Chapel Hill, NC

Posted April 09, 2015
I can't say enough good things about Culbreth. My daughter transferred to the school in the middle of 6th grade. The counselors, teachers and administration all made her transition incredibly smooth. Every teacher I have met has impressed me enormously and seems to truly cares about the kids. Most public school environments are so terrible these days that it is refreshing to see enthusiastic and high quality teachers and seemingly strong school morale. No one (parents, teachers, staff) seems to say anything negative about this school, which is rarely the case with public or private schools! My daughter likes school and loves her teachers. She's done very well academically in school and on standardized tests. So glad I moved her to Culbreth.

Posted August 12, 2014
This school is one of the worst schools my kids have attended. It is a negative environment. The curriculum is not challenging. The administration will not work with parents to get kids in a class that is the best fit for them. Principal is flaky. My child has 10 minutes of homework per night - at most! - in 6th grade and is not being challenged in the classroom. Look elsewhere if you want a postivie, challenging school.

Grey Culbreth Middle School 4

Posted April 28, 2014
My two sons both attended Grey Culbreth, and had very positive experiences. They are building a new science wing, which will be ready for the 2014/15 school year. Excellent teachers, support staff. Good music and arts program. Love the chorus teacher, Mr. Jones.

Grey Culbreth Middle School 2

Posted March 23, 2014
We have been at Culbreth for the past two and a half years, and our daughter will finish eighth grade soon. While middle school is arguably the harder years for students, our daughter has scored very highly in outside programs, via Duke TIPS, for example, taking her ACT in seventh grade and scoring in the 90th percentile among HS students. The teachers do their best, but high turnover and continued cuts to the system have made this school suffer. We appreciate the overworked gifted specialists and teachers most, but some teachers are not as good as others, and the principal is the worst I have ever known. There is more emphasis on sports than academic teams by the principal, and little creative thought as to how to leverage the many benefits we have living so close to major universities. Would have chosen Phillips if we had to do it over, but all the schools are suffering now.

Posted February 28, 2013
Principal is horrible! Discipline and student safety issues are handled by administrative interns instead of principal!

Posted February 25, 2013
PRINCIPAL IS AWFUL! My student was intentionally tripped in the hallway and even though the principal knew about the incident, she handed it off to an administrative intern! The intern informed me that even though a videotape confirmed that the student intentionally tripped my child, no disciplinary action would be taken; she did however recommend that my child should "try to avoid the other student, just to be safe." What is the principal's job, if not to ensure the safety of the students and enforce the student code of conduct?

Posted September 27, 2011
New Principal, even better experience, with good communication and caring for kids. The principal now is focused on the kids (has one in the school) and is a beloved staff member from the local high school. It's early in the year and we're already feeling welcomed. We had a great experience over the last 2 years, and with 2 kids at the school now are loving the teachers, the teams, the athletics, and the whole experience!

Grey Culbreth Middle School 4

Posted March 19, 2011
THIS PRINCIPAL IS HORRIBLE THE PATHFINDERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO RUN AND PLAY AT PA ALL WE CAN DO IS WALK AROUND THE TRACK WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HIGH FIVE OR W WILL GET ISS

Grey Culbreth Middle School 3

Posted January 29, 2011
I think that the teachers go above and beyond, but the principal only seems to care about the Ipods. They currently have a drug problem at the school, fighting, and steeling. It seems to take the student 4 or 5 times of bad behavior before something is done and then it is only 1 or 2 days of ISS.

Posted January 27, 2011
it is the best school i know in the south. And the teachers are wonderful they work one one with the students.

Grey Culbreth Middle School
225 Culbreth Road, Chapel Hill, NC  27516
Last modified Grey Culbreth Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grey Culbreth Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top