Piedmont Open Ib Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 942 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 8, 2014

As a current senior in high school, I can say that the three years that I spent at Piedmont were priceless. Middle school is a time of change and self discovery. It is where you transition from a child into a young adult. I can say with full confidence that I would not be who I am today without this school. It is where in a seventh grade English class I discovered my passion for marketing, which I will be pursuing at college in the fall. It is where I not only made friends, but found a new family. It is where I was able to express myself as a lead in the musical production of Bye Bye Birdie. It is where I became the person that I am today. Four years removed and about to start an entirely new chapter of my life, its influence is all around me. I still get together with my best friends from Piedmont despite the fact that we go to four different high schools. I still sit in my IB Diploma Program World Literature class and think "that's a Milligan word". It is a part of me that I would never trade or change in any way. The experience of attending Piedmont Open Middle School is one that I feel unbelievably fortunate to have had.

Posted December 12, 2013

Be careful for one of the 7th grade math teacher there. She is uneffective and the majority of her students are failing her class. My child tells me storys on how the children in the chidren do not understand and she says "what is there to understand" when they asks questions. I've been to the principle and her boss with no resolution.

Posted December 9, 2013

As a Piedmont IB Middle School graduate, I can say that these three years I spent in there have been the best years I've had. Now, a Myers Park ninth grader I look back on how my middle school won all those awards, and accomplished each goal they put out. Piedmont excels in academics as well in sports. They have a great football program a great basketball program, and a great soccer program. But must of all, they have a great set of teachers and a great staff and faculty. Piedmont teachers care. They will get you on the right path to success.

Posted September 12, 2013

Piedmont truly is the most amazing school ever. I am an 8th grader currently and I'm in love with it. There is literally nothing wrong with Piedmont. The teachers are phenomena, lt takes learning to a whole new level. I am not the only one who thinks. We have one a ton of blue ribbon national awards recognizing Piedmont as a school of the NATION. If your child wants to get in my word of advice is that you can't slide by at Piedmont. We only take the best and we make the best. Piedmont is the best thing that has ever happened to me. They made this the best time of my life, I will never forget Piedmont

Posted August 18, 2013

This is a very rigorous school, which is what you want. I have had 4 kids attend this middle school and all of them came out of this school very well prepared for any high school in the state. Some parents who do not want there kids to have a very rigorous middle school program or who's child is not ready for this level of rigor sometimes have a hard time when their child is being challenged and their academic abilities are being stretched. I say stick with it, that's what school is all about , challenging a child and encouraging academic growth.

Posted August 13, 2013

Piedmont IB Middle is an amazing school. The IB program challenges students to think outside the box and to explore more. Academics is a big focus at Piedmont. The teachers are amazing and do their best to teach students in the most fun way. Piedmont exposes you to new things, good and bad. Piedmont also has an amazing Science Olympiad. Overall, I would recommend Piedmont to any middle schooler because it is the middle school to be at.

Posted October 31, 2012

I am a former student of Piedmont after changing school it is probably the best PUBLIC School you could got to especially for 7th grade however the learning is severely messed up by the population of students who cause trouble and misbehave.

Posted December 21, 2011

I am currently an 8th grader at piedmont and i have to say it is the best school ever. The teachers (shout out to Mr.Milligan, Mr.Reddig, Mr.Booth, and Mr. Parkins) are amazing and do there best to not only prepare you for life but offer you emotional and academic support in any class no matte what subject they teach. The administrators do a good job, and Ms.Delany (the counselor) is the best lady you could ever meet. She is very understanding and never judgemental. She is the most trustworthy person you could ever meet. Entering Piedmont I had many friends whom i had known since the 3rd grade and now i have many many more!! The diversity among the students has offered me many personal experiences in other cultures and not just the regular old page paper some schools might assign. I love Piedmont and i wish I would never have to leave!!! I have met my best friends here and conquered so many challenges here!! -Tierra F. (A Student)

Posted December 14, 2011

im not a student yet but im planning to be ! my bff goes there so im exited!

