Newell Elementary 5

Posted May 29, 2011
What in the world?! Are these people writing school reviews on the same school that I went to? Newell is an amazing school and I miss it so much! When I first moved here from out of state, all of the kids were nice to me and I met a lot of new friends. Teachers want to teach. Of course not all of Newell's teachers are excellent, but then again, what schools have all excellent teachers? As I progressed at Newell, I was placed in TD or Talent Development, an academic program that the school offers. There's always lots of on-stage plays for students to enjoy. Lots of rewards for academic progress. One program at the school, AR (accelerated reading), was very fun for me because we had a racetrack around the school as we gained more and more points for reading books and answering questions. You got invited to a AR party in the gym for being far on the racetrack. You are also very involved with administration, too. Whenever I had a concern, the principal would ask me personally about it and help me with the situation. The principal had a relationship with all of the students, which helped us throughout grade school. Field trips were always the best, too. Newell is just full of memories!

Newell Elementary 1

Posted June 08, 2010
My son atteneded this school for one year and it has taken a full school year with an extremely great teacher and different school staff to get him back on track. He was not prepared or taught anything that he needed for him to pass the EOG for 4th grade. The office staff administrators and teachers are all there just for a paycheck. His teacher was not even a teacher she was in some program that has partnered with the CMS system. I also agree if this is your home school go magnet as we did or home school. Do not allow this school to damage your child educationally. This is onr of the schools in the CMS system that they really need to do a 100% overhaul from Principal to janitors!!

Newell Elementary 1

Posted April 21, 2010
If there was a rating below 1, this school would have gotten that rating from me. My recommendation is to home school if you have to, but keep your child away from this school. No one at the school cares about the children, and having my son there for the 6 months he has had to go has been a nightmare. I am so glad that next year he got into a different school......we would have moved to a different area otherwise. I guess if you don't care about your child's education or well-being, Newell is the school for you. Communication is non-existent without an act of God, and even when there is communication it is spotty. All the staff at that school (bus drivers included) should be fired for the way they act. (1-2 exceptions) Maybe with new staff, a new attitude, and some commitment, this school could improve. Maybe.

Newell Elementary 4

Posted May 06, 2009

Newell Elementary 4

Posted September 27, 2007
I am very involved in my child's education. I am able to provide my time to a variety of classes within the school and able to attend events (after school hours). So far, I am very happy that I decided on Newell and the principal is very involved in the welfare of each and every child. It's still early in the school year and I was able to establish a foundation a week before the first day of school. The K-grade level teachers are great and I am pleased to have meet and worked with a few of them during my volunteer time.

Newell Elementary 5

Posted September 26, 2007
My child was allowed to start school at 4. Curriculum created just for him. Principle, k5 and 1st grade teacher along with TD have worked hard on making sure they provide child with enough stimulation. I am so happy with the decision we made in enrolling him in Newell. I don't think he would receive the one on one attention he gets now anywhere else.

Newell Elementary 3

Posted July 18, 2007

Newell Elementary 0

Posted May 24, 2007
My son has only been attending this school for the first year and I find that the teachers are not compassionate. I also find that the classes are too big and the teachers have no patience with the kids. To me, its just their job and their hearts are not in it for the children. The principal lacks responsibility.

Newell Elementary 2

Posted February 05, 2007
In the beginning of the year the teachers and staff gave an illusion of being very involved & concerned but as the time progresses they continue to fall short of basic teacher duties like checking over class work. Since my child is neither bilingual or behavioral problem it seems my child is falling through the cracks. My child is continuously being made to suffer because of the other students and parents none compliance with the teachers instructions.

Newell Elementary 2

Posted October 02, 2003
From my experiencew, if your child does well academically and isn't a behavioral problem, they tend to be ignored. I prefer my child to be challenged, but the teachers are out of energy by then and can't be bothered. Very bland teacher spirit throughout. Plan to be a visible parent.

Newell Elementary
8601 Old Concord Road, Charlotte, NC  28213
Last modified Newell Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newell Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews.