Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

Posted August 21, 2016
The school is very welcoming and committed to the excellence of children. The principal is very forward thinking. The parents are very committed to pouring in to the community. As a result of this collective commitment.... Irwin thrives.

Posted November 30, 2015
The staff and overall atmosphere of Irwin Academic Center is wrapped up into one word, "Family". As soon as you enter the front door, you can tell everyone enjoys being there and considers all -family! Students and parents are welcomed with open arms. The curriculum is challenging for all students and my husband and I have seen how our daughter's knowledge base has expanded. She enjoys learning and loves her teachers! We thank you for the hard work and dedication to help make our children's education exceed our expectations!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 23, 2015
I would like to thank all the teachers and staff at Irwin Academic Center for all the hard work and focus they place on making the school a safe and enjoying environment for my kids to learn. From janitors, cafeteria staff to the principal, everyone at Irwin makes sure that our children are their first priority. Thank You to all of you.

Posted November 21, 2015
Irwin has a great tradition of being a full magnet school and they take pride in preserving that tradition by continuing to enhance the educational boundaries of its students through innovation and great support from the PTA. Irwin is one of the best elementary schools in Charlotte, NC.

Posted November 19, 2015
We have had a wonderful experience at Irwin. The staff and parents are so committed to the school. It is truly inspiring. The approach to learning is very innovative - when my son tells me about his day I can't believe how fun and different it sounds. We've also been extremely impressed with the extracurricular programs offered. They are plentiful and top notch. We are so glad that we chose Irwin.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 19, 2015
While I was nervous at first about my son being assigned to a new teacher, Mr. Barnhart has turned out to be everything I could have wanted in a teacher and more. His love and passion for his work is evident each and every day and it inspires his students to listen and learn. My son now even wants to spend his free time building on what he learned in school. The extracurricular programs are also plentiful and top notch. Irwin is a fantastic school and we are so glad we chose it.

Irwin Academic Center 4

Posted March 19, 2015
The new principal is approachable, concerned and a great addition to Irwin. The environment and morale has changed 100% for the better under her guidance. However with the large amount of teachers new to the school or new to the grade it has caused some huge bumps with curriculum and communication. The PTA is strong and the children are challenged but unfortunately it is a teaching-to-the-test circumstance at Irwin just like every other CMS school. If you don't like subjecting your kids to one standardized test after the other then a private school may be a better option.

Posted February 05, 2015
I have children attending Irwin Academic Center and had children attend it's predecessor school, Villa Heights Academic Center. The new principal Ms. Ashford is excellent and listens to the concerns of parents. I highly recommend this school and the many wonderful, concerned teachers who work there.

Posted April 30, 2014
This is one of the best public schools. They do a very good job focusing on education and preparing my child. He has made good friends here. Very few behavior issues. It has always had a strong pta from the beginning.

Irwin Academic Center 3

Posted December 05, 2013
As a parent of children at Irwin Academic Center, I was drawn to this school for its reputation for excellence as well as the positive and welcoming atmosphere for parents and students. The teachers are wonderful, and really care about the success of my children as well as the other students. However, I do agree with the other parents in that the administrative leadership of the school has lost sight of the mission of the school as a whole and how to facilitate a caring, creative, and innovative school culture for learning. It is apparent in the unhappiness of the staff and the hostility of the new leadership that the positive qualities of Irwin are in jeopardy. I do hope that Irwin maintains its excellent reputation and school culture and retains the high quality teachers that are currently there.

329 N. Irwin Avenue, Charlotte, NC  28202
Last modified Irwin Academic Center is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.