West Cary Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 937 students

Our school is best known for our Positive Behavior Support and sportmanship.

Sweep tile

Posted February 26, 2014

We've had an inconsistent experience at WCMS thus far. One of our son's teachers is very dynamic, involved, creative, and keeps parents engaged. Another of his teachers is disorganized, doesn't update parents on anything, and has been inconsistent in her teaching and testing methods. The fact that the teachers at the school are allowed to "design" their own re-test policy is mind-boggling to me - there is zero consistency in how students re-test and what grade they can earn. Our son has one teacher who lets them earn half-credit by reworking the problems they miss, while they have another that gave them the correct answers, told them to go home and re-do the test, and then gave them full credit. My only interaction with the principal thus far has been frustrating - when I asked her about the re-test policy, she said "it's up to the teachers, you'll have to follow up with each of them."

Posted February 3, 2014

West cary middle The principle is as unapproachable as possible The teachers are a hit or miss. The office staff, behaves like you are the last person they want to see The new assistant principle, is as rude as it can come That should tell you what the principle is like, you attract your own kind. The good students will not be helped. Don't waste your kids time if they are good in studies. The most decent and good person was the councillor, who moved. Sad that they let her go. The new one is a joke. Be prepared that your kid will not have time to eat, because they have new rules every day. Dont complain, the parent and school relation admin will chew you out. Seriously do not waste your kids future here.

Posted November 4, 2013

I was a little overwhelmed with middle school when we first arrived at West Cary. All of my son's fears are completely gone and we really appreciate all of communication we receive from the Principal and the staff. I get emails weekly and the teachers use their blackboard to better communicate with parents after school hours. We absolute love it.

Posted September 11, 2013

Last night I attended Open House at West Cary and it was one of the most organized Open Houses Ive been to ever - minus the presentations by the Parent Organizations. My son started 6th grade this year and all of his teachers send emails to us biweekly letting us know exactly what is going on in their class and all of them have a blackboard site that shows their weekly assignments and print any worksheets they had in class straight from their individual website. Each teacher did a presentation that was very helpful and informative to the parents. The 6th grade Vice Principal came into the different classes we rotated too and answered any questions we had. I have really been impressed with how involved and on point the teachers are here!

Posted August 16, 2013

Filled with behavioral issues. My only regret is I didn't move my child after week 2. A friend called me crying that her child had to go to this school and I motivated her to stay. Therefore I felt obligated to stay. Teachers deal with to many behavioral issues in the class. Fights are frequent. We are not returning and I know several families leaving. Some transferred, went to magnets, charter, and private. I should have paid attention to the reviews.

Posted August 4, 2013

My older has graduated from west cary and my younger one is starting 6th grade. I am extrememly satisfied with the Teachers, Principal.

Posted August 1, 2013

I have an 8th grader who just left the school and a 7th grader who will be there this year. During graduation last year I talked to many of the 8th grade teachers and most of them are leaving. One of the teachers told me that about a third of the staff is leaving. The problem they say is with the principal who has little talent in her job. As a parent volunteer I witnessed this many times first hand. If you are planning to move to Cary, Davis Drive or Mills Park will be a much better alternative. I am still trying to transfer my son.

Posted July 19, 2013

Regarding last sentence of July 2, 2013, review: "I am SURE (my caps added for emphasis) data proves west cary students struggle in high school." What data is she referring to? May I suggest parents check with Cary high, Green Hope High, and Panther Creek High before accepting this statement. Also, check out the universities that West Cary graduates at Green Hope High Class of 2013 will be attending in August, including UNC-CH and NC State Engineering. Let's look at hard data before we sling around around suppositions.

Posted July 18, 2013

My family and I have had a great experience with WCMS the last 4 years we've been there. I have a daughter (rising Sophomore) and a son (rising 7th grader) that flourished at this great school. The teachers work very hard to stay in constant contact with us as parents and the Administration has on open door policy and has always been willing to drop whatever they are doing to speak with parents to answer any questions or listen to concerns. My daughter expressed that some of the things she learned in her LA and SS classes such as various study skills and note taking techniques have helped her in her classes in high school. My son, who was quite apprehensive about middle school and has never really liked school at all is now eager to go to school and has met lots of great friends at WC. WCMS staff, YOU ROCK!

Posted July 2, 2013

School is loose with handling behavioral issues. To much time spent disciplining in the class. The buses also have behavioral issues. Math Counts lacked parent and teacher volunteers. Career day has ton of volunteers. Tutoring is offered once a week for each course, however I would recommend at least 3 times a week. We tried to get transferred but was declined. Therefore we are attending private the next two years. the AG Program is not high in quality. Students are given 2 tries on a test, and you get an automatic 100 for turning in homework. This is a setup for failure because West Cary and Davis Drive only allow retakes if you make below a 70. You cant achieve higher than a 70 on the retake, this pushes Mills Park and Davis Drive students to study hard and Ace tests the first time. Problem is West Cary Students competes with Mills Park and Davis Drive children in high school. I am sure data proves West Cary students struggle in high school.

Posted June 19, 2013

My daughter just graduated from West Cary Middle School and she loved it and so did her family. We love the hands on approach that the entire faculty has for every child within the school. I conversated often with the principal and she is a true leader who believes that each child deserves the best education. If I had more children entering middle school, I would drive them to West Cary where learning is evident in all classes.

Posted June 19, 2013

My son attended school here and I have been above satisfied. I moved to the area so my son could attend this school out of another district that I felt was unsafe. The Principal welcomed my son and communicated everything to us. The staff was very pleasant and nurturing. My son is learning disabled and the teachers were wonderful. He blossomed and is more open to learning having attended West Cary. I was sad when he had to leave to attend high school, but he was well prepared from the nurturing he received from West Cary,

Posted June 19, 2013

I just visited West Cary today and I was welcomed by the summer staff. Everyone that I met was very polite. I did not meet any teachers today but I was informed about the teacher blackboard pages and how every teacher has one so all parents will have access to daily assignments and expectations. A big change from my other middle school in Wake County. I think I am going to love West Cary this school year.

Posted June 12, 2013

HORRIBLE SCHOOL! Coming from the best middle school in another state made us very biased. We relied on the GreatSchools website to pick out a neighborhood so we could enroll our child in this school. Big mistake. Very behind the times, very little technology, rude registrar, no communications from teachers (I have to send quite a few follow-up emails to get a response). Registrar was so rude, the family in front of me walked out! They were asking how to deposit money onto their child's lunch account. The registrar had no idea and just kept repeating that they will have to find out themselves and to research on-line. Unbelievable. Never get update calls from the principal, which was really nice where we lived and we actually knew what was happening at the school besides hearing it from our children. IMO, it showed the principal cared about the children and parents alike. Security is bad. I dropped my child off after an appointment, walked in the door, past the office and nobody ever stopped me. Nice. Had I been able to tour the school before moving, I never, ever would have moved to our current neighborhood.

Posted February 7, 2013

i went to school here about 4 years ago. i am now in 11th grade and when i look back it was the most fun i had in my life. If you don't like the teachers or the principle isn't emailing you back, get used to it. That's what high school is.

Posted January 25, 2013

I am new to this school in 7th grade, and they are very nice. The staff are the nicest, and also, that was the past, but this is 2013, and we have a big variety of classes. Now one thing, a lot of people brag about their smartness, even though they are not smart. Well duh! That is why they give tests. Also, one of the bus drivers required a sixth grader to have paperwork to get on the bus, because she changed buses. But that won't happen again. Don't think that everyone are bad in West Cary, because 85 percent are really good. Just the bad apples cause the most complaints. Our school has contests, fun activities, and a lot of hope for our students. Not one hall has no sign that doesn't have a hope sign on it. I can guarantee, that if you send your child here, they will have the best time, with out nice staff, and our friendly children, your child will succeed, have fun, and most of all, make friends! People instantly come up to you and say, " Hey! You want to go to the library?" They are very nice, and you will be happy that you sent your child ot this great, heart-warming, wonderful school. Everyday, someone is smiling, and nobody is racist. Great people, succeed!

Posted October 26, 2012

This is my daughter 2nd year in West Cary and she loves it. The staff are great the principal and principal assistant are doing an excellent job. It's really a good school I am satisfy that my daughter goes there.

Posted September 17, 2012

The students here In my grade are snobby kids who all live in Preston and if you don't they don't even look at you I am a new student in 7th grade and I was never there in elementary school so nobody talks to me. I was trying to make a converstn with one girl and she blank told me "I don't want to talk to you" i mean the academic system is fine and such but the students are mean and there not that many after school activity other than sports

Posted August 27, 2012

One of the smallest Middle Schools on this side of Cary. However, it has the reputation of having a very poor administrative staff even with its small size. Previous reviews mentioned the strings program. The school does not have a strong reputation in the arts.

Posted August 20, 2012

I can't wait to get out of this school. I am now in eighth grade and i strongly dislike this school, they should pay more attention to our opinions and some of us aren't treated fairly and the principal is a NIGHTMARE. They should also do some renovations, the lockers are so disgusting (gum, food, etc.), another thing I found annoying was that two staff said "Im getting paid to do this", like they don't even care for our learning just the money, also not much opportunites for electives and clubs. Can't wait to leave!!

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

327 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

328 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

305 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

305 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

270 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students55%

Proficient in English64%
Non-migrant63%
Academically gifted93%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students58%

Limited English proficiency65%
Proficient in English88%
Non-migrant87%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

n/a
English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Korean
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • School of Distinction (2012)
  • School of Distinction (2011)
  • School of Distinction (2010)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Green Ribbon State Recognition for PBIS (2012)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Special olympics

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Robotics club
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Music room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Yoga club

• 7:30 am
School end time
  • 2:15 pm
  • Wanza Cole
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (919) 460-3540

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Drama club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
957
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
957
Students typically come from these schools
Weatherstone Elementary
Cedar Fork Elementary
Morrisville Elementary

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Cary High School