Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Our experience at OCE has been nothing but wonderful. My child loves going to school. The teachers we've had make learning fun. The guidance lessons aim at having open discussions including fighting against bullies and how to handle the situation if the child witnesses or experiences bullying. Parent involvement is active. There is a vast array of diversity. My child's class has children from at least six different countries. The PTA strives to raise money and treat teachers well. Parent communication has increased with the new administration.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

They talk about it in the class in increase the awareness.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Great AIG teachers. Helped us understand the pros and cons of various accelerated programs (Ms. Danielle Green)

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Dr. Steidinger is great! So are the rest of the team.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Kind, effective. Our child looks forward to going to school everyday

Great teachers, excellent communication. A lot has changed in the past year and most of the issues from older reviews have been addressed. The new Principal has a lot to do with these changes. We are happy our child goes to this school.

Administration seems more interested in covering themselves than listening to parent concerns. They do not take responsibility for their actions. If you have issues, I recommend keeping it all in writing and not only phone and conference. Unfortunately I thought this was a great school until I had to speak to the Administration.

Unless your child is starting kindergarten, new families are in the dark. The administrative staff does not clearly communicate procedures for carpool, meal plans, ID's or anything. I think they are very disorganized with their "learn and apply as you go" way of doing things. We came from a traditional school experience where all the meal, transportation and other logistics were done on Registration Day, BEFORE school starts. Maybe the track schedule makes this more challenging for the school, but since 3 of the 4 tracks start the same day, I don't see why logistics can't be completed before school starts. They even had a welcome night for new OCE families and didn't provide a "new family packet" of sorts including necessary forms for the start of the school year. What on earth?! As though this is not enough, I feel like we're being nickel and dimed for the supplies. We're being required to purchase agendas for our kids and pay for subscriptions to children's publication's as part of their curriculum like Time for Kids. I don't mind investing in my child's education, however, I prefer to have a choice over the books and magazines I want to purchase for my kids. Again, in traditional school we paid a registration fee, the teachers provided the agendas and we the parents got to choose to order publications from Scholastic instead of the school imposing publications on us. This is our first year in this year round experience and I'm not happy. I will stick it out the rest of the year and see how my kids do. I'll try to update my review as the year continues.

The only reason I'm writing a review on this site is because there isn't a site called poorschools.org. The ineffective leadership team at this school is driving a once thriving learning atmosphere into a place filled with poor attitudes and horrible culture. We've had 2 children (one now in high school and one in middle) come through Olive chapel and have wonderful experiences. Our youngest (now 4th grader) is not on pace to have anywhere near the same experience. Due to Mrs. Lavery's poor leadership and guidance its been relayed to us that over 1/3 of the staff are leaving this year, this is in addition to the over dozen that have left the prior 2 years. What once was a great learning environment for our children is now being filled with inexperienced, inferior educators. Decisions are being made NOT with the school or children's best interest at heart. I don't blame any of the teachers for leaving and myself and most of my neighbors are doing everything we can to get our children out of there as quickly as possible. If you are looking for a school to shape our leaders of tomorrow, look elsewhere. Olive chapel elementary is NOT the place to send them.

We've been at OCE for about 8 years and we have really been sad to see current administration's lack of leadership. While many of the teachers have been great there is a flood of talent leaving and its clear that administration is a root cause. Its time for a change at the top. Glad we are almost done.

Last modified Olive Chapel Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.