St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 675 students

We are best known for our strong sense of community and shared commitment.

Living in Apex

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $250,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $795.

Sweep tile

Posted April 1, 2014

My children started attending STMM in 2002, two years after it opened. Since then, the school has consistently grown and improved because of the cooperation and care of the administration, staff, parents and students to all work toward a school environment that nurtures a child academically and spiritually. My two oldest children went on to successful high school experiences as well as college. My youngest has one year left at STMM and we will truly miss the community, the school Mass, the special Christmas, Advent and Lent activities as well as all the stewardship drives, sports teams and social events. I highly recommend this school not only because its strong academics and caring teachers make good students, but because all the rest makes them good people.

Posted March 26, 2014

Saint Mary Magdalene is a excellent school. My oldest started here at age 3 and is now a freshman at Cardinal Gibbons. All 11 years at STMM were productive and educational. She had caring teachers that supported and helped her. Middle school teachers would stay after school to give extra help when needed. She was a B student at STMM and is now is mostly A's in high school. The middle school teachers did a great job preparing her for high school. My second child is currently in 6th grade and I have found the experience to be similar. STMM is our school and church. It is like a second family to my children. Father Staib, the priest, is a wonderful and patient person. It is obvious to all he enjoys the children! I would recommend this school to anyone that wants a community feel in their child's school.

Posted March 20, 2014

St. Mary Magdalene has been a good experience for our family. My kids have gone through the middle school program and were very prepared for high school on many levels. They have the opportunity to be independent in middle school, walking to classes on their own, picking electives and a challenging work load so their transition to high school was smooth. I like that they offer a variety of activities in addition to sports like chess club, drama, science olympiad, dance, jazz band so that every child can find their niche. In addition the campus is beautiful.

Posted March 13, 2014

The middle school is terrible. The other grades are very good and should be considered if you are in the area. If you want a strong middle school. STMM is not it. The teachers are all checked out or watched too many movies with Nuns in it when they were kids. They are more about telling the kids what they did wrong then growing strong young adults. It is a male driven school and if you are hoping your daughter will get strong female leadership then you really are at the wrong school. The school needs a cleaning house. New administration and new middle school teachers. They are just not effective anymore. I have had 4 kids go through the school and decline has been sure and steady. The school is in desperate need of a breathe of fresh air.

Posted December 25, 2013

I would agree with the last review. We have observed a continuing increase in both class size and tuition. The school also offers no multiples discount which makes it increasingly difficult for a family with three children. The teachers are wonderful and make the school. Parent involvement is excellent and much needed by the teachers due to the class size. We will continue to send our children here with the hope that they are gaining a strong academic foundation that justifies the cost.

Posted December 19, 2013

I'll start by saying that I am disappointed to have to rate this school as average but am doing so after a great deal of thought about our experience as parents over the last few months. St. Mary Magdalene's popularity represents both a blessing and a curse. As both Cary and Apex have grown considerably in recent years, large numbers of Roman Catholics from around the country have moved to the Triangle area, joined their local parishes and sought what used to be called a 'parochial' school education for their children. So this school takes the position that meeting the demands of a burgeoning population with class sizes of 30 means both keeping the tuition at a reasonable level and satisfying the diocese that educational concerns of parishioners is being met. That sounds good and certainly represents one path that any Principal and diocesan administration can take. A problem, of course, arises when your child, as one of 30 under performs in a subject and may require additional teacher time. It will not happen unless you as a parent take an active interest in getting the teacher's attention. I would add that the daily schedule is far too crowded with specials.

Posted September 15, 2013

StMM is a fantastic school with dedicated staff that strive to challenge our children academically, while at the same time helping to develop their Catholic faith and promote Christian ethics & service to others. Our children have attended StMM since preschool, and we feel that it is a wonderful church & school community in which to raise our kids.

Posted September 12, 2013

STMM is a wonderful and vibrant Catholic school. The teachers, staff and students exhibit on a daily basis the important mission of teaching and learning at a high level while caring and praying together and for each other. My child has had six teachers who in so many ways have acted as an extension of our home, instilling beautiful values and while also teaching the subjects at an advanced pace. The neat thing is that the children very often rise to the challenge of strong academics and all other things that go into making a school into a school community. Take note of the school garden. Attend a Thursday morning Mass. Watch the students lead each other in service projects. Cheer for them as the excel on the courts and the fields. You will not find a better partner to assist in raising your child into a responsible young adult.

Posted September 10, 2013

I love this school. I love it so much that I commute an hour round trip to allow my children to attend. They say it takes a village to raise a child. I have three children, so I certainly need a good village! St. Mary Magdalene is that village. The teachers know my children by name before they ever attend their class. They know their siblings, us as parents and even the grandparents. They care for our children in a way that only close friends or family would. The staff and teachers and administration are not just educating our children, but they are helping us parents raise them. They instill spirituality, a moral code, ethics, and even encourage them to nourish their bodies with healthy food. This school is our home. It is our life. And I love it.

Posted June 28, 2013

This place reminds me of the Hunger Games. We wanted to like this school so we gave it three years. We had some great teachers. We also had our share of teachers who did not respect children and their needs. The teaching techniques were a bit dated. Some parents complained and the principal cannot admit that a single thing is wrong with his school including teachers who sit at their desk all day. One parent told me I would just have to "put up with it". I don't think so. There are too many options in the area.

Posted January 4, 2013

We moved to North Carolina a few years ago in the middle of the school year. We were prepared for a hard adjustment but instead St. Mary Magdalene made it a breeze. Our children were welcomed so warmly into the school system as were we into the community of so many transplanted families. From day one, the teachers made a priority to help acclimate my children, getting them up to speed with the curriculum and connected into the spirit of our school. And every day since, the dedication and passion St. Mary Magdalene has for every student made our family feel confident that we made the right decision to enroll into this school. The children are challenged to be the best version of themselves both academically and as young Christians. We are so glad we chose St. Mary Magdalene for our family!

Posted December 17, 2012

My children have been at StMM since 3 year old preschool. Through robust academics, home-cooked meals in the cafeteria, health & physical education, clubs, sports, and arts, I cannot imagine a place that could better support a healthy body, mind, and spirit. The academic philosophy of the school is to teach to the top learners and work with those who have not reached that level so they can be successful. The teachers and assistants do an excellent job treating each child as an individual and providing the appropriate support to improve areas of weakness so everyone is successful. What I love the most about StMM is the community. The parents, teachers and staff work together as a team to create the best educational experience possible for our children. We are friends and we support each other. There is no other school in Wake County where I would ever consider sending my children.

Posted December 11, 2012

My 2 children have attended another private Catholic School in the past. This is our second full year at StMM. By far, it's the best parent/teacher partnership I have experienced. The teachers are excellent, professional and caring. I am extremely happy with the curriculum, the learning environment and the overall family atmosphere. I love the school more and more each day.

Posted March 20, 2012

Overall, St. Mary Magdalene School is a decent learning environment. It is safe, clean, and well-maintained. The curriculum is accelerated. The classroom facilities are adequate for the number of students, though the small cafeteria requires that some students eat too early or late lunches. Most of the teachers are excellent. The downside is an increase in recent years in the number of sub-par teachers. The principal is a very good man who has done a great job of building the school. His weak point is in teacher oversight and review. Otherwise, he would receive 5 stars. Removing the few lower performing teachers would put the school at the top. In short, it's a great school unless your child ends up in the class of a poor teacher. That shouldn't be the case in an expensive private school.

Posted December 1, 2010

We are so happy with St. Mary Magdalene school. This is such a caring environment and everyone knows my daughter. She is very happy to go to school each day and I know she is getting the best education possible. This is truly a second home for her. It is such a great feeling to sit at work all day and know that if anything were to happen she would be well taken care of. I am very grateful for her to be able to receive such a wonderful education. I will never forget one of her first days of Kindergarten when we were new to the carpool experience. I dropped her off and she seemed fine.. but as I pulled away she began to cry and was very upset. I was stuck in line and couldnt go back quickly. I watched in my rear view mirror as an older student, who was probably in 7th or 8th grade, hugged her, talked to her then grabbed her hand and walked her inside. As she was walking inside she waved at me to let me know it was ok to leave. I later learned that the student had actually walked my daughter into her Kindergarten classroom to make sure she was ok before going to her own classroom. This school is just full of amazing kids! The students, teachers and staff are just wonderful!

Posted September 23, 2010

Outstanding teachers and administration, top notch campus and facilities, challenging curriculum (averaging 1-2 grade levels ahead of NC), school-parent-teacher communications with great use of technology, parental involvement, and emphasis on academics with exceptional extracurricular and sports opportunities for students.

Posted June 20, 2010

I graduated from STMM last year and I would have to say that it is one of the best pre-k - 8th grade school around. I loved going to the school, except sometimes the school can have drama issues in the upper grades because it is a small school. I was at StTMM the day it opened to the day I graduated. It's a great place to prepare your child for high school and other conflicts in life, and the religion base gives them a stronger connection to who they are. STMM helped me in the best way because I am a freshman at the best high school in NC, Raleigh Charter High School, with all A's and one B+. STMM can be expensive, but it's worth it in the long run. And parents, Cardinal Gibbons is not the only school after STMM, only half my friends went to Gibbons.

Posted February 13, 2010

I am a student at STMM and I have been attending this school for seven years now. it's a great school despite some of their(expensive)lunches and high expenses for tuition.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 27, 2009

We have found STMM to be a truly wonderful educational environment for our child. The teachers and staff are caring and committed. The principal, Bob Cadran, has strong expectations for the young people he is shaping. Our child feels supported, integrated into a school community and appropriately challenged by the academic work. We have been a part of this school community for 5 years and could not be more pleased with out choice.

Posted December 5, 2008

I am a student here at STMM and i must say i would not reccomend this school to others. The principle is very strict and the school is not well run. If you have an older child (like me) i would say to find another school.
—Submitted by a student

Asian 2% N/A
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 2%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Brains and Bodies - Gold (2011)
  • Brains and Bodies - Gold (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Robert A. Cadran
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Religious
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor