Posted June 28, 2013
Awful. Like the other reviewer, kindergarten is the only good grade. After taking concerns to the director I was greeted with hostility and defensiveness, and somehow the problem became my fault. It's like an alternative school for special needs kids. Jackson County schools are so much better and my kid is thriving.

Posted May 14, 2013
This school has serious problems!!! The Middle School faculty are dysfunctional and incompetent. My child was treated poorly and the Director blamed him for mot being able to learn. Everything is all hunky dory until you have a problem. Then they gang up on you. We are so sorry we wasted a year of our life listening to the hype.

Mountain Discovery Charter School 4

Posted April 28, 2013
MDCS is a wonderful school. I could go on forever. Visit mountaindiscovery.org to learn everything you need to know anout this great school.

Posted January 19, 2012
MDCS is and extraordinary school that provides an outstanding educational experience! We are confident that our children are being prepared, academically and socially, to succeed in high school and beyond. The experienced and highly qualified staff cater to the individual needs of each student. Experiential learning abounds at this school! The director is fair and impartial, diplomatic and easy to approach. All decisions made are done so with the well being of every student in mind. In the 8 years we have been at this school, we have never felt that our safety was in jeopardy. If school has remained open during winter weather conditions, it has always been communicated to families that students should be kept home if driving conditions are unsafe. Families have always been told that absences in such a case are excused. We truly believe that MDCS has gotten better each year that it's been in operation and look forward to the future!

Posted January 19, 2012
I am a very proud MDCS parent and have two sons who have attended here for 4 1/2 years. I appreciate the diversity and the unique experiential learning that is displayed in each class. The teachers and staff here are excellent and committed to their students. We feel honored to have the choice to send our children here and we know that when they leave they will have a quality education behind them.

Posted January 18, 2012
Kindergarten is great! After that it goes down hill fast. The teachers are condescending, Especially the 4th grade. She has no problem cutting off your conversation when you are not saying what she wants to hear. Our son has been going here for 4 1/2 years and we will be taking him out in the middle of the school year because it has gotten so bad. She shows favoritism to her daughter who is in her class this year. There is very little experiential learning, that we were looking forward to and is the reason we started our son's education here. The principal has no clue as to safe conditions during the winter. When other schools in the area are closed due to weather he will have the school remain open at risk of student safety. We are very disappointed with how the school is turning out. Each year we had hoped things would get better, but it seems to be going the other way and we will not subject our son to inferior education and teachers.

Posted October 06, 2011
My children really love this school and are enjoying learning. Small school environment gives chance for individualized attention. We are very satisfied with our choice of school.

Posted January 03, 2011
MDCS is a school with a lot of great energy. The kids feel comfortable being individuals, not feeling a need to fit any mold and I attribute this to the dedication of the parents and teachers to foster confidence and individualism. The teachers have passion and truly care about the education and well being of each child. About the administration I would say the same. Despite having to deal with adversity they have not lost site of what matters most - our children learning to thrive in this world. Thank you to the entire faculty and community of MDCS. I am SO THANKFUL that this is where my daughter is getting her education!

Posted December 31, 2010
My kid adores this school and all the staff! When she was having trouble with math, her teacher privately tutored her after school, catching her skills up to the rest of the class. The school staff seems like a family, and function well under the current principal. He is a down-to-earth, approachable guy who has responded to all my questions, comments, and concerns in a great way. Love it!!

Posted December 31, 2010
I have 2 children at MDCS and am an involved parent. This school is wonderful. Staff do a great job of focusing on the students and individualizing instruction. Fun, expeditionary style of teaching and learning. We love "Expedition Nights" when kids show off their projects. It is almost like a private school without the fee!

Mountain Discovery Charter School
890 North Jenkins Branch Road, Bryson City, NC  28713
Last modified Mountain Discovery Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mountain Discovery Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.