Charlotte, NC

Irwin Academic Center 4

Posted March 19, 2015
The new principal is approachable, concerned and a great addition to Irwin. The environment and morale has changed 100% for the better under her guidance. However with the large amount of teachers new to the school or new to the grade it has caused some huge bumps with curriculum and communication. The PTA is strong and the children are challenged but unfortunately it is a teaching-to-the-test circumstance at Irwin just like every other CMS school. If you don't like subjecting your kids to one standardized test after the other then a private school may be a better option.

Posted February 05, 2015
I have children attending Irwin Academic Center and had children attend it's predecessor school, Villa Heights Academic Center. The new principal Ms. Ashford is excellent and listens to the concerns of parents. I highly recommend this school and the many wonderful, concerned teachers who work there.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 30, 2014
This is one of the best public schools. They do a very good job focusing on education and preparing my child. He has made good friends here. Very few behavior issues. It has always had a strong pta from the beginning.
2 people found this helpful

Irwin Academic Center 3

Posted December 05, 2013
As a parent of children at Irwin Academic Center, I was drawn to this school for its reputation for excellence as well as the positive and welcoming atmosphere for parents and students. The teachers are wonderful, and really care about the success of my children as well as the other students. However, I do agree with the other parents in that the administrative leadership of the school has lost sight of the mission of the school as a whole and how to facilitate a caring, creative, and innovative school culture for learning. It is apparent in the unhappiness of the staff and the hostility of the new leadership that the positive qualities of Irwin are in jeopardy. I do hope that Irwin maintains its excellent reputation and school culture and retains the high quality teachers that are currently there.

Irwin Academic Center 4

Posted November 20, 2013
My son has been with this school (and Villa Heights as its previous location) since Kindergarten, and he is now in 5th grade. Overall he has had an excellent educational experience due to the awesome and dedicated teachers. If he'd been in a typical elementary school, he would have been bored to tears and probably disruptive. However I am concerned about the new leadership (principal and vice principal). I'm not sure they really "get it" in terms of what the school is. So far my concerns have been met with complete disinterest by the new leaders. I had honestly hoped for better than Mr. LeGrand, but Shirley and Matthews are actually making him look very good by comparison. These two need to be more in touch with the parents and their concerns, or I fear this wonderful school will lose its glory in the future. For the sake of the kids, I really hope not.

Posted May 03, 2013
Irwin Academic Center is a great place for gifted children. My third-grade daughter is kept challenged without getting overwhelmed or burned out. The teachers and school keep parents constantly informed about their children's progress and school happenings. The teachers seem to get alot of support from administraion and truely seem to love teaching. The school allows students to bring their own technology to class and use the school's wi-fi for class projects and research. My daughter's teacher mixes in fun activities after stressful activities (like tests) to keep the kids in a good mood. My only complaint would be the after-school care coordinator who seems to be sick of her job and being around children. Luckily her support staff compensate for this. If you have a child that is bored and not challenged at their current school, I would definitely recommend trying to get into this magnet school.

Posted March 25, 2013
I have a Kindergartner, 3rd grader in the TD program and a 5th grader in the TD program at Irwin. All of the teachers my children have had have all been amazing. The curriculum is rigorous and our extra curricular activities have suffered because of the additional 45 minutes CMS added to the school day as well as the long commute to and from school. Over all, IAC is wonderful and we feel very fortunate to be part of this school community.

Posted February 13, 2013
Irwin Academic Center (IAC) is by far one of the best magnet schools in greater Charlotte and surrounding counties. No wonder it is ranked at 99th percentile by NC dept of Education compared to other Charter and private schools in & around Charlotte. Our child was earlier attending a private school and we feel we have wasted thousands of $$ in comparison to IAC. Teachers are very knowledgeable and EXTRA talented. The curriculum is quite challenging and the leadership qualities of the principal, PTA & school staff is worth applauding. They make learning so much fun and interesting with field trips, hands on experience with science, math, arts even at elementary school level and our child enjoys this school very very much. The extra curricular clubs like chess, language, puzzles, Lego clubs, science, math clubs/Olympiads, girls on the run etc are just a few to mention of the many activities that make this school's learning environment extra ordinary and well above PAR. We are very pleased with the results we have been noticing in our child. My child LOVES LOVES school. We as parents cannot emphasize more on how great this school is! We definitely recommend this school to any parent!

Posted October 29, 2012
Love it here. It is a magnet program for children who need more challenging work or are excelling above peers; the only issue is that there are lots of children enrolled who don't meet this criteria, despite the school communicating clearly before you apply to the lottery about it's mission. In our Kindergarten class, the teacher has estimated that 25% of the children are at the appropriate level for the school, the remaining 75% are not, so she hasn't yet had time to focus on the higher achievers...she has to spend her time resources on the majority of class. However, she plans to find more challenging work for those who would enjoy that, so we'll see how the remainder of the academic term goes.

Posted July 23, 2012
The new school building is located in the heart of Charlotte (Uptown) and is one of the BEST schools in the city for various reasons.This school is absolutely fantastic with challenging curriculum and strong leadership qualities that every parent envisions for their children. The school environment is very well disciplined and the teachers are so talented. Homework and projects even in kindergarten are quite creative & challenging for the kids and bring the best out of their abilities. The assignments/projects and even day to day homework make the children think and understand the subject or concept as an entity. I have seen a tremendous improvement in my child's academics. We as parents are absolutely happy and truly thankful to all those staff members for their exquisite teamwork and the principal & teachers who make this school as one of the Top notch schools in Charlotte metropolitan area. I would HIGHLY recommend this school to any one parent wants to send their kids to a challenging and stimulating environment. This school and its outstanding curriculum is going to turn your average kid into one of the smartest ones and you will NOT be disappointed.

Irwin Academic Center
329 N. Irwin Avenue, Charlotte, NC  28202
Last modified Irwin Academic Center is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Irwin Academic Center Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top