Posted July 19, 2014
I graduated from SCMS 3 years ago, and I think it's a great middle school. The workload was fine, and I had no problem getting A's and B's in my classes. Most of the teachers I had were very helpful. There were a couple teachers who shouldn't have gotten jobs there, but they're not working there anymore. It's a beautiful school, and it's kept very clean and decorated with artwork. There are several different electives you can take, and there are also "9th block" classes that are usually fun. The only thing I hated about this school was gym class. We had to take it every year, and I always felt like I was being tortured while I was participating in it. I definitely got some great workouts though. I always felt safe while I was in this school, and the teachers made an effort to prevent bullying. However, every school is going to have bullies no matter where it is. All in all, South Charlotte is great and I'm glad I went there because it's definitely one of the best middle schools in Charlotte. South Charlotte was also a good transition into high school; I felt prepared, and most people from South Charlotte went to Providence High School with me, so I knew a lot of people!

Posted July 03, 2014
i hate this school so much i came home crying everyday because of the kids there and how the teachers didn't do anything they actually gave me punishments and not them. my friend who has adhd was always looked down and never treated right by teachers...i hope this school gets torn down. THIS IS NOT A 10!!

Posted June 19, 2014
If you want your child to have a great education, DO NOT SEND THEM TO THIS SCHOOL! My child came from a 7/10 school in a different state. Although the rating was not perfect, it was not the correct rating. The school had amazing dedicated staff who helped all the children learn, and the statement, "No child left behind" was extremely brought to life there. I chose this school for her because of the test scores and rating, but so far her year has been awful. She has struggled and some of the teachers here are so unhappy with their job they want they have no motivation to help the students. She has gone from straight A's and occasional B's to C and D averages. They spend so much time preparing on how to take an EOG test, there's no time left to actually learn and process what is on it. The students here, who are all mostly upper class seem to be very stuck up and it seems not down to earth here at all with anyone at this school. My daughter's friends have been bullied and so has she, which the office did nothing about for her. If I could, I would move to a new area of Charlotte in an heartbeat. Disgusted with the things I've seen at this school.

Posted June 19, 2014
If you want your child to have a great education, DO NOT SEND THEM TO THIS SCHOOL!!! My child came from a 7/10 school in a different state. Although the rating was not perfect, it was not the correct rating. The school had amazing dedicated staff who helped all the children learn, and the statement, "No child left behind" was extremely brought to life there. I chose this school for her because of the test scores and rating, but so far her year has been awful. She has struggled and some of the teachers here are so unhappy with their job they want they have no motivation to help the students. She has gone from straight A's and occasional B's to C and D averages. They spend so much time preparing on how to take an EOG test, there's no time left to actually learn and process what is on it. The students here, who are all mostly upper class seem to be very stuck up and it seems not down to earth here at all with anyone at this school. My daughter's friends have been bullied and so has she, which the office did nothing about for them but tell the girls to stop. If I could, I would move to a different area of Charlotte in an heartbeat. Disgusted with the things I've seen at this school.

Posted July 15, 2013
My child came to this school from an outstanding school in a neighboring state. This school has been terrific for my child. It is a tough but fair school. They have a great arts program. Most middle schools don't have chorus, art, drama and he has really enjoyed these classes. My child plays sports and is very involved. The school and principal seem to care about my child and there are always fun things that he looks forward to. South Charlotte has a great reputation and great test scores for a reason. They are doing things right.

Posted June 29, 2013
( CONTINUED) If these kids dont like you, they wont speak to you, look at you, or if they do they will look you up and down, and either laugh or whisper into their stupid little friends ears, or BOTH. RUDE. -_-! 3rd, If you are into the arts like me, then heck no for this school if you want any sort of artisic skill teaching. They have a overall terrible arts program. ( Drama, Music, Orchestra, Band, Art, Computer) Haha computer... Im a geek ;P . 4th, The academics stink, hey dont work with you if you dont get soemthing, their like " OH WELL STUPID"! And they rush like crazy. They will work on a lesson for maybe a day or 2, at the most maybe 3. 5th, like I was talking about before the teachers were being rude? Yea so is the staff. In the office one day my mom wanted to drop off my lunch box because we were running late and I forgot my lunch box. So my mom goes up to the ladies and she says " Um excuze me, Hi, Im *My moms name* And im here to drop... ( the lady interupps) " WHAAAA?" " Excuze me but you need to go to guidance...... EXCUZE ME? WHAT? SO RUDE. Anyway I hope you dont choose this school.. And dont let the 10 out of 10 fool you.

South Charlotte Middle 3

Posted May 19, 2013
I was formerly associated with this school, and it is definitely NOT student-centered. Many teachers seem to think that giving a lot of homework equals rigor. They are also very inflexible when it comes to finding ways for students to be successful; it is their way or nothing at all. Some of these teachers also refuse to see the need for updating their professional development, thinking that what they have done all along still works. Good teaching is good teaching, but times are changing, as are students, so it is always wise to keep up to date. You won't find it at this school. Its all about conformity and being seen as the "only middle school that prepares kids for high school" which means they pay no attention to adolescent development.

Posted April 19, 2013
Parents are not welcomed as valuable contributors to their children's education at South Charlotte. Many of the teachers are rude and kids are afraid of the teachers. Two children I have talked with recently think its ironic that the school push for the kids to commit to not bullying yet allow their teachers to bully and intimidate the students. Avoid this school if possible. Many that can afford so do by sending their kids to private schools for middle school and then to Prov for high school.

South Charlotte Middle 4

Posted December 17, 2012
I was a student at SCMS and it has a couple good teachers. I think it has a good leadership/principal, and it was not challenging because i wasn't the best test taker therefore i got in classes below me even though they knew I had more potential. Over all I thought it was a good school.

Posted May 09, 2012
I am a teacher at this school and a parent of a child that has attended this school. The leadership is excellent, and the teachers are excellent. Students rise to the high standards that are set for them, and the outcome is a quality, rigorous education.

South Charlotte Middle
8040 Strawberry Lane, Charlotte, NC  28277
Last modified South Charlotte Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Charlotte Middle Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews.