Bad
Good

Phillips is like an ordinary middle school. Yes, there may be bullying but teachers and guidance are always there to help. The 2 years I've been at Phillips has been amazing, Ive learned lots of things that would help me proceed further in life. I love it here, such spirit, and Im glad to be a Phillips Falcon. You should go here, and everything is awesome.

We recently moved from out of state and selected this district because of the excellent things we heard and read, primarily about the high schools. We have been very disappointed in both this middle and an elementary school in this district. My children's classrooms are "learning" things my children learned last year at our prior public school and there seems to be little instruction for gifted or accelerated despite claims to the contrary. Further, there is a fairly high percentage of children who "act out" in the classroom and it appears that little is done to control such poor behavior. We are considering private school despite allegedly being in the "best" district in the state. A very disappointing experience.

this is a very bad school with a lot of bully so it seems to me that you can't send your kids here.

Phillips middle school isn't a very good school. It is really old fashioned with everything which can be hard to go to school with.

Phillips is an outstanding middle school. Our daughter is in her 3rd year and has had an excellent experience throughout her time there. We are very happy with the new principal. A great atmosphere for academics, with many enthusiastic, highly skilled teachers and very bright, motivated students. There are so many opportunities for students to participate and grow: Math and science clubs, model UN, debate team, wonderful music programs, and excellent athletics programs, to name several our daughter's been involved with. She has only wished there were time to do more. I never thought middle school could be such a great experience! The faculty and administration have been supportive and seem to get to know the students well. Parents are very involved, and there is a good community feeling. We're looking forward to having our younger child go to Phillips soon.

This is a wonderful school. A school is a place for learning. Those who are having issues, problems and complaints with the school is expecting the school to babysit their children which is not the time nor the place to do such a task. On the otherhand, parents are also NOT disciplining their children which is an issue with the parent and not the school. Again, if your expections are to send your chidren to learn then this is one of the greatest public schools in the country. I have had my chidlren in private school and this school is doing a very similar job as you would find in a privite school hence my name for it "the private public school! Parent of 2 middle schoolers at Phillips

Starting our second year at Phillips and have had a very positive experience at this school. The 6th&7th grade teachers have been outstanding (and mostly likeable) and have succeeded in teaching the curriculum often with enthusiasm and interesting/fun methods. Teachers have been very responsive to issues and have worked with us amicably and proactively. As far as the bullying complaints... to quote our child: "that's the biggest joke Mom; its the kids of the complaining parents that have the worst behaviors in class." We've heard a few past bullying incidents, but most have been unreported by parents to school officials (so how can anyone complain that's a school problem.) Our child reports to us when there are disruptions in class (and there's always a few kids, in every school, in every class year), and misbehavior is handled very swiftly and usually at the beg of class. And while the facility is old and could use some sprucing (complaints that bathrooms r "gross!"), we are impressed with the cleanliness and lack of clutter. Sports are run fair & emphasize effort and fun. Our child is happy here and getting great results, so in the end that's all we really care about.

The bullying problem is worsening. Don't send your kid here. The teachers are caring, but the enviornment is hostile to parents and vulnerable children.

This school has many problems I gave a star to the dedicated teachers who work so hard and care about the students. The leadership in the school is lacking, the school itself is in serious disrepair, and the general school culture is one of fear and apathy. I am disappointed that such a school exists in Chapel Hill. I had expected better. Problems with discipline and communication make this a low-function school. Unhappy staff and troubled kids make for a sad combination.

As an 8th grader, I have been at Phillips all 3 years, and have learned a lot. The teachers here are very helpful and nice, and will give you personal assistance if you ask for help studying, on homework, etc. This school has a Leap program, an accelerated learning course for advanced students, as well as many extracurricular clubs and competition teams, like chess, math, theater, track, and other sports. There is also a wide variety of elective classes, and plenty of time to take all the ones you want to. I have noticed that the kids with special needs are taken very good care of. The guidance counselers and the principal knows all the students well, and you can always go to them for any kind of non-academic troubles or advice. This school is wonderful; much better than all of the previous I have been to.

Last modified Guy Phillips Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.