Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted September 28, 2015
Administration seems more interested in covering themselves than listening to parent concerns. They do not take responsibility for their actions. If you have issues, I recommend keeping it all in writing and not only phone and conference. Unfortunately I thought this was a great school until I had to speak to the Administration.

Posted July 18, 2015
Unless your child is starting kindergarten, new families are in the dark. The administrative staff does not clearly communicate procedures for carpool, meal plans, ID's or anything. I think they are very disorganized with their "learn and apply as you go" way of doing things. We came from a traditional school experience where all the meal, transportation and other logistics were done on Registration Day, BEFORE school starts. Maybe the track schedule makes this more challenging for the school, but since 3 of the 4 tracks start the same day, I don't see why logistics can't be completed before school starts. They even had a welcome night for new OCE families and didn't provide a "new family packet" of sorts including necessary forms for the start of the school year. What on earth?! As though this is not enough, I feel like we're being nickel and dimed for the supplies. We're being required to purchase agendas for our kids and pay for subscriptions to children's publication's as part of their curriculum like Time for Kids. I don't mind investing in my child's education, however, I prefer to have a choice over the books and magazines I want to purchase for my kids. Again, in traditional school we paid a registration fee, the teachers provided the agendas and we the parents got to choose to order publications from Scholastic instead of the school imposing publications on us. This is our first year in this year round experience and I'm not happy. I will stick it out the rest of the year and see how my kids do. I'll try to update my review as the year continues.

Posted May 13, 2015
The only reason I'm writing a review on this site is because there isn't a site called poorschools.org. The ineffective leadership team at this school is driving a once thriving learning atmosphere into a place filled with poor attitudes and horrible culture. We've had 2 children (one now in high school and one in middle) come through Olive chapel and have wonderful experiences. Our youngest (now 4th grader) is not on pace to have anywhere near the same experience. Due to Mrs. Lavery's poor leadership and guidance its been relayed to us that over 1/3 of the staff are leaving this year, this is in addition to the over dozen that have left the prior 2 years. What once was a great learning environment for our children is now being filled with inexperienced, inferior educators. Decisions are being made NOT with the school or children's best interest at heart. I don't blame any of the teachers for leaving and myself and most of my neighbors are doing everything we can to get our children out of there as quickly as possible. If you are looking for a school to shape our leaders of tomorrow, look elsewhere. Olive chapel elementary is NOT the place to send them.

Posted May 12, 2015
We've been at OCE for about 8 years and we have really been sad to see current administration's lack of leadership. While many of the teachers have been great there is a flood of talent leaving and its clear that administration is a root cause. Its time for a change at the top. Glad we are almost done.

Posted September 23, 2013
I feel OCE has an exceptionally strong bond among the parents because the parents and kids (in each track) have an opportunity to bond over time since they are together for all of elementary school versus a year round school where your child will be placed with kids in their grade which includes 5-6 classes versus 2 classes in a year round school.

Posted September 08, 2013
My daughter finished with Olive Chapel and had a good experience, but my second grader has not. New and inexperienced teachers at every grade, overcrowded, and no nurturing support. I feel my son is loosing valuable time at this school. I feel the school has gone backwards in terms of progress.

Posted September 07, 2013
My son is in 2nd grade now. We are not pleased with the qualification of teachers. Instead of focusing on providing quality care for little children, they are rule keepers. They do not care about students' emotional/mental/psychological health at all. They worry too much about not being in trouble after incidents or problems happened by students. The education is not good at all. My son is 1-2 grades behind.

Posted May 18, 2013
my son started there in 2009-2010 school year, first grade was rather bumpy!! second grade better!! i absolutely loved mrs price, third grade, great!! love mrs adame!! fourth grade, good, loved ms cowen, but she left!! i think that mr tussey is great for my son, i love the school, though communication can be fine tuned some but it is still a great school. (bus transportation issues) i have been dealing with wcpss since 1994 consecutively!! and with my last child starting school in 2008 this is the first time i actually had to deal with the zone issues that put my son ( who lives in cary) in a school that is in apex, with the bussing issues that has him getting home more than sometimes 2 hours after dismissal when there are 4 schools that are closer and 3 in walking distance. my son loves his school very much! and that is worth keeping him there and not moving him again!1 thank you!!

Posted December 07, 2012
We have not been pleased with the school. The parent volunteers make the school work. In my opinion the administration has had bad communication. The teachers have been hit or miss as far as quality of education.

Posted November 21, 2011
I wish this website would update the reviews. The only poor reviews are from years ago, and I've had a great experience - so have many of the parents I talk to. The teachers my child has are wonderful, and the others I've met through volunteer work are involved and motivated. Even our bus driver is top-notch. The Walking School Bus, Family Marathon, and Landlubbers club offer incentives for the kids to stay healthy and active, there are many opportunities for students to work on literacy skills, and our teachers at least are open to tailoring educational needs to the individual child's skill level. We moved here for this school, and we have not been disappointed.

Olive Chapel Elementary
1751 Olive Chapel Rd, Apex, NC  27502
Last modified Olive Chapel Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.