Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Providence continues to care more about its test scores and the way it looks on paper rather than the individual students. This proves why we have mental health problems in America, because they turn the other cheek in every situation. This also proves why we are poorly educated compared to other countries, because all they teach you to do is memorize, not learn and understand the material. If you don't understand the material, they shun you. If you do get a's that still isn't good enough. Teachers choose favorites or do not teach at all. Don't get me wrong, there's a few outstanding teachers here (Ms. Smith for English, Mr. Cawthon for World Hisotry and Mr. Townsend for psychology) but for the most part the administration lacks the care children need during this part of their lives and does not educate the children on the real world in any way.

Providence is a great school so far (I am in my freshman year). The clubs, sports, extracurricular activities are awesome. The teachers care about you and help you succeed but I feel as if I am under pressure with the amount of work. Not all the teachers are very good (some are exceptional). The homework given is incredible and I do not think it is necessary at all. I feel like it is too much sometimes. I really want to be able to do other stuff but the workload is great sometimes.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

They were not effective in teaching academics, respect, compassion or ethics. They were effective in teaching what lack of common sense looks like, how to deal with adults behaving poorly, how to not have to use the restroom, and how to be treated like you aren't worth anything

Amount of homework: Disagree

Ridiculous amounts of homework to makeup for the lack of instruction in the classroom. We spent $100's every month on tutoring as did a lot of the successful students

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The only thing this school develops is anxiety and depression. We knew it was bad when our kids where there but now that they are at a good school we can DEFINATELY tell the difference

We pulled our second daughter out of this, "school" and I use the term lightly, her sophmore year. One of my biggest regrets is that we didn't do this for our eldest as well. The negative comments you see about the administration are true. Don't think it will be different for you, it won't. The culture created by the admin of stress and non caring has trickled down to the teachers. I feel bad for them. If their work environment is half as bad as the learning environment I can see why the good ones leave. We spent hundreds of dollars a month for tutoring, as a lot of the successful students must do. My daughters freshmen year her science teacher was an administrator who had never taught a class before and then her sophmore year he was her psychology teacher. They assign ridiculous amounts of homework, I guess in hopes that they will figure out at home what they aren't taught in class. (Like I said $100's of dollars in tutoring every month) The music program was the only saving grace at this school, they recently had two of their main instructors leave so I'm not sure how it's doing now. Moving was the best decision, I just wish we had done it sooner. This schools reputation of being unnecessarily rude, lack of common sense and non caring precedes itself. Other admins of other schools shake their heads as well. Lucky for us the school my daughter is in now was also aware of PHS shortcomings and they have made it clear to my child that she is worthy of being treated properly, and taught. They even let her go to the bathroom if she needs to, IMAGINE THAT!!!!! She is a straight A student and will be well prepared for college while actually having a few fun High School memories. If I could rate this school with zero stars I would, one is too many.

We are new to this school. My child is a freshman. Thus far I can see exactly what other people have said about this school. The administration is horrible. The front office staff is clearly irritated when someone walks in and needs assistance and they have their conversation about pinterest interrupted. If they were my staff they would've been fired a long time ago. I've asked for return phone calls and received nothing. I've been spoken to in such a demeaning derogatory way - it's really quite astounding. The staff behavior - I've found to be completely unacceptable. Some of the teachers seem ok, not outstanding or impressive by any means. My child has ridiculous amount of homework daily and over the weekends, leaving no time at all for family. The kids have no manners and act entitled, which is not the school's fault but the parents fault - just saying this is the type of kids I've encountered so far. Overall, I'm very disappointed.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Way way way too much homework! Its hard to tell if teachers think that a student shows up for their one class every day! They could be considerate and understand that these kids have families to spend time with!

Tracey Harrill is driving this school into the side of a mountain! She inherited a great school amd has turned into a stress powerhouse! Everyone raves about PHS test scores well explain how Marvin Ridge is ranked so much higher than providence is yet they dont have an ego problem or a test score epidemic! This school has caused me more mental pain than anything i have every expierienced and it is not worth your effort! If it isn't Tracey's way, its wrong. If its not making the school money, she doesn't care! This schools takes every bit of fun and enjoyment out of a high school experience! They don't understand that every student is going to a typical 4-year college. They build every aspect of their school to where it makes you feel like a failure! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL!!! save some tax dollars and move to the Marvin Ridge school district!

I am a former parent at this school as well as being a former substitute teacher with a Master's Degree and an alternative certification in teaching from another state. I moved to the south Charlotte area, some 45 minutes from my studio, to ensure my last 2 children would receive a quality education in the CMS school system. My older 3 children had been educated at some of the best private schools in the South East and had managed to earn scholarships to Hampden Sydney, Penn State and the College of Charleston....that being said, I have to agree with most of the postings on this site. I found the administrators' to be rigid, inflexible and more concerned about their "standards" and maintaining their scores than educating . I finally pulled my sophomore (top 10% of his class) out after watching his mental health take an unexpected turn...He was stressed and felt like a failure. Since that time, my 17 year old is a senior, with a full scholarship to the University of South Carolina, Ms. Harrill and the the guidance dept at Providence have no business educating in the Public School System.

Last modified Providence High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.