Charlotte, NC

Coulwood Middle 2

Posted August 19, 2014
I am an ex-student of Coulwood. This school in my opinion is something else. The teachers are cool, but the students are OUTRAGEOUS! I'm not kidding! The kids do graffiti on CMS property, smoke and sell marijuana, and to top it all of they practically refuse to pay attention in class. A word of advice to teachers: You guys worked hard to get your jobs. That only means you have to work harder to keep them. Meaning, you have to take control of the classroom, get their attention, and continuously punish them until they finally understand that they aren't there to smoke, do graffiti, or anything in that matter. They are there to learn. Thanks for listening. Special thank you to Ms. Mitchem for helping me survive 6th and 7th grade.

Coulwood Middle 2

Posted May 29, 2014
My children recently transferred to this school we moved from another state and they went to the highest rating schools all there lives. There all honor students and so fare my experience with coulwood has been horrible! The first month my kids had to fight to prove themselves. My first day walking into the school I didn't like what I seen. The first class I went to all the kids were out of control. My kids were into a fight of Friday I didn't here from the school until Monday on two different occasion. I've went to the school to talk to the staff and let them know when it comes to my children I want to know everything right away. They way some of they teachers talk I fell there trying to be friends with the children instead of being a teacher and advocate. Using getto slang instead of proper English. In my option I don't care if the kids like you! Your jobs is to give them the best education possible. Now if they chose not to receive what you have to offer them that's on them and there parents to deal with but you've do your job .And I don't feel my kids are being pushed anymore to the ability. Coulwood step up your game. You have parents they care about there kids education.

Posted March 31, 2014
My daughter is currently in the 7th grade at Coulwood Middle School and I absolutely hate this school. My child has been in two fights due to bullying and I have done incident reports and had a conference with the principal, counselor and resource office and nothing happened. I feel they are there just for a paycheck and care nothing about the student. Keep your child/children away from one of the worst school in CMS. I am in the process of transferring my child to a better school.

Coulwood Middle 5

Posted August 01, 2012
I went to this school for all of middle school and don't know how valuable my review is, considering I am a junior now and the school as apparently changed a lot. I had an amazing experience at Coulwood, it was fun, professional, and very encouraging. I was involved in AVID and the student ambassador program. I also was very close to the staff there, it was truly a home away from home. I often find myself reminiscing on great memories. I highly doubt the school has changed in any major aspects since I was there. It's located in an old but quiet neighborhood. I hope my review helped in any way!

Coulwood Middle 5

Posted May 23, 2012
I currently have a daughter that is completing the 8th grade, she has been at Coulwood since her 6th grade year. I fought tooth and nail for my child to not attend this school because of what I had "heard" about the school. I can honestly say that my daughter's experience has been wonderful. She was a very shy student when she started but since she has been pushed and motivated by some of the most caring teachers and now she is all Honors classes and also taking Algebra 1, she has found a love for band, and taken several college tours since being at Coulwood. The CIS and Avid teachers are awesome. Because I am "INVOLVED" and my daughter understands that I will not tolerate her doing anything other than going to school to learn, I have not had any problems and I don't regret allowing her to attend. There are many involved, active parents as well. The new principal is very awesome, she was able to get all of the students to read "The Hunger Games" this year. Your child's experience in middle and high school start at home!

Coulwood Middle 4

Posted April 15, 2012
My son is a current student at Coulwood Middle since the 6th grade. The teachers are very professional and very involved with the students education. My son can solve Algebra very intelligently knowing the rules of operations and relationships like a little math genius. Before attending Coulwood he struggled with math. My son is doing good in all his subjects. Parents can take advantage of their after school tutoring if their child struggling. A+ for me. The principal recognizes the bullying, fighting, and peer pressure that any middle and high school may encounter. They have group session which involves parents, teachers, and students that focuses on hot topics such as bullying ,knowing how to speak up , reaching out for help and being safe. A+ for me. The principal at this school does not award bad behavior! Disciplinary actions will happen in school or out of school suspension for kids who chooses to act badly. My son is not an angel; himself was involved in a fight and therefore he was separated from the school on suspension and was not allow to attend special school events. My son knows both; the school nor myself was playing with him. Now he is following all school rules.

Posted April 05, 2012
Both of my daughters attended this school and it is the absolute worse! The teachers are unprofessional and don't care about the students. They give assignments that are meaningless and they only update parent assist once a quarter. The principal also doesn't care about the students either. The only thing important to her is her status. Hence the upfront parking space she put in once she got to the school. Avoid at all costs!

Posted August 24, 2011
I'm new to this school I hope it's nice and on the looks of this school I rated it 1 star it looks small and ugly but whatever

Coulwood Middle 3

Posted August 19, 2011
I am a student that goes to Coulwood middle school. It's okay I think the teaching staff is great they help me keep my grades. The one negative comment I have is there are some negative influences at this school.other than that i personally think this school is okay!

Posted November 08, 2010
I am a current 7th grader at Coulwood Middle School. I used to dream about going to this school and now that I'm here, I have been disappointed at almost every turn. I am a very intelligent person and I realize myself that I need to be challenged constantly to keep from having a literal mental breakdown like I did at the end of my last school year. Coulwood, and CMS for that matter, teaches to the lowest denominator. I do not fit there, and as a result my own education is being hindered. I am bored always even when we're given "high level" work. I'm in Honors for both Math and English and I'm bored to tears. The material is boring, the teaching methods remind me of second grade. They walk us to every class and we sit together at lunch. I hate it, I AM NOT A CHILD.

Coulwood Middle
500 Kentberry Drive, Charlotte, NC  28214
Last modified Coulwood Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Coulwood Middle Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top