did what she should, she stood by her teacher and yet listened to us and addressed the issue at hand. I love their pull-out programs such as KITS and Explorers for supplemental learning opportunities. The specials are great and they have wonderful community events that are amazingly well attended by families. This is a community school in many ways. There are endless ways to be involved in your child's education.

Posted September 13, 2011
My son goes to Baucom and we love it. Teachers have always responded quickly and provided an excellent education for my son. He loves going there. The school calls each parent with a weekly recorded message providing the latest news. My son's teachers have posted homework on their class webpage so that I know exactly what is going on. The school does a wonderful job of providing a fun and safe community atmosphere by encouraging lots of out of school events. I honestly feel that the teachers have done a great job teaching my son and given him the extra attention he needs when he needs it.

Baucom Elementary 2

Posted April 15, 2011
Baucom has a lot of problems that are masked by the principal's vast personal charisma. I know of 8 parents who have complained about the treatment of their children by teachers there. In every case, the concerns have been brushed aside and the kid referred to counseling. Bullies rule the roost there and the school lacks the will to confront the issue head on. Visiting the school you will notice one thing: silence. You rarely hear kids excitedly responding to the learning experience. They are often punished in the lunchroom with "silent lunch" for being too loud when the volume gets above a whisper. The school offers little incentive to excel academically. There are many teachers that do little more than hand out worksheet after worksheet.There are some marvelous teachers there, too. Spots in those teachers' classes seem to be reserved for the kids of PTA parents so get involved!

Baucom Elementary 0

Posted April 14, 2008
We love this school. Our daughter previously attended a Catholic School in Apex where she was miserable and hated school. Since she's started at Baucom, she has improved in everything from skills to social behavior. She loves her teachers and the other students.

Baucom Elementary 2

Posted January 08, 2008
The teachers in this school are very average. My child's teacher's website, as well as papers sent home, contain spelling and grammatical errors! I really don't feel that the staff here cares about the children. (except for the p.e. teacher-who is great!) Both of my children spend Friday afternoons 'correcting' papers as a class- as well as watching movies. On several days, my child's class has double recess. The math program is the worst. My child has gone from a confident, happy child who loved school, to one who is frustrated and full of self doubt! In an effort to increase fitness, students are forced to walk the track at recess and must walk if they break any classroom rules or if they forget their homework! The Special Ed. program is marginal at best. We are definitely looking at other options for next year. This entire district is a mess.

Posted January 05, 2008
My children are in 2nd and 4th grade and Baucom is their 3rd school. Although we made the choice purely for scheduling reasons, we have been very pleasantly surprised by the remarkable improvements that we have seen in our boys! Our oldest has always been a good student, but is doing even better. Our youngest has struggled every year until now. Now he is thriving, and actually enjoys school! All of the schools have limitations that are beyond their control. I am sure that over the next 10 years there will be things and people that I won't like, or will wish were different, but it will be that way anywhere!

Posted January 05, 2008
Having been a teacher at Baucom prior to having children of my own, I made a choice regarding where to live based on where they would go to school. I chose the Baucom school district. My oldest is now soaring in middle school. My youngest is thriving at Baucom, and loves it there. I have always found that positive parental involvement makes all the difference, and is always welcome at Baucom.

Baucom Elementary 3

Posted December 09, 2007
The staff has a smug attidtude of 'Trust us, we're professionals,' but doesn't back it up with proficiency. Actually limits parent involvement to volunteer opportunities and lunch visits. I am not impressed or fooled. Social Studies (except holidays and heroes) and Science are an afterthought. Mediocity is being nurtured here.

Baucom Elementary
400 Hunter Street, Apex, NC  27502
Last modified Baucom Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Baucom Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.