Randolph Middle 3

Posted May 30, 2014
This school is not that impressive. The principal is unresponsive. Teachers lose work constantly. And ironically, there are so many fights. Many teachers don't care about their students actually learning. In my sons science class, half the students were failing. If half the students are failing, perhaps it's the teacher (and not students). After two years, I am very disappointed!

Posted May 11, 2014
I appreciate that this is one of the most of the most if not the most diverse school in CMS. As a white male student, I find myself a minority among Asian and Hispanic groups, a ratio unmatched among other schools. I find myself looking at the other reviews for the school, and notice that most of the negative reviews criticize the lack of student challenge, and the topic of bullying. I find that these Critics have not seen all the resources Randolph has to offer. First off, Randolph offers many different levels of education. Opportunities like the Horizons program are designed to challenge students doing Advanced High School Math. Even if your child isn't that quick of a learner, there are 3 levels of honors education and a Talent Development Coordinator to help your child find his/her level of class. And for the topic of bullying, there is a full-time employed Dean of Students at Randolph in which the students can report instances of Bullying. There are anti-bullying posters lining the walls, and from personal experience, almost every bully that gets caught will get punished quickly and severely. I suggest Randolph to any parent looking for a high-class education for their child.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 10, 2014
Randolph is undoubtedly the best school in CMS for students looking for a challenge. Our son found that he could not only challenge himself, but also excel and choose his style and speed of learning. All the staff and teachers are very friendly, and I guarantee that young scholars will find this school a blast. They just didn't have this type of education when I went through school.

Posted March 03, 2014
My son attends this school. Initially, I thought this school was a good school, with good teachers. However, I realized that the Principal doesn't return or address issues. Equally important is that if a child has an extended absence, the school is extremely unorganized. My son had pneumonia and was hospitalized, upon his return, the school did not organize his classes to help him get up to speed. Instead, the teachers left my son to teach the material himself. Most teachers don't care, and Ms. Mesner does not return calls.

Posted October 23, 2013
Randolph Middle School is a great school. Our first child went to another CMS middle school, and our last two are at RMS. Difference between the two schools is like night and day. At Randolph, my children are pushed and challenged like my eldest never was in middle school by teachers who encourage the kids to be global thinkers. Last year in French class, one of my kids skyped and blogged with a class in Canada. My other child blogged with a school in England. These are exactly the cultural experiences my husband and I were looking for when we were looking in to the IB program. Is Randolph perfect? Of course not. Yes, the classes are larger than I would prefer, and yes some of my sons' teachers are stronger than others. But if you judge the program as a whole, I really feel it's a private school education at a public school. The test scores speak for themselves.

Posted February 03, 2013
Academically there doesn't appear to be any challenge at all and the school just seems "OK". I don't see any proof in the pudding as to what makes the IB curriculum anything special. I am the product of an IB curriculum and the education being provided at Randolph doesn't come close to the education I received. There's rarely enough homework sent home, as the children are allowed to complete their homework in class, yet its work that's assigned as "homework". Parent/Teacher communication has MUCH to be desired as well. My child has stated that it doesn't seem as though students outside of the Horizons program are pushed beyond the limits of the EOGs. Bullying is a HUGE issue as well. My child comes home with NUMEROUS stories of fights that have taken place and the bickering that goes back and forth during class. Where are the instructors when this goes on? Why does there seem to be such a lack of classroom control? It seems to me that there is a HUGE lack of supervision overall on the campus. I wouldn't recommend at all.

Posted January 22, 2013
My son attended 6th grade at Randolph, and we had to pull him out halfway through 7th grade. The bullying is unbelievable, and there isn't enough supervision or controls in place to restrict it - it's basically like an inner city school. The academic instruction is good, but nothing special, and in both 6th and 7th grade I'd say 50% of my son's teachers were really good, and the other half with average to poor - especially the electives teachers are very weak. The IB curriculum is overblown - we've had friends with children graduating full IB out of high school and it's done nothing in their college applications - an admissions officer even said that AP or Honors clases are weighted much heavier than IB. The school metrics are also deceiving. The school has a group of students in the Horizon's program (highly gifted kids) who bring up the performance metrics and distort the socio economic and racial mix. Once you take these kids out (as they basically live in their own area of the school), the school becomes no better than any inner city school. We know of at least two other families that have pulled their kids mid year out of 7th grade - so you can bet there's many more.

Posted August 03, 2011
My daughter attends Randolph and she and I absolutely LOVE it!!! The staff is EXCELLENT!!! The field trips are well thought out, fun and very educational. I wouldn't change her school even if we moved an hour away :)

Posted March 01, 2011
Great school as long as you do not question any teachers or try to talk to admin about what you percieve as a teacher problem.I mean really what could you know as a parent .You are no educator . I am sure there are plenty of good teachers there just don't believe 100 per cent sorry

Randolph Middle 0

Posted October 21, 2010
High achievers who have great expectations for the kids. Great global IB program that gives the kids a world perspective.

Randolph Middle
4400 Water Oak Road, Charlotte, NC  28211
Last modified Randolph Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Randolph Middle Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top