Posted June 19, 2014
My daughter attended West Mecklenburg as a freshman and sophomore. I got a new job in the South Charlotte area, which means she had to transfer to Providence. Considering it seemed to be a better environmental area, I was hoping Providence could be even better. It was an awful experience. My daughter was constantly bullied physically, her iPhone stolen, and administration looked the other way about all of it. I have learned that the South Charlotte area, and this school are NOT better environmental areas. If you are not a white, rich, and over-achieving person everyone is expected to be, you are looked down by many. Although West Meck had a bad reputation, it was a wonderful school and so was our apartment. Never judge what the majority say, usually it is not true.

Posted April 28, 2014
On the surface this school looks great, but the reality is very different! Everything you see in the other posts about the school being inflexible is true. The administration is a nightmare to deal with. The teachers think they are great, but the truth is they aren't very good and they don't deserve to receive the credit for the high scores that come out of the school. (The high scores are tied to the socio economics of the school. The students come into the school already smarter than most, the school does little to contribute to their ability. In fact, if anything, the school hurts many students because they really don' teach, they just assign a heavy workload. Students hire tutors to learn the material.) The school district administration has not come down on the school because the test scores are so good, but really, this place needs to be overhauled so that these wonderful students get a better education and actually enjoy their high school experience.!

Providence High 4

Posted April 03, 2014
This school is fine as long as you start here freshman or sophomore year. Junior year is intense, but if you have been at Providence since freshmen or sophomore year , you will be able to adjust to the workload because it gets gradually harder every year. This school is not as bad as the comments are suggesting. It is actually a great school, which offers many great classes that would not be offered elsewhere. It does have a few issues though: it is not very diverse(at all) and a handful of the teachers are horrible and lazy.

Providence High 5

Posted February 18, 2014
Providence is a great and challenging school. It's not easy but it is worth it. The teachers and administration are always willing to help and guide my children. There is a TON of extracurricular activities for any student from athletics to fine arts to academics. There are the "normal" high school things that go on but the administration handles any such things immediately, effectively, and fair. It's a good feeling that I always know my children are safe, cared for, and well educated.

Posted February 18, 2014
Update: This school epitomizes what is WRONG with the US free public education system. Long story short, my child was pigeon-holed as a low performer, failed twice by a teacher in a subject both his father and I are well versed in teaching on a University level. Our child had self esteem issues stemming from his attendance at this poor institution. Our child was at risk of not graduating from High School. Today, after a new school and some amazing administrators at his new school, our son is not only on the A honor roll, but has been invited to attend 4 prestigious NC Colleges, in addition to an invitation into a nationally recognized honors organization for High School Seniors. Follow your gut when it comes to your children and do not let any so call professional pigeon hole your child's future for ANY reason!

Posted January 28, 2014
FINALLY removed my child from this school after 2 years of empty promises and a facade of caring administrators. Been in a new school for 2 semesters and love it. Have a new found faith in education and can't express how much happier and production my child is. If you are considering PHS, words of advice; if your child is naturally a high academic performer you should be OK, the administration caters to these students. In fact they rely on them to pad their performance reviews. However if your child is an average student looking for a nurturing environment or you are looking for a 'family' oriented experience, this is not the place for you.

Posted January 03, 2014
I graduated here I'm 2011. If you are even I'm the slightest thinking about putting your child in this school run far! I transferred in my sophomore year and was in the top 10% of my old school. Once I got here I was struggling to maintain B's in my classes. The school only teaches you how to take scantron tests and write and produce a "senior graduation project." Their high "test scores" just come from their training you how to memorize information for a test not understand it or use it. Kids here are the worst and are not friendly at all! If you don't make strighy A's or your parents don't spend a bunch of money your considered mentally disabled in the schools eyes. I went to the school I wanted to get into for college but I still regret going to this school and I have never once returned.

Providence High 3

Posted November 23, 2013
We are moving to NC! We need information about neighborhood, bullies, and social life around the area.

Posted November 19, 2013
I graduated from Providence High School in 2011 and I never want to go back. The place is straight out of "The Hunger Games." The teachers encourage a cutthroat atmosphere from day one. Students are left to sink or swim in the academic environment with little aid from the staff. Those who are at the top of their class become the "chosen ones" and everyone else is cast away. Many teachers (especially those who teach AP) are extremely unprofessional and see themselves as "college drill sergeants." One has to wonder why they would teach high school instead of college if they're so intelligent, but I'll let you figure that one out for yourself (hint: they're not). One teacher told my parents that students do not earn A's in AP courses because high school students can't get A's in college courses. I am now a junior at a prestigious university, earning my accounting degree and a year away from being commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Army. Needless to say, the stories about certain failure if you didn't have a 4.5 GPA were utter bull. Do not send your child to Providence High School if you want them to receive a good education in a professional and respectful environment.

Posted October 18, 2013
The teachers are awful and do not care about student sucess. THe administators are even worse! The only reason I am giving it one star is beacause I can not give it ZERO!!! They only care about you if you are the top 25 in your class otherwise they consider you dumb. The student population is not diverse and teachers try to make you fail. Please if you are considering schools for your children do NOT send them here they will only fail!

Providence High
1800 Pineville-Matthews Road, Charlotte, NC  28270
Last modified Providence High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Providence High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 63 reviews.