Blessed Sacrament School

Private | PK-8 | 150 students

We are known for our strong academics, safe environment, and values.

Living in Burlington

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $725.

Sweep tile

Posted January 30, 2014

Wonderful school with a safe environment! I currently have two children at BSS and I could not be happier. They have a small teacher to student ratio, so my kids receive individualized instruction almost daily. The teachers go out of their way to make learning exciting. My children are happy, safe and the academics are challenging. They have a full elementary and middle school science lab and use a rigorous science curriculum called Lab Learner that has my little ones in lab coats doing full science experiments at a young age. All middle school students receive a 9th grade level Algebra 1 course in 8th grade and are also doing HS level science labs weekly. Their new school wide STREAM initiative (STEM with Religion and Arts) is truly exciting. My little ones are also able to participate in sports, such as track, pep squad and basketball and soccer. Parents have weekly communication with the school in their Knights Chronicle and the administration has an open door policy. I have absolutely no reservations in sending my children to BSS! Values that I teach my children at home, such as respect, manners and kindness towards others, are reinforced everyday at BSS. GO KNIGHTS!

Posted January 28, 2014

Awful Middle School program! My son was NOT prepared for high school! We decided to switch our younger child so he would be better prepared when he got to high school, so glad we did!! Stay far away! Wish I could rate it 0 stars!

Posted January 24, 2014

I wish that the art class would do more art work! The pictures that we receive are all paper and crayons. We would love to see some clay, paint, construction paper, stickers.....Anything that could help our child experiment with different art supplies. The preschool students do not do preschool artwork. It would be nice for them to emphasize more arts and crafts rather than coloring. The Kindergarten students do more artwork in their classrooms than seen in the art room.

Posted December 4, 2013

This school is an exciting place to be right now. I have two children currently attending who have flourished in the small classroom environments. My older child is having amazing scores on the IOWA test each year which confirms the school has successfully met the educational needs. In addition, the school is currently implementing a new curriculum called STREAM. This curriculum is challenging the old way of teaching and really encouraging teachers and students to change the way they think and teach. Kids are having more hands on opportunities. I believe this curriculum is going to assist my child in the future as it is teaching the students to think like an engineers, to problem solve and to find new information. I have found that the teachers and staff and BSS really care about the students as an individual and try to challenge them to do their best not just academically but also as a caring, respectful and responsible citizen.

Posted October 2, 2012

As the mother of two students who attended BSS (pre through 8th), I couldn t be more delighted with this school. Despite its wide socio-economic makeup, BSS students consistently rank in the top 90% on national standardized tests. Students at BSS are frequently given opportunities to excel, to take on leadership roles. Not only do they learn to lead, they also learn to serve. Parents are welcomed and encouraged to be an active part of the school community. A child s needs are not just met, but they are loved and cared for by a nurturing staff and faculty. Children are given the opportunity to bloom! On multiple occasions I have observed a teacher take note of a child s individual talents and seek out opportunities to help them shine. Kids love BSS too. They skip into the building with smiles on their faces. My kids described their teachers with words like nice , good natured , devoted , optimistic and professional . I am delighted with the new leadership. The new principal has brought renewed energy and enthusiasm to the school. Although I do not believe that one school can be the perfect fit for all families, I know that BSS was the perfect school for my family.

Posted June 24, 2012

My wife and I sent one child to this school, and pulled him out after preschool. We were dismayed at the extensive "jet-setting" that goes on at this school... Certain families--and their children--were given preferential treatment over others, depending on the social/economic status of those families and on the degree of involvement those families had with the church to which this school is affiliated. I hold a PhD in English Composition and American Literature. I found the quality of teaching in this school to be average at best. The school culture appeared to lean towards regimentation and away from independent, creative thought. Trust me - this is a poor preparation for the increasingly competitive world our children will enter. I strongly advise any families that are: a) lower-middle class or lower in socio-economic status; or b) not Catholic in religious orientation to steer clear of this school. Otherwise, they risk setting themselves and their children up for a potentially frustrating and demeaning experience.

