Chapel Hill, NC

Posted December 03, 2014
Wanted to share a positive experience about St. Thomas More Middle School. We have a 6th grade child in the Middle School. This year, he has faced some health concerns and has missed quite a few days of school. The Middle School teachers have worked beautifully with us as a family to work together as a team to ensure that our child has a successful school year. They have met with us at 2 conferences--multiple teachers at a time, sent email updates and worked with us to make sure he gets a great education in spite of missing days at school. On top of that, the love, concern and prayers he receives from his friends just makes us know that St. Thomas More school is the right place for our child and our family. Our son has good friends at the school who care about him. We've been a family at this school for 11 years. If you are looking for a school that works to educate the whole child, spiritually and intellectually, you will find what you are looking for at St. Thomas More School.

Posted November 25, 2014
Middle School Review: New as Middle school family Very disappointing so far. I have to bet that any favorable review of this school is ONLY for the younger grades. What was represented to be "God Centered , excellent school" could NOT BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH! Problem after problem,,,,,especially with unruly , unkind children and Blatant Bullying that is totally brushed over by the Principals. Save your money, you can do just as well at public school.

Posted August 04, 2014
NOT a Catholic School!!!! Just happened upon this web site when looking into a school to transfer my St. Thomas More child to! I feel compelled to warn anyone thinking about sending your child to this "Catholic " school. The principal (s) are using this school as a 'teething ring' as they have zero experience as school administrators! When asked anything substantive specific to Catholic Education..they give the reference to what is done at the PUBLIC schools!!???.I have since learned that they are both from the PUBLIC school system. We have been here 3 years and have been SHOCKED at the children's behavior that we see , and how it has negatively influenced my child's behavior. I am desperately seeking another school, but alas have been wait listed at all area quality schools. We so dread returning here , and are seriously considering using the public school system until the wait lists open up.
6 people found this helpful

Posted June 04, 2014
What was once a lovely school with an outstanding reputation has become a disgrace. I have three children that attend this school and I am simply amazed by it's decline. The lower school is okay, most of the teachers are wonderful, but the middle school is a disaster. The children frequently bully each other, put each other down, and use disgusting and foul language. Don't expect this sort of behavior to be addressed or corrected. The administration doesn't have a clue as to how to encourage and enforce good character. They believe that all kids bully, curse and make fun of each other and this sort of behavior just naturally happens and this is just "kids being kids". If you bring concerns to the Principle, don't expect much more than an apathetic answer that consists of a strange, rambling mantra about how unacceptable behavior happens in public school too. Just because the kids are taught prayers and attend mass weekly, this does not constitute a God-centered environment. The academics in the middle school are weak and disorganized. They can't keep a math or english teacher beyond a year or two. Please say a prayer for this place - they could use it!
6 people found this helpful

Posted May 16, 2014
All three of our children have attended or are still attending STM. The school has a rich history of educating children in a God-centered environment. I have seen all three of my children grow as individuals intellectually, socially and spiritually during their time at STM. On the whole, the teachers are exceptionally caring and compassionate people and very capable educators. I would highly recommend STM to any family seeking a structured, safe and caring learning environment for their child(ren).

Posted March 23, 2014
I have four children, three of whom attend STM (the fourth is not old enough yet). I cannot say enough good things about this school; the teachers, staff, and families are so warm and welcoming that once I visited the school it was an easy choice to make. The parent volunteers are crucial to making it such a wonderful experience for my children. Every day I send them off to school, I know they are safe and building good character as well as great academic skills. I just wish they had a high school.

Posted March 16, 2014
We have had 3 kids attend STM. The new principal has little administrative experience. The middle school is now being used as a training ground for an Assistant Principal with zero administrative experience and for freshmen teachers who have never taught before. What was formerly a strongly Catholic environment for learning, now experiences frequent student behavioral issues including blatant bullying. We are saddened by the passive and apathetic teaching and leadership. Tuition increases are large, annual and not well articulated as to justification .
5 people found this helpful

Posted April 06, 2013
We could not have asked for a better school for our children. It is a warm, inviting, engaging and caring environment that has nurtured our children spiritually, emotionally and intellectually. We feel blessed to have STM School as a part of our life. From the dedicated and gifted teachers to the wonderful facilities, the school is top notch. We highly recommend a family looking for a challenging and supportive environment for their children to consider being a part of the STM community.

Posted July 18, 2011
Wonderful teachers, great supportive community environment. The school works to include everyone to the best of each individual's ability and this stretches the children just enough to grow into amazing people. My kids love STM and have achieved the unexpected at this school.

Posted April 15, 2010

St. Thomas More Catholic School
920 Carmichael Street, Chapel Hill, NC  27514
Last modified St. Thomas More Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. Thomas More Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top