Johnsonville Elementary

Public | K-5 | 658 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 8, 2013

i am going to this school this year as a parent volunteer, i know this is a good school ,my son has been in this school 4 years

Posted August 22, 2013

My sons and I moved to NC a little over a year ago and the boys were ok. I'm not overly impressed but not disappointed much, except for some bullying incidents and the fact that my son with ADHD wasn't really given the 504 plan he needed in place to help him succeed, especially in dealing with his learning issues. The Principal is truly caring, and my youngest's son Special Ed teacher was just wonderful.

Posted May 28, 2013

The school is not the best. The princeable spends time fixing only minnor probles and tell us to be good and barely takes action.

Posted April 16, 2013

My child never ever has homework, and the communication is not good. Keeping up with assignments is difficult when there is not a system in place. I would recommend passing on this school if you can.

Posted March 25, 2013

The bullying starts on the school bus, then it goes into the school. The bullying gets worse and worse because no one does anything about it! Our grandson was attacked by a bully with a pair of scissors from the same kid that dragged him across the playground, on his stomach, by his feet. Where was the supervision? Recourse: a note was sent home to the kids parents, or was it? The teacher doesn't report half of the occurrances. The teacher said that sending a note home is all she can do and her hands are tied. To which I say, WHAT? Why wasn t this bully removed from the school immediately? The very next day, our grandson was held down and got a hair cut from this bully. Thank God it wasn't worse. Thank God we are getting out of this school. I would highly recommend that all parents keep a close watch if your kids are enrolled in this school, because nothing is being done to protect the students at Johnsonville. This school is now under investigation by the NC School District. Training is only part of the solution - the teachers, principals and staff need to care. You can't teach that. Run as fast as you can to another school!

Posted March 10, 2013

We have been very happy with Johnsonville Elementary School. I was quite nervous when I read the ratings from previous years, but we have had a great experience. My son is excelling in reading and his teachers are kind and caring. He wakes up excited to go and comes home happy... I don't know what more we could ask for.

Posted October 16, 2012

Extremely dissatisfied in the Jonsonville elementary principles actions in taken care of urgent issues with bulling kindergartine kids on the school buses. One time offensece and the ones doing the bulling should be kicked off the bus for the rest of the year, anyone else involved will get a suspension from the bus also. Stop the bulling!!!!

Posted April 17, 2012

Because the my teacher is I am improving in math.Also I did not understand division now it is awesome and I am great at it.

Posted June 4, 2011

OMG! I totally agree with the post! The principal never return your calls. They do not give a damm.I am very upset about this school. I will try to move my kids to another school. The only problem is the transportation because if you take the kids to another school ,you have to drive them. I am very disappointed, terrible academics. My children are struggling because I made the bad decision to leave them there.

Posted January 13, 2011

Being a military family my children have attended schools in 3 different states and overseas. This is by far the WORST one. It starts with the principal and ends with inexperienced teachers. The academics at this school are so far below standards you have the option of sending your children to another school in the county. I didn't do this at first because we live just 1 minute from the school. Bad choice. Both of my children are now struggling. After many bullying incidents that were not dealt with by the teachers, I have had many meetings with the principal and vice principal. They are little help and at times down right rude. And don't expect your calls to be returned either. Do your kids a favor and send them to another school!

Posted February 12, 2009

This school has had some academic challenges, but I have felt that teachers and staff at this school are working hard to improve the environment, and are very supportive or seeing their students succeed. We just moved to virginia and I am very disappointed in our new school system. THe children all miss Johnsonville.

Posted December 19, 2008

I like the structured setting at Johnsonville. This year is my daughter's second year, and I have seen a tremendous improvement academic-wise. I am pleased with the positive changes in staff. She looks forward to going to school each day to learn new things and to interact with her teacher, and that is a parent's dream come true :)

Posted October 28, 2008

I am truely disappointed in this school. The teachers seem to be only interested in what you can do for the school instead of teaching the children. My son came from an advanced pre school and the Kindergarten curriculum was very boring to him. Instead of challenging him, he was left to the current curriculum. He has since been put into a private school in Fayetteville and has truely excelled and is currently working on first grade curriculum. I would highly recommend finding a different school for your children.

