East Mecklenburg High

Public | 9-12 | 1756 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 20, 2012

This school is pretty good. I am a current freshman in the IB program at East Meck and I like it so far. It is definitely better than most schools and most of the teachers are extremely dedicated to making sure that we not only get promoted, but we graduate.

Posted May 21, 2011

I am disappointed so far with the education my daughter has received at East Meck. She is completing her sophomore year and I am shocked at the lack of homework my child has brought home in the past two years. Her grades are slightly above average with minimal effort because I don't believe they expect enough from their students. There are other issues I have as well with the school, like she only takes 4 classes per semester, but I believe those are CMS issues and not the school's. If you can send your child to another school- or even to a private school- I highly recommend it.

Posted June 15, 2010

I have a daughter who graduated last year from East and received a good education and got into all of her choice colleges. I also have a rising junior in the IB program at East. As with any public school, you may be dissatisfied with one or two teachers. But overall you won't find a more caring staff. The students are very accepting. I think East is a special place where there is no "in group" of students. The new Principal, Mr. Parker, is very energetic. East has a IB program and will soon be an Academy of Engineering school. It has a lot to offer.

Posted October 5, 2009

We are on our 6th year of a kid at East Meck - and we remain happy with every aspect of the school. Teachers and administrators are great - people who work here want to be here. Student population is a great diverse group - an important aspect that we were looking for in a school. Our two children have had chosen completely different paths at school - and both have been successful.

Posted October 3, 2009

dedicated teachers, great academics, positive attitudes always

Posted January 26, 2009

My daughter graduated from East in 2007. She was neither an AP student or a trouble maker. She was an average student and disappeared among the staff and administration. No on knew her name because she did not cause trouble or make the school 'great' with her academic achievements. She was constantly bullied and called names to which administration's reply was 'we can't stop it!' Would I ever recommend this school - no way! Am I glad my daughter is out of this school - absolutely! My daughter volunteered numerous hours in the community and at her church. She made the school better because of her attendance there. Yet she was invisible to those in charge!

Posted October 31, 2008

As a parent, I wish I had trusted a research-based evaluation of this school. It is easy to fall victim to a small group of virulent PR experts working hard to 'put lipstick on a pig'. My earlier review of the school was not posted, but it is a great school system but without choices in high schools. I should have looked at the numbers before sending my children to East. A very small PTA; over 30% of kids dropouts; very small number of kids taking AP TESTS; very small number of parents involved- all homogenous, and alot of whom are related. Look at the number of kids from nearby who go to private schools... there are alot; communication with parents is not encouraged- they think the kids should just sink or swim. Fine if your never sinks.

Posted October 30, 2008

I have been an East Meck parent for eight years now and my kids have not only had great educational experiences but have truly loved being here. The principal, Mark Nixon and his wonderful staff and teachers truly care about the kids and their education. The school is so safe and secure unlike what outsiders hear on the news - my kids have never been afraid to be on campus. If you happen to be there during the day and walk the campus during classes, there are no kids roaming the halls and you could hear a pin drop. The staff does a wonderful job in making sure that the kids are where they need to be. The diverse population works at East...we are the reigning 4A NC State Basketball champs, our football team is headed for another successful year, the IB program is one of the best...EM is great!

Posted August 4, 2008

Unfortunately, I was only able to attend East Meck for one year. However, East has given me the best year of my life. Thanks to my amazing teachers and my even more amazing principle, my sophmore year is one I will never forget.

Posted June 16, 2008

The Music Program rocks. My son is on the Marching bands. 'Go Eagles'. His being on the band has made a big difference in his life. He is a rising Senior and East is his school.

Posted June 13, 2008

I am a rising senior at East Meck and I have attended this school all 3 years since I entered highschool. I love East Meck. This school is very diverse and I would suggest to any parent or student to send their child to East Meck. Also our 2007-2008 basketball team did win state championships as well. They are great. East Meck has its downfall as all schools do, but with the principal and administration everything turns out to be fine in the end. I love East Meck and I am really going to miss it next year.

Posted March 13, 2008

East Mecklenburg is a wonderful school. I love going here and the administration/students are the best. Its like one big family. The sports, arts, and overall educational programs are amazing.

Posted December 28, 2007

This school has a strong visual arts department, with dedicated and talented teachers!

Posted November 29, 2007

We just moved here from Florida and I was a little worried about the school, but after a couple of months I am very pleased with the faculty in the IB program, I think they are challenging my daughter everyday to work hard with excellence. There is also lots of involvement in sports and clubs. I mostly like the diversity on the student body, allowing them to learn about different cultures around the world.

Posted November 27, 2007

i think that this is a awesome school for students to be protected from harms way and they have an excellent ROTC program

Posted October 22, 2007

My family and I just moved here from another state and I was a little leary about sending my child here because I knew the atmosphere would be different considering we came from a predominantly white school. So far I am impressed with East Meck. I think she is being challenged more academically. She is meeting a lot of positive people and even being challenged playing basketball(which she enjoys playing). I think this is a wonderful school to consider if you are planning on moving here or changing to a different school.

Posted August 20, 2007

My daughters are 2005 and 2007 graduates of East Meck. They had great educational experiences, and the school offered opportunities to particpate in a wide range of activities. Mr. Nixon is totally committed to making the school and all students successful, and the staff is outstanding.

Posted August 14, 2007

i was a student at east meck and although the teachers are great educators, the schools adminstration isnt that good.. i would probbly think twice before ever going back to this school.

Posted March 25, 2007

Although this school has many fine points, it has SO many bad points they cancel out the good points. I have never seen or meet Mr. Nixon in person. When I was registered, they gave me my classes and nothing else. No dress code, nothing. Don't get me wrong, this is still a pretty OK school and its finer points have been pointed out by others, but before decieding to send your child to this school talk to other STUDENTS, not PARENTS.

Posted February 6, 2007

I have two children at East Merck. My son is a senior. My daughter is in the 10th grade. I cannot say in less than 150 words how wonderful East Meck is. Mr. Nixon is by far the greatest Principal I have ever been in contact with. Both of my children have been very fortunate in always having the best Teachers! And they have both had different teachers along their journey at East Meck. You cannot go wrong any Teacher you get and we have never had to request a change. I will never forget when my son came to me in his 1st year at East and could not believe Mr. Nixon knew his when greeting him to school that morning! What a difference this makes to students when the Principal is able to greet all students by name. You can expect nothing but the best at East Meck!

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2011.

430 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

All Students80%
Students with disabilities80%
Proficient in English80%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

399 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 82% in 2011.

424 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

559 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Civics and Economics

The state average for Civics and Economics was 80% in 2011.

435 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English I

The state average for English I was 83% in 2012.

493 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 77% in 2011.

28 students were tested at this school in 2011.

United States History

The state average for United States History was 82% in 2011.

336 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 64%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (980) 343-6437

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options