Posted April 19, 2014
A past student. I attended collinswood back when it was just an elementary school, but as the only non-parent to post so far, I feel compelled to share my experience. My teachers were all fantastic; most of them were from Spain or Colombia. Student body wise, they were more than 50% native spanish speakers, but I had caught up to their level by the first grade. After heading the the old continuation of collinswood, my class was united with other middle schoolers. And the collinswood students were the best prepared, the best writers, the most outstanding students. After that, the majority of us went the usual pathway, heading over to the continuation of the language immersion at south Mecklenburg, and as a senior there, I am thankful for the strong foundation collinswood provided me. Nothing could have been better. Ivy League class of 2018! (I won't specify which)

Posted October 07, 2013
In our third year at Collinswood. FANTASTIC dual-language Spanish Immersion program. The 9:15-4:15 school day schedule is a bit tough for our family, as is fitting in homework around that, but otherwise it's a great school. The VIF program that brings in teachers from Spanish-speaking countries is especially exciting.

Posted July 26, 2013
Last year was our 1st yr at Collinswood. Kindergarten was a great experience. My son loved it!!! Of course it was not easy, but with the commitment of the teachers, school and the involvement of the parents. Now he knows how to read in English and Spanish, still work in progress, but it made a world of difference. We are very happy and looking forward to another year. Gracias Collinswood!!

Posted February 06, 2012
I have a chil in 4th & one in 1st. Both of my kids have been at Collinswood since kindergarten and we love it. Although our primary language is English both my husband and I had some Spanish in college which helps a lot with the homework. I'm very impressed with how fluent my kids are with the language especially my 4th grader. Sure some parents have issues with different teachers but you'll find that at almost any school. The method they use to teach these kids is amazing! I was nervous at first but the kids catch on so quickly...again the method they use has a proven track record. Last, as far as parental involvement goes, I feel they give several opportunities for parents to get involved. It's up to the parent how much they choose to do so.

Collinswood Language Academy 2

Posted January 21, 2012
I wish that the parents who chose to leave this school wrote their opinion as well. There is little support for the parents who are not spanish speaking to help support their child at home. Compare the demographic of this language immersion to others across the state and you will see an imbalance from the start. Unfortunately too little parents complain to the prinicipal, so nothing changes. I (who was a teaching professional and administrator for over 10 years) have never seen such poor parental support. As for the comment of lack of parental involvement, that is most likely (and I have spoken to other parents) because this school does little to inform parents/support them (it is almost lost after 2nd grade). For children who need help just by the nature of them being immersed in learning a new language (as many ESL students do), they are all too quick to lable children as having learning problems. Those children who were labelled as "learing problems" they have flourished in other schools. Before coming speak to parents and ask for the non-PC opinion. There is more of a drive to keep their scores up and funding, than really teaching a foreign language.

Posted January 10, 2012
My daugher has an IEP and I am very happy with the services she is receiving.

Posted December 04, 2011
I am so expressed with the quality of education my daughter receives at Collinswood. She is not only taught NC curriculum through both English and Spanish, she is given experiences that help her appreciate diverse cultures. Even though my daughter is a native English speaker due to the amazing teaching practices of her teachers, she now speaks fluent Spanish. I am so fortunate that my daughter will be able to stay at a school where she feels safe, supported, challenged, and loved until the 8th grade. She is also looking forward to her 8th grade study abroad trip to Spain.

Posted November 29, 2011
My son is in 1st grade at Collinswood Language Academy. I have to say that having him in Collinswood was one of the best decisions I could have made for his future. This is not just an elementry school. This school is a Language academy that teaches Spanish this is k-8 so by the time your child leaves it they wil be college level spanish going into high school. Also the fact the test scores are amazing check out their progress report in the CMS website. Its not just that makes the school so amazing it is the people the staff they are so attentive to your child.

Posted April 02, 2011
This school is excellent! Mrs. Grant and her staff are dedicated and innovative! The use of Smart Board technology with global learning is amazing! It is a great pleasure to see the students learn cultural diversity through exposure of various Latin cultures. The staff is provides the students with Latin diversity ranging from countries like Spain to Venezuela! The parent involvement is also a strong link to making this school effective. They support teachers and continue to work alongside them through open communication! It truly is a unique school! If you can obtain a spot for your child you will truly be rewarded!

Collinswood Language Academy 0

Posted April 13, 2010
It is a great Spanish Immersion Magnet School!

Collinswood Language Academy
4000 Applegate Rd, Charlotte, NC  28209
Last modified Collinswood Language Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Collinswood Language Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews.