St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School 2

Posted February 14, 2015
As of the 2014 STMM and the catholic dioceses of Raleigh has implemented the common core standards. As a parent of multiple students in the school I have seen it have a significant negative impact on the character and the effectiveness of the education. I have seen my children confused by the inconsistent content and fall behind in performance. I have held my tongue till now due in great part to the insistence by the teachers and staff that it was an improvement over the past methods and that once the wrinkles have been ironed out it will prove to be better. I am sorry but I will no longer stand by and let my children be guinea pigs in an unproven system when the previous worked so well. After applying at another private school and having our children placement tested, we have discovered that our children are so far behind that they might have to repeat their respective grades. The level of betrayal and anger at this is hard to express here in words. The teachers and staff however are all true believers despite evidence to the contrary.
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 25, 2015
This school and the teachers and staff have been a wonderful addition to our family. They have accepted my son into a loving and caring community where he is thriving. I couldn't say the same for the public schools in Wake County. Mrs. McLaughlin, Pfeiffer, Piccola and Channelli are fantastic educators and kind people. StMM teaches their students academics at a faster pace than the public schools and offers individualized and appropriate resources for success while fostering good citizenship and faith-based lessons to support one another and the community as a whole.
13 people found this helpful

Posted April 01, 2014
My children started attending STMM in 2002, two years after it opened. Since then, the school has consistently grown and improved because of the cooperation and care of the administration, staff, parents and students to all work toward a school environment that nurtures a child academically and spiritually. My two oldest children went on to successful high school experiences as well as college. My youngest has one year left at STMM and we will truly miss the community, the school Mass, the special Christmas, Advent and Lent activities as well as all the stewardship drives, sports teams and social events. I highly recommend this school not only because its strong academics and caring teachers make good students, but because all the rest makes them good people.
10 people found this helpful

Posted March 26, 2014
Saint Mary Magdalene is a excellent school. My oldest started here at age 3 and is now a freshman at Cardinal Gibbons. All 11 years at STMM were productive and educational. She had caring teachers that supported and helped her. Middle school teachers would stay after school to give extra help when needed. She was a B student at STMM and is now is mostly A's in high school. The middle school teachers did a great job preparing her for high school. My second child is currently in 6th grade and I have found the experience to be similar. STMM is our school and church. It is like a second family to my children. Father Staib, the priest, is a wonderful and patient person. It is obvious to all he enjoys the children! I would recommend this school to anyone that wants a community feel in their child's school.
9 people found this helpful

Posted March 20, 2014
St. Mary Magdalene has been a good experience for our family. My kids have gone through the middle school program and were very prepared for high school on many levels. They have the opportunity to be independent in middle school, walking to classes on their own, picking electives and a challenging work load so their transition to high school was smooth. I like that they offer a variety of activities in addition to sports like chess club, drama, science olympiad, dance, jazz band so that every child can find their niche. In addition the campus is beautiful.
9 people found this helpful

Posted March 20, 2014
My child has been going to St. Mary Magdalene for four years and we love it there. If my son is having trouble with a certain subject the teachers will stay and help him personally one on one. These teachers love their students and work hard for for them. They not only want them to thrive academically, but to also be respectful of themselves and each other.
7 people found this helpful

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School 2

Posted March 13, 2014
The middle school is terrible. The other grades are very good and should be considered if you are in the area. If you want a strong middle school. STMM is not it. The teachers are all checked out or watched too many movies with Nuns in it when they were kids. They are more about telling the kids what they did wrong then growing strong young adults. It is a male driven school and if you are hoping your daughter will get strong female leadership then you really are at the wrong school. The school needs a cleaning house. New administration and new middle school teachers. They are just not effective anymore. I have had 4 kids go through the school and decline has been sure and steady. The school is in desperate need of a breathe of fresh air.

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School 4

Posted December 25, 2013
I would agree with the last review. We have observed a continuing increase in both class size and tuition. The school also offers no multiples discount which makes it increasingly difficult for a family with three children. The teachers are wonderful and make the school. Parent involvement is excellent and much needed by the teachers due to the class size. We will continue to send our children here with the hope that they are gaining a strong academic foundation that justifies the cost.

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School 3

Posted December 19, 2013
I'll start by saying that I am disappointed to have to rate this school as average but am doing so after a great deal of thought about our experience as parents over the last few months. St. Mary Magdalene's popularity represents both a blessing and a curse. As both Cary and Apex have grown considerably in recent years, large numbers of Roman Catholics from around the country have moved to the Triangle area, joined their local parishes and sought what used to be called a 'parochial' school education for their children. So this school takes the position that meeting the demands of a burgeoning population with class sizes of 30 means both keeping the tuition at a reasonable level and satisfying the diocese that educational concerns of parishioners is being met. That sounds good and certainly represents one path that any Principal and diocesan administration can take. A problem, of course, arises when your child, as one of 30 under performs in a subject and may require additional teacher time. It will not happen unless you as a parent take an active interest in getting the teacher's attention. I would add that the daily schedule is far too crowded with specials.

Posted September 15, 2013
StMM is a fantastic school with dedicated staff that strive to challenge our children academically, while at the same time helping to develop their Catholic faith and promote Christian ethics & service to others. Our children have attended StMM since preschool, and we feel that it is a wonderful church & school community in which to raise our kids.
6 people found this helpful

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School
625 Magdala Place, Apex, NC  27502
Last modified St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Mary Magdalene Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top