Posted March 31, 2014
Independence High School is a work in progress. The Principle is very capable and has made significant strides in improving the school from top to bottom. I expect to see the GreatSchools Rating rising steadily.

Independence High 2

Posted August 26, 2013
I currently attend this school and it is horrible. They have told us the school is not only infested with bugs, but also MICE. Many teachers don't care about if the students understand the information being taught. The administration has always been rude to me personally. The environment does not feel safe because there are so many rough kids. Overall independence is NOT a good school.

Posted July 17, 2011
I graduated from The Big I way back in 1970. It is a wonderful school and always has been. Times change and students in Charlotte-Meck sometimes have to travel a long way to school. This is a very diverse student body. There are a lot of teachers there who graduated from Independence and that should speak volumes As times change everyone has to adjust. Overcrowding occurs and new schools are built. Sometimes that splits up friends, but Independence has always seemed to come out at or near the top. The football team is coming back. They were undefeathed for many years (7 to be exact) and both of my children went there. I am glad to say we are alumnus of The Big I.

Independence High 1

Posted June 15, 2010
this is a horrible school i went there and I'm happy that I'm leaving there and getting transfered. every time you call the school they will always transfer you to a voice mail as if the people in the front office don't know a thing. like they can't even answer the simplest questions. also when you leave a message you hardly ever get a call back. independence has brought too many many bad things to me and it was only my first year there.

Posted January 07, 2010
This School Is A Great School The Principle Is great. The teachers are great and the Safety of this Is school I great to I recommend It for parents who wanna enroll there kids In a high school

Posted January 06, 2010
I go to independence high school and this is my last year in high school! i have been going to independence since i was in the 9th grade and i loooovvvve this school! the teachers taught me so much that i have never knew! the best teachers at independence i think personally are mrs. lipp, mr. starnes, ms. lee, ms. currence, ms. apsega, ms. frank, ms. noto, and ms. davis even though she isnt teaching anymore! but other than that it is a great school and a safe one!!

Posted November 25, 2009

Independence High 0

Posted October 22, 2009

Independence High 4

Posted September 24, 2009
As a member of Independence Student Council I would say that this is a really grest school. We have our problems just as any school has. The student- body is really active in the community and has a lot of school- sprit. We currently have an over populated student body. However, by next year a new school will be compleated and more students will leave our general population. A school that typicly revoled around our great football team is now trying to become more active in other extracuricular activites. Overall Independence is a great, diverse school, and I'm proud to be a Patirot!

Posted June 29, 2009
Not only did I graduate from Independence, I cam back to teach there. The reputation of Independence has always been one of mediocre achievement...that is we've always been in the middle of the pack for test scores, etc. That is all changing. Four years ago they added the Academy of International Studies which is associated with The Asia Society and The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. And last year, our math scores (geometry) were second in the county (only behind Myers Park). There are fierce rivalries with nearby schools. They are mostly healthy but some of the rhetoric against Indy is fueled by the fact the our students are as affluence as nearby high schools...and we had an undefeated football team for 7 years straight. This is a great school staffed by some of the most talented and caring teachers you will ever find. Many teachers are alumni of Independence...that speaks volumes.

Independence High
1967 Patriot Drive, Charlotte, NC  28227
Last modified Independence High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Independence High Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews.