Apex, NC

Posted June 07, 2015
This is a great school! The few negative reviews that are on here were obviously submitted by folks who are well...uncomfortable putting a name to their anonymous and probably fictitious rating and incorrect comments. Most of the staff who are leaving are going to traditional calendar schools and there are several brand new schools opening up. Who wouldn't want to work in a brand new building, with people excited to be there for the very same reason? So, with over 953 plus kids and great test scores at OCE, why are only 2 people making nasty comments? Hmmmmm the other 951 set of parents must be A-okay!!! My kids love it there...we're staying and very happy to be doing so! So if you're unhappy take your kids and go where you all can go spread your misery somewhere else. The administration is doing something right! People should leave if they aren't happy and leave the ones who are there to continue to do a great job! So long sour grapes...and best of luck! Me and my kids will go with a sure thing! An administration who makes choices with EVERY student in mind. That you will certainly find at OCE

Posted May 13, 2015
The only reason I'm writing a review on this site is because there isn't a site called poorschools.org. The ineffective leadership team at this school is driving a once thriving learning atmosphere into a place filled with poor attitudes and horrible culture. We've had 2 children (one now in high school and one in middle) come through Olive chapel and have wonderful experiences. Our youngest (now 4th grader) is not on pace to have anywhere near the same experience. Due to Mrs. Lavery's poor leadership and guidance its been relayed to us that over 1/3 of the staff are leaving this year, this is in addition to the over dozen that have left the prior 2 years. What once was a great learning environment for our children is now being filled with inexperienced, inferior educators. Decisions are being made NOT with the school or children's best interest at heart. I don't blame any of the teachers for leaving and myself and most of my neighbors are doing everything we can to get our children out of there as quickly as possible. If you are looking for a school to shape our leaders of tomorrow, look elsewhere. Olive chapel elementary is NOT the place to send them.

Posted May 12, 2015
We've been at OCE for about 8 years and we have really been sad to see current administration's lack of leadership. While many of the teachers have been great there is a flood of talent leaving and its clear that administration is a root cause. Its time for a change at the top. Glad we are almost done.

Posted September 23, 2013
I feel OCE has an exceptionally strong bond among the parents because the parents and kids (in each track) have an opportunity to bond over time since they are together for all of elementary school versus a year round school where your child will be placed with kids in their grade which includes 5-6 classes versus 2 classes in a year round school.

Olive Chapel Elementary 2

Posted September 08, 2013
My daughter finished with Olive Chapel and had a good experience, but my second grader has not. New and inexperienced teachers at every grade, overcrowded, and no nurturing support. I feel my son is loosing valuable time at this school. I feel the school has gone backwards in terms of progress.
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 07, 2013
My son is in 2nd grade now. We are not pleased with the qualification of teachers. Instead of focusing on providing quality care for little children, they are rule keepers. They do not care about students' emotional/mental/psychological health at all. They worry too much about not being in trouble after incidents or problems happened by students. The education is not good at all. My son is 1-2 grades behind.

Posted May 18, 2013
my son started there in 2009-2010 school year, first grade was rather bumpy!! second grade better!! i absolutely loved mrs price, third grade, great!! love mrs adame!! fourth grade, good, loved ms cowen, but she left!! i think that mr tussey is great for my son, i love the school, though communication can be fine tuned some but it is still a great school. (bus transportation issues) i have been dealing with wcpss since 1994 consecutively!! and with my last child starting school in 2008 this is the first time i actually had to deal with the zone issues that put my son ( who lives in cary) in a school that is in apex, with the bussing issues that has him getting home more than sometimes 2 hours after dismissal when there are 4 schools that are closer and 3 in walking distance. my son loves his school very much! and that is worth keeping him there and not moving him again!1 thank you!!

Posted December 07, 2012
We have not been pleased with the school. The parent volunteers make the school work. In my opinion the administration has had bad communication. The teachers have been hit or miss as far as quality of education.
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 21, 2011
I wish this website would update the reviews. The only poor reviews are from years ago, and I've had a great experience - so have many of the parents I talk to. The teachers my child has are wonderful, and the others I've met through volunteer work are involved and motivated. Even our bus driver is top-notch. The Walking School Bus, Family Marathon, and Landlubbers club offer incentives for the kids to stay healthy and active, there are many opportunities for students to work on literacy skills, and our teachers at least are open to tailoring educational needs to the individual child's skill level. We moved here for this school, and we have not been disappointed.

Posted May 02, 2011
We switched from a small private school with a 6:1 student teacher ratio and I am just as pleased with the quality of education at OCE as the private school. Also, the discipline and organization are even better! My children are now learning to take responsiblity for their work. My only disappointment is the school lunches which is a Wake County issue and not an OCE choice.

Olive Chapel Elementary
1751 Olive Chapel Road, Apex, NC  27502
Last modified Olive Chapel Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Olive Chapel Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top