Bad
Good

We have been to a couple of schools in NC because of moves for my husband's job. The thing I love most about Claxton is the wonderful teachers that my daughters have had the past two years. Each teacher has gone out of their way to support my girls in and out of the school day. This school allows kids to be kids, but encourages the student's to make a positive difference in their community. I love the new playground project that is to be completed by summer 2017. Parents are very involved at Claxton and the new principle is making noticeable and positive changes.

Count me as another who pulled her kids out. Breaks my heart too as my first child who went through had a lovely time. It all went downhill when the current principal arrived. She was actually the assistant principal when she arrived, so perhaps her predecessor is to blame, but the moment the school lost a great art teacher and third grade teacher a couple years ago, I began to worry. Over the past three or four years, pretty much all the great, veteran teaching staff of years and years has left, leaving a bunch of youngsters who can't control behavior. After my fourth grader come home crying after a comment so unbelievably disgusting it can't be published here, the principal did nothing. Sadly, Claxton is a school living on reputation.

Like many parents, I've pulled my kids out of Claxton due to the fact that the current principal has driven so many quality teachers away. Also, I doubt that Claxton keeps its high score considering that scores have plummeted since all the best teachers were driven away. I recommend that prospective parents dig up the most recent test scores at Claxton. I sent my children to ArtSpace, but many other parents who have left Claxton seem to speak highly of Vance Elementary if remaining at public schools (ArtSpace is a charter) is important to you.

We are looking forward to school starting on Tuesday. My three children love Claxton, the teachers and the administration. My husband and I have been impressed with the education they have received as well as the enrichment opportunities that have been provided during the school day and after school from After School Arts to the Lego League and the amazing production they put on each year. We are so lucky to live in a city with awesome public schools.

How lucky are my kids to be able to go to a public school with kids from all different backgrounds, get a terrific education, AND experience arts-integration. Claxton promotes learning through the arts -- music, visual arts, dance, drama -- and there's nothing better for elementary school-aged children. My son is performing above grade level, and he's never been left out of left behind from teachers focused on the kids who need intervention. He's happy, stimulated, and full of stories to tell every day. What more can a mother ask for?

Claxton is a great school with a group a terrific teachers. I love the way the arts are integrated into the curriculum and the after school arts program is fantastic. This is our sixth year at Claxton and it has been a great environment for my child. You will love this school!

Both of my children attend Claxton, and I absolutely love the great things they are getting exposed to during the day. They are great teachers, specialists, and parents! The teachers do a great job differentiating among students and helping with all the needs in the classroom. Love the A+ arts cultural events and after school arts program too!

I respectfully disagree with the previous review. I am very proud to work here and find the staff and administration are consummate professionals. It's a shame it doesn't work out with all teachers and I don't question their motives but posting such misleading and incorrect information seems petty.

Our school is amazing! We love the Olweus anti-bullying program and how it has recognized students for "Lending a Hand, and Taking a Stand." This program has helped with our positive behavior system we use in order to help our students recognize bullying and how to handle those situations. Our administration takes community concerns very seriously and as a staff member, can talk with either of them openly about a situation. As far as Claxton goes, we've truly embraced our A+ magnet theme, which focuses are the Arts and Humanities. From artist residencies with ceramics to curriculum aligned partnership with the Moog Foundation, our students, K-5, can expect to have experiences that connect them to the arts. I encourage you to visit our school or contact us for more information to get a better picture of what we do. Go to www.ashevillecityschools.net/schools/clx for more!

I am currently a teacher at Claxton and I could not imagine teaching anywhere else. The past two years this administration has gone above and beyond to listen to their teachers and trust us to teach as we know best . I love working for and with this administration because they honestly treat each and every child like they were their own and expect the teachers to do the same. As teachers we are held accountable for what we are teaching and how we are going to reach students who need enrichment or who need remediation. The days are gone when the principal sits in his or her office with the door closed and allows teachers their freedom. The children of Claxton are beyond lucky to have an administration that advocates for them and expects their teachers to give their best to them. I am certainly not saying there isn t room for improvement. There is not one of us living on this earth that isn t a work in progress. There are also times when I want that day to be my last, but I return each morning because I love my students and I am blessed to work with an administration that loves these children and expects the best for them. I also love working with teachers who feel the same.

Last modified Claxton Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.