Claxton Elementary 1

Posted August 31, 2014
Like many parents, I've pulled my kids out of Claxton due to the fact that the current principal has driven so many quality teachers away. Also, I doubt that Claxton keeps its high score considering that scores have plummeted since all the best teachers were driven away. I recommend that prospective parents dig up the most recent test scores at Claxton. I sent my children to ArtSpace, but many other parents who have left Claxton seem to speak highly of Vance Elementary if remaining at public schools (ArtSpace is a charter) is important to you.

Posted August 17, 2014
We are looking forward to school starting on Tuesday. My three children love Claxton, the teachers and the administration. My husband and I have been impressed with the education they have received as well as the enrichment opportunities that have been provided during the school day and after school from After School Arts to the Lego League and the amazing production they put on each year. We are so lucky to live in a city with awesome public schools.

Posted September 30, 2013
How lucky are my kids to be able to go to a public school with kids from all different backgrounds, get a terrific education, AND experience arts-integration. Claxton promotes learning through the arts -- music, visual arts, dance, drama -- and there's nothing better for elementary school-aged children. My son is performing above grade level, and he's never been left out of left behind from teachers focused on the kids who need intervention. He's happy, stimulated, and full of stories to tell every day. What more can a mother ask for?

Posted September 15, 2013
Claxton is a great school with a group a terrific teachers. I love the way the arts are integrated into the curriculum and the after school arts program is fantastic. This is our sixth year at Claxton and it has been a great environment for my child. You will love this school!

Posted September 15, 2013
Both of my children attend Claxton, and I absolutely love the great things they are getting exposed to during the day. They are great teachers, specialists, and parents! The teachers do a great job differentiating among students and helping with all the needs in the classroom. Love the A+ arts cultural events and after school arts program too!

Claxton Elementary 4

Posted July 03, 2013
I respectfully disagree with the previous review. I am very proud to work here and find the staff and administration are consummate professionals. It's a shame it doesn't work out with all teachers and I don't question their motives but posting such misleading and incorrect information seems petty.

Posted May 31, 2013
Our school is amazing! We love the Olweus anti-bullying program and how it has recognized students for "Lending a Hand, and Taking a Stand." This program has helped with our positive behavior system we use in order to help our students recognize bullying and how to handle those situations. Our administration takes community concerns very seriously and as a staff member, can talk with either of them openly about a situation. As far as Claxton goes, we've truly embraced our A+ magnet theme, which focuses are the Arts and Humanities. From artist residencies with ceramics to curriculum aligned partnership with the Moog Foundation, our students, K-5, can expect to have experiences that connect them to the arts. I encourage you to visit our school or contact us for more information to get a better picture of what we do. Go to www.ashevillecityschools.net/schools/clx for more!

Posted January 16, 2013
I am currently a teacher at Claxton and I could not imagine teaching anywhere else. The past two years this administration has gone above and beyond to listen to their teachers and trust us to teach as we know best . I love working for and with this administration because they honestly treat each and every child like they were their own and expect the teachers to do the same. As teachers we are held accountable for what we are teaching and how we are going to reach students who need enrichment or who need remediation. The days are gone when the principal sits in his or her office with the door closed and allows teachers their freedom. The children of Claxton are beyond lucky to have an administration that advocates for them and expects their teachers to give their best to them. I am certainly not saying there isn t room for improvement. There is not one of us living on this earth that isn t a work in progress. There are also times when I want that day to be my last, but I return each morning because I love my students and I am blessed to work with an administration that loves these children and expects the best for them. I also love working with teachers who feel the same.

Posted August 30, 2012
Claxton is a wonderful learning environment! Teachers, administration, and staff are all very caring about the students. The principal greets the children at morning carpool. Parent involvement is greatly encouraged. I've enjoyed spending lunch with my children's classes in the cafeteria and volunteering in their classrooms. Whenever I have a question, I get answered quickly, respectfully, and with the needs of my children at the center. We could not be happier with this school and look forward to the next 6 years there!

Posted February 03, 2012
We can't say enough good things about Claxton. The teachers, Principal, and Vice Principal are incredible. They are involved, caring, and communicative. Our kids are happy and growing there. I love the diversity of the school, and the creativity that it encourages. We are extremely thankful for such an amazing little school right in the heart of Asheville.

Claxton Elementary
241 Merrimon Avenue, Asheville, NC  28801
Last modified Claxton Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Claxton Elementary Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top