Bad
Good

My daughter started kindergarten last year and has graduated to the first grade. What she has learned from K is amazing. She is reading, writing, I am amazed she can do all that at her age. I don't recall reading when I was in kindergarten.

I was hesitant to enroll my son here because of low rating, but we didn't have any other option . It has turned out to be a great school! ALL of the staff have been nothing but nice. They always take care of my sons needs and Especially Miss Sankary is very supportive person who was the Class Teacher for my son. They run a very tight ship at Hornets Nest. My son is in first grade, and he has no complaints about being at this school and he learned lot of good things. Thank you for Great Teaching!!!!!

So I think this school gets a bad rap when you look at the ratings given by the state. I was slightly worried but when you look at the schools previous ratings prior to when NC changed how often and what kind of testing is done, the ratings were better. We've had a great experience so far this year. My daughter was enrolled in kindergarten and her teacher Mrs. Tucker has been wonderful. I've had limited interaction with the principal but she's alway been very friendly when I have spoken to her. The front office is helpful and so are the staff who help with those kids who are car riders. I can't rate other teachers or experiences with riding the bus.

I was hesitant to enroll my son here, since we are in the complete minority and the ratings, but we didn't have any other option. It has turned out to be a great school! ALL of the staff have been nothing but nice. They stand in the halls and say "hello" to everyone who walks by, and the principal is very visible and approachable. They run a very tight ship at Hornets Nest. My son is in first grade, and he has no complaints about being at this school. I do sometimes question if he is learning as much as he was at his old school, but his reading and math skills are still progressing, so they're doing something right! We have only been here for 'almost' 2 months, but NO complaints so far.

"Diamond in the Rough" I was in a bind and had to pull my daughter out of private school to our assigned school (Hornets Nest). Was very concerned, but did not have a choice. This school turned out to be much better than my daughter's private school! The teachers are caring and very dedicated. They are also very responsive to emails and concerns. The school has a high poverty rate, which dampers it reputation. A fair amount of the middle and upper class parents within the boundary send their schools to private school. However, I am confident that if this school had more parental involvement and more kids attending their neighborhood school vs. private school. Hornet s Nest would be among the top!

Poor overall! I would not send an animal to this school! My family had a bad experience with several teachers and the principal was always clueless and never available.

I HAVE 1 CHILD AT THIS SCHOOL IN THE SECOND GRADE & HIS KINDERGARDEN YEAR HE HAD SUB TEACHERS HALF OF THE YEAR, DIFFERENT TEACHERS ALMOST EVERY WEEK! NOW HE IS IN SECOND GRADE & GUESS WHAT A SUB TEACHER...... HIS TEACHER WILL BE BACK IN JAN.! I WALKED HIM IN HIS FIRST DAY, WE NEVER EVEN GOT SO MUCH AS A HELLO FROM HER! SHE NEVER EVEN LOOKED OUR WAY! NO SMILE, NO GOOD MORNING! SECOND DAY SAMETHING! TEACHERS SHOULD MAKE A CHILD WELCOME IN THERE CLASS ROOM & WANT TO COME TO SCHOOL & LEARN!!!! NOT FEEL LIKE THEY ARE UNWATED!! MY HUSBAND & I ARE NOW LOOKING FOR ANOTHER SCHOOL, MY CHILD WILL NOT BE TREATED THIS WAY!!!! I AM A VERY UNHAPPY PARENT :(

i think that this school is wounderful and that it's not only the teachers but the parents that needs to be involved in what goes on at their kids school and with their education

This is the worst school that my child has ever been in. It has the worst supervision from school personel that I have ever seen. The school seems to think that bully's are fine as long as there is an excuse it's ok to harm another child . The principal never has time for concerned parents. Bully's are not disciplined for there abusive behavior.

My son is currently in second grade and I have had several problems with the school. My child has had three different classroom teachers this year alone! I find them extremely disorganized and working amid chaos. I am also dissatisfied with the curriculum. I am removing my son ASAP.The administration is friendly and willing to help.

Last modified Hornets Nest Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.