East Mecklenburg High 5

Posted August 10, 2014
Great school! I was fortunate to attend high school here, after having been stuck in the Christian school system for elementary and middle school. What a relief! How glad I am that I got exposed to real education and diverse people before I went to college! East Mecklenburg has a great variety of AP and IB classes, with some wonderful teachers at the helm. I entered the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with 25 credit hours, thanks to my wonderful AP classes that really prepared me for the tests. Students here are open and friendly, with groups mixing relatively easily. I may not have been a "popular" kid, but I never felt unpopular or unwanted. For the first time in my life, East Meck exposed me to diversity both in culture and in education. Both were MILES better than my Christian school experiences, and I strongly discourage Charlotte parents from sending their kids to Christian schools. Maybe you'll worry about East Meck's location or the fact that it's not the richest public school in Charlotte, but that's a baseless worry. If your child is motivated, there are as many opportunities for them here as Myers Park or Independence or any other public school.

Posted May 12, 2014
I have one son that attended and graduated from East Meck in 2013. He was not in the IB program but excelled academically. East Meck offered sufficient honors classes and AP classes to satisfy our needs. He was accepted into every college he applied to including the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and NC State. He just finished his freshman year at NC State in mechanical engineering. He was on the Dean's List both semesters! My son was well prepared for college based on the education he received from East Meck. It is not necessary to be in the IB program unless that is something your child really wants to do. I have seen so many kids struggle in IB and not enjoy their high school years at all. It is not necessary if they take Honors classes and AP classes. No school is perfect -- not private or public. All schools have some issue that you will have to deal with as a parent. My son transferred from Vance High School to East Meck during his freshman year. That was the best move we could have made. The student body is very diverse and they stress respect for all. Not much fighting but it does happen. The administrators respond appropriately. Good School!

Posted March 20, 2012
This school is pretty good. I am a current freshman in the IB program at East Meck and I like it so far. It is definitely better than most schools and most of the teachers are extremely dedicated to making sure that we not only get promoted, but we graduate.

East Mecklenburg High 2

Posted May 21, 2011
I am disappointed so far with the education my daughter has received at East Meck. She is completing her sophomore year and I am shocked at the lack of homework my child has brought home in the past two years. Her grades are slightly above average with minimal effort because I don't believe they expect enough from their students. There are other issues I have as well with the school, like she only takes 4 classes per semester, but I believe those are CMS issues and not the school's. If you can send your child to another school- or even to a private school- I highly recommend it.

Posted June 15, 2010
I have a daughter who graduated last year from East and received a good education and got into all of her choice colleges. I also have a rising junior in the IB program at East. As with any public school, you may be dissatisfied with one or two teachers. But overall you won't find a more caring staff. The students are very accepting. I think East is a special place where there is no "in group" of students. The new Principal, Mr. Parker, is very energetic. East has a IB program and will soon be an Academy of Engineering school. It has a lot to offer.

Posted October 05, 2009
We are on our 6th year of a kid at East Meck - and we remain happy with every aspect of the school. Teachers and administrators are great - people who work here want to be here. Student population is a great diverse group - an important aspect that we were looking for in a school. Our two children have had chosen completely different paths at school - and both have been successful.

Posted October 03, 2009
dedicated teachers, great academics, positive attitudes always

East Mecklenburg High 3

Posted September 15, 2009

Posted January 26, 2009
My daughter graduated from East in 2007. She was neither an AP student or a trouble maker. She was an average student and disappeared among the staff and administration. No on knew her name because she did not cause trouble or make the school 'great' with her academic achievements. She was constantly bullied and called names to which administration's reply was 'we can't stop it!' Would I ever recommend this school - no way! Am I glad my daughter is out of this school - absolutely! My daughter volunteered numerous hours in the community and at her church. She made the school better because of her attendance there. Yet she was invisible to those in charge!

Posted October 31, 2008
As a parent, I wish I had trusted a research-based evaluation of this school. It is easy to fall victim to a small group of virulent PR experts working hard to 'put lipstick on a pig'. My earlier review of the school was not posted, but it is a great school system but without choices in high schools. I should have looked at the numbers before sending my children to East. A very small PTA; over 30% of kids dropouts; very small number of kids taking AP TESTS; very small number of parents involved- all homogenous, and alot of whom are related. Look at the number of kids from nearby who go to private schools... there are alot; communication with parents is not encouraged- they think the kids should just sink or swim. Fine if your never sinks.

East Mecklenburg High
6800 Monroe Road, Charlotte, NC  28212
Last modified East Mecklenburg High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Mecklenburg High Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews.