Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted April 04, 2016
Providence continues to care more about its test scores and the way it looks on paper rather than the individual students. This proves why we have mental health problems in America, because they turn the other cheek in every situation. This also proves why we are poorly educated compared to other countries, because all they teach you to do is memorize, not learn and understand the material. If you don't understand the material, they shun you. If you do get a's that still isn't good enough. Teachers choose favorites or do not teach at all. Don't get me wrong, there's a few outstanding teachers here (Ms. Smith for English, Mr. Cawthon for World Hisotry and Mr. Townsend for psychology) but for the most part the administration lacks the care children need during this part of their lives and does not educate the children on the real world in any way.

Providence High 3

Posted January 02, 2016
Providence is a great school so far (I am in my freshman year). The clubs, sports, extracurricular activities are awesome. The teachers care about you and help you succeed but I feel as if I am under pressure with the amount of work. Not all the teachers are very good (some are exceptional). The homework given is incredible and I do not think it is necessary at all. I feel like it is too much sometimes. I really want to be able to do other stuff but the workload is great sometimes.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted December 14, 2015
They were not effective in teaching academics, respect, compassion or ethics. They were effective in teaching what lack of common sense looks like, how to deal with adults behaving poorly, how to not have to use the restroom, and how to be treated like you aren't worth anything

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted December 14, 2015
Ridiculous amounts of homework to makeup for the lack of instruction in the classroom. We spent $100's every month on tutoring as did a lot of the successful students

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted December 14, 2015
This school develops low self esteem, it did however teach my child how to deal with adults that behave poorly.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted December 14, 2015
PHS rules by fear. They are developing fear in the kids to get them to behave the way they expect. They are not learning respect. I teach my child about respect.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted December 14, 2015
No because all the kids can think about is how much homework they have, that they better not have to use the restroom and when are they getting out of there

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted December 14, 2015
The only thing this school develops is anxiety and depression. We knew it was bad when our kids where there but now that they are at a good school we can DEFINATELY tell the difference

Posted December 14, 2015
We pulled our second daughter out of this, "school" and I use the term lightly, her sophmore year. One of my biggest regrets is that we didn't do this for our eldest as well. The negative comments you see about the administration are true. Don't think it will be different for you, it won't. The culture created by the admin of stress and non caring has trickled down to the teachers. I feel bad for them. If their work environment is half as bad as the learning environment I can see why the good ones leave. We spent hundreds of dollars a month for tutoring, as a lot of the successful students must do. My daughters freshmen year her science teacher was an administrator who had never taught a class before and then her sophmore year he was her psychology teacher. They assign ridiculous amounts of homework, I guess in hopes that they will figure out at home what they aren't taught in class. (Like I said $100's of dollars in tutoring every month) The music program was the only saving grace at this school, they recently had two of their main instructors leave so I'm not sure how it's doing now. Moving was the best decision, I just wish we had done it sooner. This schools reputation of being unnecessarily rude, lack of common sense and non caring precedes itself. Other admins of other schools shake their heads as well. Lucky for us the school my daughter is in now was also aware of PHS shortcomings and they have made it clear to my child that she is worthy of being treated properly, and taught. They even let her go to the bathroom if she needs to, IMAGINE THAT!!!!! She is a straight A student and will be well prepared for college while actually having a few fun High School memories. If I could rate this school with zero stars I would, one is too many.

Posted October 24, 2015
We are new to this school. My child is a freshman. Thus far I can see exactly what other people have said about this school. The administration is horrible. The front office staff is clearly irritated when someone walks in and needs assistance and they have their conversation about pinterest interrupted. If they were my staff they would've been fired a long time ago. I've asked for return phone calls and received nothing. I've been spoken to in such a demeaning derogatory way - it's really quite astounding. The staff behavior - I've found to be completely unacceptable. Some of the teachers seem ok, not outstanding or impressive by any means. My child has ridiculous amount of homework daily and over the weekends, leaving no time at all for family. The kids have no manners and act entitled, which is not the school's fault but the parents fault - just saying this is the type of kids I've encountered so far. Overall, I'm very disappointed.

1800 Pinevillematthews Rd, Charlotte, NC  28270
Last modified Providence High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.