Details overview

School leader Angela Grant
District Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District
Transportation options Yes

Programs

Basic school information

Dress code Uniforms
Day or Boarding offered Day school
Coed/Single-gender Coed

Academic focus and philosophy

Academic themes / Areas of focus Humanities
Mathematics
Multiculturalism / Global
Science
Service learning
Social justice
Technology
Writing

Classes

1
Visual Arts
including: Drawing / Sketching
2
Music
including: Orchestra
Music Choir / Chorus
Orchestra
Visual arts Drawing / Sketching

Support

9
Facilities
including: Playground
Facilities Art room
Cafeteria
Computer lab
Garden / Greenhouse
Gym
Music room
Performance stage
Playground
Science lab
Extra learning resources Counseling
Differentiated learning programs
Gifted and talented programs
Tutoring
Special education program details The Exceptional Children's program at Winterfield Elementary school seeks to students with exceptionalities achieve at high levels in core academic subjects such as math, science, social studies and language arts. Our main goal is to support our Exceptional students in academic, so they can advance and become independently successful in their classrooms and ready for college and career after high school graduation.
Special education programs Inclusive classroom
Special education resource room
English Language Learner program details The English as a Second Language (ESL) program at Winterfield Elementary school seeks to help English language learners (ELL) attain English proficiency and achieve at high levels in core academic subjects such as math, science, social studies and language arts. Our main goal is to support our ELL students in academic and language skills, so they can advance and become independently successful in their classrooms and ready for college and career after high school graduation.
English Language Learner programs Integrated group classrooms
Push-in model

Dig deeper


Students

Student diversity

  This school State average
Hispanic 54% 14%
Black 35% 26%
Asian 6% 3%
White 4% 50%
Two or more races 1% 4%
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 1%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0% 0%
Source: See notes

Students by group

  This school State average
Female 48% 48%
Male 52% 50%
Students participating in a free or reduced-price lunch program 94% N/A
Source: See notes

Extracurriculars

2
Girls Sports
including: Cross country
2
Boys Sports
including: Cross country
Girls sports Cross country
Soccer
Boys sports Cross country
Soccer

Culture

Parent involvement Attend parent nights
Chaperone school trips
Join PTO / PTA
Monitor the playground
Serve on school improvement team or governance council
Tutor
Volunteer in the classroom
Students typically continue on to these schools Eastway Middle
Parent involvement details Communication between school and home regarding a child's progress is vital. To help facilitate this communication Winterfield uses several strategies: weekly connect-ed phone messages, a monthly parent calendar, weekly take home folders, and Parent Square. ParentSquare helps WES reach and engage very parent with automated email, text and app alerts, language translation, and 24/7 access.

Teachers

11
Staff
including: Speech therapist(s)
Staff Assistant principal
Behavioral health specialist
Educational diagnostician
ELL / ESL Coordinator
Reading specialist
School counselor
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech therapist(s)
Teacher aide / assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
World languages spoken by staff Arabic
Hmong
Spanish
Staff details We have highly effective teachers in our building. In 2014-2015, 68% of teachers exceeded student growth expectations and the remaining 32% met student growth expectations. Ms. Best, 5th grade teacher, was selected as the Northeast Garinger and Vance Learning Community Teacher of the Year.

Neighborhood

Transportation options Buses / vans provided for students

Enrollment

Ways to enroll/attend this school Live in the attendance zone

Sources

Student diversity NCES, 2013-2014
Students by group NCES, 2013-2014