Posted August 28, 2008

My daughter is going into her second year here at Johnsonville and I absolutely love it. I have had some minor issues but when they are brought to the staff's attention they are quickly resolved. I really believe they 'quest for the best no matter what it takes'. I am an active volunteer at the school and I see what goes on inside the school. I couldn't be more pleased, I thought with everyone telling me that this wasn't the best school in the area that I would be disappointed, but I am just the opposite. You can walk into the school at anytime and see what your child is working on. Lunches are always available for a sit down with your child. I would suggest this school to anyone moving to the area.

Posted April 29, 2008

We have been extremely happy with Johnsonville, the teachers are great, speech included, and both my kids have truly excelled there. We were at Highland last year and were extrememly unhappy. I believe the motto at Johnsonville 'Quest for the Best' So far my kids in Mrs. J's and Mrs. Branson's classrooms, love it and look forward to class! The front desk is super plesent Mrs. Reba! Keep up the good work Johnsonville!

Posted April 25, 2008

I am very disappointed in this school. There are no real consequences for the misbehaving students.The students who are attentive and behave receive no rewards or positive encouragement. The students who need help or special attention are overlooked and ignored. Teasing and bullying are accepted and when there are complaints about the disruptions/teasing in the classroom the teachers and principal acknowlege that there are issues, but seem unconcerned in dealing with them. Although the staff and principal are friendly, the classroom environment and the social structure are in total disorder. I would not recommend this school.

Posted March 18, 2008

My children ages 9 and 7 now attend Johnsonville and they love it. Last year they were at Highland Elem ( another local school). Big Diffrence!!!!! Highland was a school with 1175 students and 36 students to a classroom, johnsonville has only 390, with only 16 to a classroom. The teachers are wonderful, and make you feel like you are family. At Highland I asked to speak to the principal and they made me an appt two weeks later. At johnsonville the principal invited me right in and we talked, and I was shocked!!! If you have to choose between highland and johnsonville choose harnett counties best kept secret Johnsonville!!!!

Posted February 25, 2008

I yet to have a good experience at Johnsonville. I have had two of my children start at Johnsonville and each time i have been disappointed. I don't think Johnsonville works as a team. The teacher my child got this year. I feel still dosen't have her stuff together. I have only received the letter of the week maybe 7 or 8 times the whole entire year so far. She has only sent site words home twice this year. I have been working with my child on the site words at home thank god. I had to go to a teachers conference one time. The teacher was sick they left a note on the door. I felt sorry for those parents who had taken off work or their lunch break. The office or teacher should have taken the time to call those few parents to let them know.

Posted April 10, 2006

I have been extremely satisfied with Johnsonville. My daughter has gone there from k-5(this is her last year). The teachers have been very good about keeping us informed about her progress and letting us know when she is falling behind and needs help. The school is an older school but they have made numerous improvments over the years including a new state of the art media center with a computer lab. Another thing I like is the YMCA program they offer for before and after school. They also offer allday care during the summer and on teacher workdays. This is great for those of us that are in the military, which is alot in this area. Johnsonville has been a great school for our daughter and I hope we are as lucky when we move this summer and she starts middle school in another state.

Posted January 1, 2006

As a student in a small school system (450 K-12) I was overwelmed when my kids dtarted attending schools of over 500 in just the elementary! Johnsonville is a little bigger than I am used to but it doesn't feel like it. The teachers and staff all treat each child as if they are the only one there. My little boy left a very important homework assignement at school one day. when I drove him back to the school at 6:30pm the janitorial staff was very helpful and let him get his papers. That kind of special treatment is what I've come to expect from Johnsonville. David Lawrence, parent of 4 Johnsonville students.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 44% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

All Students40%

Non-disabled students39%
Proficient in English34%
Non-migrant34%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students29%

• Mrs Christy Thomas
Fax number
  • (919) 499-1402

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now