Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

The school is very welcoming and committed to the excellence of children. The principal is very forward thinking. The parents are very committed to pouring in to the community. As a result of this collective commitment.... Irwin thrives.

The staff and overall atmosphere of Irwin Academic Center is wrapped up into one word, "Family". As soon as you enter the front door, you can tell everyone enjoys being there and considers all -family! Students and parents are welcomed with open arms. The curriculum is challenging for all students and my husband and I have seen how our daughter's knowledge base has expanded. She enjoys learning and loves her teachers! We thank you for the hard work and dedication to help make our children's education exceed our expectations!

Irwin has a great tradition of being a full magnet school and they take pride in preserving that tradition by continuing to enhance the educational boundaries of its students through innovation and great support from the PTA. Irwin is one of the best elementary schools in Charlotte, NC.

We have had a wonderful experience at Irwin. The staff and parents are so committed to the school. It is truly inspiring. The approach to learning is very innovative - when my son tells me about his day I can't believe how fun and different it sounds. We've also been extremely impressed with the extracurricular programs offered. They are plentiful and top notch. We are so glad that we chose Irwin.

The new principal is approachable, concerned and a great addition to Irwin. The environment and morale has changed 100% for the better under her guidance. However with the large amount of teachers new to the school or new to the grade it has caused some huge bumps with curriculum and communication. The PTA is strong and the children are challenged but unfortunately it is a teaching-to-the-test circumstance at Irwin just like every other CMS school. If you don't like subjecting your kids to one standardized test after the other then a private school may be a better option.

I have children attending Irwin Academic Center and had children attend it's predecessor school, Villa Heights Academic Center. The new principal Ms. Ashford is excellent and listens to the concerns of parents. I highly recommend this school and the many wonderful, concerned teachers who work there.

This is one of the best public schools. They do a very good job focusing on education and preparing my child. He has made good friends here. Very few behavior issues. It has always had a strong pta from the beginning.

As a parent of children at Irwin Academic Center, I was drawn to this school for its reputation for excellence as well as the positive and welcoming atmosphere for parents and students. The teachers are wonderful, and really care about the success of my children as well as the other students. However, I do agree with the other parents in that the administrative leadership of the school has lost sight of the mission of the school as a whole and how to facilitate a caring, creative, and innovative school culture for learning. It is apparent in the unhappiness of the staff and the hostility of the new leadership that the positive qualities of Irwin are in jeopardy. I do hope that Irwin maintains its excellent reputation and school culture and retains the high quality teachers that are currently there.

My son has been with this school (and Villa Heights as its previous location) since Kindergarten, and he is now in 5th grade. Overall he has had an excellent educational experience due to the awesome and dedicated teachers. If he'd been in a typical elementary school, he would have been bored to tears and probably disruptive. However I am concerned about the new leadership (principal and vice principal). I'm not sure they really "get it" in terms of what the school is. So far my concerns have been met with complete disinterest by the new leaders. I had honestly hoped for better than Mr. LeGrand, but Shirley and Matthews are actually making him look very good by comparison. These two need to be more in touch with the parents and their concerns, or I fear this wonderful school will lose its glory in the future. For the sake of the kids, I really hope not.

Irwin Academic Center is a great place for gifted children. My third-grade daughter is kept challenged without getting overwhelmed or burned out. The teachers and school keep parents constantly informed about their children's progress and school happenings. The teachers seem to get alot of support from administraion and truely seem to love teaching. The school allows students to bring their own technology to class and use the school's wi-fi for class projects and research. My daughter's teacher mixes in fun activities after stressful activities (like tests) to keep the kids in a good mood. My only complaint would be the after-school care coordinator who seems to be sick of her job and being around children. Luckily her support staff compensate for this. If you have a child that is bored and not challenged at their current school, I would definitely recommend trying to get into this magnet school.

Last modified Irwin Academic Center is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.