PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Posted December 20, 2015
This was our first year at StMM and we couldn't be happier. We completely disagree with the comment below. Yes, there are higher standards at this school, which is exactly why we have our son here. I expect more structure, higher expectations, and more self responsibility which StMM is far above a public school with. The teachers are very loving here and my son loves going to school. Common core is here to stay. No matter where you go you will hit common core, so I'd deal with it. StMM offers such a balanced education. They are strong in all your core subjects and yet still have great resources for all the specials. I love the fact that my child is learning religion outside of Sunday because Religion is history and the public school is ridiculous to ignore this. How can you understand the world today if you ignore the beginnings? They still teach cursive, foreign languages and they just get a lot of work done in the school day. Much more productive than the public school system. We had our son placement tested and he is well above the norm. We couldn't be happier at StMM and are excited to stay through the catholic school system up to Cardinal Gibbons.

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School 1

Posted October 06, 2015
Unfortunately after leaving an excellent review a few years ago, I must change that. I'm very sad as I had high hopes for this school. It truly is going downhill in my opinion. I do still believe the Pre-K program and Kindergarten are worth checking out. I would call it quits after that though.. The school STILL does not have a church after years of promises. And good luck if you have a 4th grader. One teacher made my child come home crying frequently and turned our school loving child into a school hater! Many parents are unhappy but nobody has enough guts to complain. They are afraid of how everyone will feel about them if they do. They are especially unhappy with the fact that this school adopted common core when they did not have to. When a family leaves they never want to say why.. So they always say it's due to financial reasons. Nobody wants to upset the staff with the reasons of why they are ACTUALLY leaving. So the school will never really know the truth as to why people are switching to different schools. My child was SO unhappy at this school we decided to leave after being there for years. We were hesitant at first but are THRILLED as our child is happy and thriving at the new school. In fact, the math teacher at our new school had to sit with our child for quite a while after school for many days. She said our child had lost a ton of self confidence at StMM. After meeting with our child several times, the new school counselor was shocked at our child's experience. If you have a child who needs some major discipline I would suggest this school. It turned our kid into an emotional mess riddled with anxiety. No thanks. We have a very happy child who loves school again! :)

Posted March 30, 2015
STMM is a fabulous school which promotes the whole child. Their fine arts program is incredibly talented and strives to excel in all areas, whether it be music, drama, or art. If you live in the Apex area do not miss this treasure, because you will not be disappointed!!

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School 2

Posted February 14, 2015
As of the 2014 STMM and the catholic dioceses of Raleigh has implemented the common core standards. As a parent of multiple students in the school I have seen it have a significant negative impact on the character and the effectiveness of the education. I have seen my children confused by the inconsistent content and fall behind in performance. I have held my tongue till now due in great part to the insistence by the teachers and staff that it was an improvement over the past methods and that once the wrinkles have been ironed out it will prove to be better. I am sorry but I will no longer stand by and let my children be guinea pigs in an unproven system when the previous worked so well. After applying at another private school and having our children placement tested, we have discovered that our children are so far behind that they might have to repeat their respective grades. The level of betrayal and anger at this is hard to express here in words. The teachers and staff however are all true believers despite evidence to the contrary.

Posted January 25, 2015
This school and the teachers and staff have been a wonderful addition to our family. They have accepted my son into a loving and caring community where he is thriving. I couldn't say the same for the public schools in Wake County. Mrs. McLaughlin, Pfeiffer, Piccola and Channelli are fantastic educators and kind people. StMM teaches their students academics at a faster pace than the public schools and offers individualized and appropriate resources for success while fostering good citizenship and faith-based lessons to support one another and the community as a whole.

Posted April 01, 2014
My children started attending STMM in 2002, two years after it opened. Since then, the school has consistently grown and improved because of the cooperation and care of the administration, staff, parents and students to all work toward a school environment that nurtures a child academically and spiritually. My two oldest children went on to successful high school experiences as well as college. My youngest has one year left at STMM and we will truly miss the community, the school Mass, the special Christmas, Advent and Lent activities as well as all the stewardship drives, sports teams and social events. I highly recommend this school not only because its strong academics and caring teachers make good students, but because all the rest makes them good people.

Posted March 26, 2014
Saint Mary Magdalene is a excellent school. My oldest started here at age 3 and is now a freshman at Cardinal Gibbons. All 11 years at STMM were productive and educational. She had caring teachers that supported and helped her. Middle school teachers would stay after school to give extra help when needed. She was a B student at STMM and is now is mostly A's in high school. The middle school teachers did a great job preparing her for high school. My second child is currently in 6th grade and I have found the experience to be similar. STMM is our school and church. It is like a second family to my children. Father Staib, the priest, is a wonderful and patient person. It is obvious to all he enjoys the children! I would recommend this school to anyone that wants a community feel in their child's school.

Posted March 20, 2014
St. Mary Magdalene has been a good experience for our family. My kids have gone through the middle school program and were very prepared for high school on many levels. They have the opportunity to be independent in middle school, walking to classes on their own, picking electives and a challenging work load so their transition to high school was smooth. I like that they offer a variety of activities in addition to sports like chess club, drama, science olympiad, dance, jazz band so that every child can find their niche. In addition the campus is beautiful.

Posted March 20, 2014
My child has been going to St. Mary Magdalene for four years and we love it there. If my son is having trouble with a certain subject the teachers will stay and help him personally one on one. These teachers love their students and work hard for for them. They not only want them to thrive academically, but to also be respectful of themselves and each other.

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School 2

Posted March 13, 2014
The middle school is terrible. The other grades are very good and should be considered if you are in the area. If you want a strong middle school. STMM is not it. The teachers are all checked out or watched too many movies with Nuns in it when they were kids. They are more about telling the kids what they did wrong then growing strong young adults. It is a male driven school and if you are hoping your daughter will get strong female leadership then you really are at the wrong school. The school needs a cleaning house. New administration and new middle school teachers. They are just not effective anymore. I have had 4 kids go through the school and decline has been sure and steady. The school is in desperate need of a breathe of fresh air.

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School
625 Magdala Place, Apex, NC  27502
Last modified St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top