Cary, NC

Posted December 17, 2014
This school has been the worst school by far for leadership and communication. We have not been happy with the rude responses we've received from the principal. The teachers are great but it seems that they are just as frustrated as we have been.
24 people found this helpful

Posted December 13, 2014
Parents, stay away from this school if you can. Luckily, the principal is retiring. I think this is by far the best news for your child's future. She is very childish and unprofessional. My child's teacher is mediocre at best. Given a recent progress report and comments that she made about him, I scheduled a meeting to discuss it with her further. I was hoping for a proactive solution and to gain an understanding of what was wrong. Instead, she had no clue. Clearly, she was not paying attention. The lasting memory of her was "I says I teach to the standards" ... which is not even proper English to begin with. This is the last words a concerned parent wants to hear from his teacher. ... Good luck for everyone having to stay at this school. Leadership and quality begins at the head. On a positive note, I don't think the next principal to be could be much worst. There are certainly not big shoes to fill.
4 people found this helpful

Posted November 19, 2014
New to this area and being a parent of our first kindergarten child. I love this school The growth I have seen since she has started is wonderful. She's sounding out letters and trying to read. She's talks about students in her class as her friends and I can tell she loves the environment The green folder idea works well. I get to see everything she brings home and all her writing and artwork. We really enjoy all the people we have come into contact with from before school care to the office staff

Posted August 03, 2014
Diversity, a satisfying mix of ideas, cultures, races, genders, economic statuses and other characteristics necessary for promoting growth and learning among a group. Having variety in religious, racial, cultural, and geographic backgrounds as well as experiences, beliefs, and world view is great. When I read the race page on this site it lead me to think the school was a lot of White people. But I found out that people from India are WHITE. They make up 1/2 the schools population. A great mix of diversity.
2 people found this helpful

Alston Ridge Elementary School 3

Posted May 07, 2014
enrollment is 1000 + and capped-crowded! There are 10 kindergarten classes now. Teacher retention is not great.
5 people found this helpful

Posted May 07, 2014
I have the opportunity to witness first hand what is important to school environments that are successful. I am blessed to have found Alston Ridge Elementary. The administration is the most caring to teachers and students. Even with the number of students we have, the administration knows most the students by name. Students' achievements are announced and celebrations are held quite often to involve parents. Expectations for Teachers are high, but that is what any employer should expect if they want a well run, successful business. Schools' business is educating children for the future. This dedicated staff works hard to make our children enjoy learning. High expectations is what is needed to be a success and I am proud to be an ARES Gator and part of this family.

Posted May 05, 2014
The school is pretty engaged. Reports of bullying(if any) are promptly taken care of. Parents are given good feedback on progress. In general, the students who attend this school are from a higher caliber. There is however some pressure from all the Asian kids for academics. Seems like almost everyone does go out and do external coaching like Kumon etc. So they come back more advanced and you are pressured into getting your kids into one of those places so they dont fall behind.

Posted April 01, 2014
Amazing school, staff and PTA. So many opportunities to be involved and participate in your childs education. Wonderful communication from both school, PTA and teachers. Kids are very fortunate!

Alston Ridge Elementary School 4

Posted March 28, 2014
Although this school is dealing with overcrowding, it is evident that everyone from the administration on down care deeply about the students. The support staff have gone out of their way to help my kids with whatever issues come up and the their teachers are just fantastic! My only complaint is with the county in allow the schools to get so full and not expand it to additional tracks. Over all my kids have had a great experience at ARE.

Alston Ridge Elementary School 2

Posted March 28, 2014
I was a teacher previously- so this is from my teaching experience. I was expecting fantastic things as we held our child back (who had a late birthday) so he could start kindergarten when we moved here. Immediately the classes were overfull- we started with a temporary teacher and it took them a good while to hire another k-teacher. The communication from the school is very poor. They never send notes home about events, snow days, change of snow days, etc. The school does not offer opportunities for parents to come in and participate. They are not allowed to celebrate any holiday or seasonal activities at all- which I think is sad considering all of the diversity in this area. (And even more sad since they are kindergarteners). My child NEVER comes home with colored work, activities where they cut and glue, etc. Very little work materials sent home that show work completed and where the teacher reviewed it. Poor control of student behavior in the classroom. The cafeteria is extremely loud. Very poor management of the students who are sliding their lunch boxes on the floor, yelling, throwing spoons, etc.

Alston Ridge Elementary School
11555 Green Level Church Road, Cary, NC  27519
Last modified Alston Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alston Ridge Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top