Posted May 7, 2012

I sent 2 kids through Blessed Sacrament School and believe the value of the school is immeasurable . Teachers who care, small classes. Peer to peer respect that no other school can rival. I certainly would make this choice again. I highly recommend this school !!

Posted May 6, 2012

We have been a part of the BSS family for 16 years and both of our children received excellent educations. Our oldest son excelled in high school and is currently studying at a top university. Our youngest son starts high school in the fall and is very well prepared. As parents, sending our children to BSS is one of the best decisions we have made.

Posted April 24, 2012

I went here up until middle school then i switched to Saint Pius X in Greensboro and within a quarter my math grade went from a C to an A. BSS is not a good school . Im a junior at Bishop and if i never switched schools i would be behind. BSS holds your hand they dont teach you anything.

Posted April 20, 2012

Our children have been at this school for over 6 years. This has been a loving supportive environment for them. They have blossomed into confident students who love to learn. This school is a community and is much more than just one person. I am super excited and confident of the new leadership for next year. I have never had a problem getting the information I needed for my children to be successful. I love that the teachers all know my children and can cater the instruction to their needs. Looking forward to what the future holds!!

Posted March 15, 2012

We had such high hopes when our son started kindergarten at BSS. He has received an adequate (although far from superior) education, but the administration needs an overhaul. The current principal is leaving (thank goodness) but we don't have enough faith in the appointed principal for next year (who is the current assistant principal) to send our son back. Add to that the consistent lack of communication, and it leads to a very frustrating experience. The biggest reason, though, is because the building is old, and has a persistent mold issue, which exacerbates our son's asthma. The school did a little of what was recommended to address the problem, but it's not enough for us.

Posted August 31, 2011

The sense of family and respect is immediately recognized as you walk through the halls of Blessed Sacrament School. We are so happy with the supportive environment that has made getting up for school an easy task for the last 2 years. The teachers spend time getting to know the kids and parents, and it really shows that the kids love being there. The curriculum is carefully planned, and our preschooler has wonderful exposure to computers, Spanish, PE, science, and music EVERY WEEK. The teachers, principal, and office staff are friendly and make every effort to make us feel at home. Every morning, when I see the students bouncing happily into the school (and usually holding the door for me as I come in!), I know that we made the right choice for our child.

Posted January 3, 2011

We couldn't be happier in our decision to place our son in this school. He is loved and cared for and loves going there. We couldn't ask for anything more!

Posted October 13, 2010

Blessed Sacrament is the BEST school for your children! I am a retired teacher as well as a parent of two children who graduated from this amazing school! The students are given personal attention ands are loved and taught by top quality teachers and staff who really care about your child both personally and educationally!

Posted October 4, 2009

They provided a well-balanced & caring educational place for my kids.

Posted April 22, 2008

The principal and staff make this school. This school teaches the whole child. My son loves the size and the respect that he gets in this environment. The teachers really care and are very accessible when there are any questions about homework or progress. A very special place. With a very diverse student body, my child is learning lessons for life and his spiritual walk. While we are not Catholic, the teaching of religion has made my son more appreciative of all life and God's miracles. Great new science lab!

Posted May 24, 2007

This school is superb in providing a safe, loving, and supportive environment for the students. The faith based component of the school is what has been the most important aspect for our family. Our child has been challenged quite a bit in kindergarten. She has been learning math, reading, science... Our family has been very pleased with her overall development at the school. The teachers are more than capable and qualified to teach the children.

Posted March 21, 2006

Great school for having that sense of family and offering a child a feeling of security. The principal knows each child by name and all of the children seem to like her very well. It seems that the same parents are involved with the school and church every year. Surprisingly, there is not a high percentage of children who are being raised Catholic here. The school has a very big downfall of providing a quality education. Their academic level of teaching is quite poor. Only a handful of teachers are worthy of teaching these children. The rest don't belong teaching in an expensive private school. I am very unhappy with the education they are receiving here. Many parents have taken their children out of the school due to the lack of academic challenges that should have been offered to the students. I would recommend the K-3,K-4,K-5 and 1st grades only.

Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 2%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Maria Gomez
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Hybrid
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Raleigh

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor