Posted September 08, 2014
My three children have all attended Smithfield and our experience has been absolutely wonderful. The staff is cheerful and caring, children feel loved, and there are lots of ways to get involved. Best of all, every one of them had a great teacher every year.

Smithfield Elementary 2

Posted May 09, 2014
This is NOT a great school despite all the cheerleading you hear. Suggestions for change aren't welcome by leadership The PTA is active but is a social clique that is not welcoming to 'different' parents. Smithfield has a few excellent teachers, but too many of the teachers seem more interested in keeping the kids silent and in their seats than engaged. One teacher who has been there for a long time has a reputation as mean and controlling. Everyone knows it, even the various Principals. Students are afraid of her and yet they keep her as a teacher. We did not have her, but many parents said when they complained their complaints were blown off by the Principals and Vice Principals. In general, I saw more teachers and school personnel over controlling kids so they are like silent little drones, always being corrected and admonished. This seems to be a bigger emphasis than learning. I would not choose to send a child to Smithfield again. It needs a lot of change. Also, my children's test scores, which were always high, dropped while at Smithfield and then went up at other schools. I

Smithfield Elementary 4

Posted August 28, 2013
Great community school. Very involved parent base, lots of PTA support. Awesome principal & assistant principal.

Posted August 27, 2013
Smithfield is a positive and encouraging institution for learning. When you enter, you see the enthusiasm of the students, staff and parents. Witness the strong relationships during welcomed lunch visits. Every staff member is approachable. You will see students encouraging one another & being respectful of others. The school impressively has ALL students participate daily in recycling & re-purposing items. Their lunch ends with the students sorting out their trash into recycle, garbage & compost (used in the school garden). They strive in being current with today's technology and preparing our children for success in the changing world around them: computer testing, Smartboards, iPads, tablet Apps, Bring Your Own Technology to School & Sensory Lab. I have 2 children attending Smithfield. Every time I had a concern, I was given time to discuss and work with staff on it. The principal puts so much personal and professional commitment into students. Her high energy and passion show through her interactions with students, staff, parents, and community. For a large education system, we are surprisingly pleased with our experience and education over the years at Smithfield.

Smithfield Elementary 2

Posted August 17, 2012
This school used to do "whatever it takes". This is no longer the case! We have lost some top teachers over the pat few years and administration is no longer approachable.

Posted September 05, 2010
This school is very welcoming. I had to transfer and Principal Harris was incredibly caring and helpful. My son is challenged and I love the way this school integrates TD so that kids don't even know they are doing something "different" than the other kids. My son's teacher keeps in contact with me when he has concerns. This school is diverse and has a lot of great clubs. Also, since the middle school and high school in this home area are so close, they work a lot together and the older students have volunteer opportunities with the younger students. Great programs!

Posted November 03, 2009
Everyone works together to do whatever it takes to ensure all students succeed.

Posted October 31, 2009
Great teachers, balanced diverslity, focus on all students succeeding

Posted October 23, 2009
The moment you come into smithfield elementary you feel very welcome.Outstanding staff,great teachers and a perfect environment for the kids.

Posted October 23, 2009
Smithfield challenges all children to achieve. Because Smithfield remembers that children are more than just receptacles of knowledge, it provides fun and recognition for their hard work. Teachers often work beyond the regular school hours to ensure this success.They analyze data to drive their relooping of their students. We parents are informed of strategies we can use to help our children excel. My husband and I are encouraged to become partners with our child's teachers in the learning process. The P.T.S.A. is exceptional. It consists of dedicated parents who often continue volunteering in this capacity as their children progress in middle school and high school, thereby enriching the lives of all the students involved. I am proud that my son is a Smithfield Dolphin!!

Smithfield Elementary
3200 Smithfield Church Road, Charlotte, NC  28210
Last modified Smithfield Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smithfield Elementary Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 60 reviews.