Posted June 9, 2010

I am an 8th grader and piedmont is the best school ever. I am leaving to go to high school, but i will never forget piedmont

Posted April 22, 2010

I absolutely love the IB curriculum and rigor that Piedmont IB Middle School provides for the students. I did not realize how beneficial this type of learning was until my oldest left Piedmont and went to a high school that was not IB. It was then that I saw how much of an advantage he had over his peers. So far, three of our four children have attended Piedmont with hopes that the fourth will make it in too. This school has the best faculty and staff that any parent or student could ever ask for. I hope they win the $20,000, it would help to ensure that this school continues to produce excellent students.

Posted October 29, 2009

I am a student (6th grade) currently attending Piedmont, and I think it is wonderful. All the teachers are nice and you learn everything. Piedmont Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted January 11, 2009

The school offers so many opportunities so succeed. I am now in highschool, and find myself missing many of the freedoms that we had in middle school. The students have the opportunity to gain the teachers' trust, and to gain more freedom. Shoutouts to Mrs. Witte, Mr. Reddig, and Mr. Parkins. They are amazing, and were so encouraging and really helped me learn a lot above and beyond the norm. -Katy

Posted May 3, 2008

I'm a seventh grader at this school and I love it. When I first came here in the 6th grade,I barely knew anybody but the people are friendly here and the teachers are really fun.

Posted November 29, 2007

I am a 1st time parent at Piedmont and I do love the school. We have had an unfortunate incident and it caused a little disappointment for a moment but with the help of the teachers, principal, counselor and staff everything was taking care of.Everyone enjoys teaching.

Posted November 14, 2007

I think that piedmont is one of the best schools I've ever been at. I was there for all three years after moving elementary schools twice in a year. my Piedmont classmates embraced me with open arms. students blend- there are almost no cliques. The administration is a little hard to deal with, especially since Ms. Gardner became principal. I'm a rising ninth grader but I still speak with people I became great friends with at piedmont. We always make plans to hang out, no matter where they live. Sometimes I wish I could have continued into high school with my POMS peers.

Posted January 15, 2007

In stead of the usual 'Piedmont is Great' review, i decided to actually talk about what happens within piedmont's walls. First off i have to say that the teachers are spectacular. At least 90% of the teachers can change your mind about their subject in the first month of their class. The same goes for parent involvement and extracurricular programs: Excellent. However, there is a catch to this otherwise spectaular school: the administrators. They are certainly not all bad. They are excellent when they are administrating. That is, before they actually start dealing with the students. They have a semi-impenatrable 'Everything is Perfect' attitude that makes a bullied child need to expend more effort to get the administrators to make an investigation than to avoid the bully or deal with them in there own way. There would be fewer fights if Piedmonts administration were to look farther that their reputation.

Posted July 3, 2006

I'm a rising 9th grader, and I must say, Piedmont is awesome. The teachers are wonderful, and they know exactly how to solve every problem you might have, and how to make the classes more challenging, and fun! The school is also like a huge loving family, if somethin bad happens, everyone reaches out to lend a hand. I personally saying absolutly loved my years at Piedmont, and I will never forget the connections I made there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 27, 2006

I go to Piedmont Middle School not and I'mm a rising 7th grader. I didn't know anybody that went to Piedmont but by the end of the year I had a million friends to love. My best friend told me that she loves Piedmont and you know what....I do too! This year I hope to do the great sports at Piedmont.

Posted June 13, 2006

I am a rising 8th grader at Piedmont and I can not wait to go back to school. I am so excited to meet all the wonderful 8th grade teachers everyone loves. both my brother and I went/attend the school and love(d)it! - Meghan

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

327 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

327 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

324 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

324 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

All Students64%

Proficient in English70%
Non-migrant70%
Academically gifted94%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

All Students63%

Proficient in English82%
Non-migrant82%
Academically gifted-95%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

-95%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

n/a
English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 44%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• (980) 343-5557

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options