Charlotte, NC
Students enrolled: 1,690

Posted August 17, 2013
Vance High School is changing for the better (at a slow pace I admit) but the communities are still trying to keep stereotypes and rumors alive without any evidence. The school is becoming a place where students are still to take control over their education and their lives.

Posted February 03, 2013
I love Vance high school I love my school . There isn't anything wrong with Vance . It's just that students come just to come with out any care about others time or education . Not only that but it's who you hang around and who you know. If you come to school to learn and do what you are told then you should fine. It's all up to you ,!!!!!! In high school they teach you life lessons and that is exactly what Vance is teaching me

Posted March 14, 2012
Vance is a great school. People shouldn't listen to rumors - come and Che k the school out for yourself. I am a teacher at Vance and we have good leadership now that focuses on instruction. There are high standards for students and faculty that cares. Vance is finally becoming the school it was meant to be!

Zebulon B Vance High 1

Posted March 03, 2011
Vance's recent change in leadership has driven the majority of the "Rockstar" instructors away. Vance embraces "Minimum Grades", meaning, students can't earn lower than a 50%. . Administrators above the new principal say that, "Grading is at the principal's discretion...." These practices are not common knowledge. She has also rearranged the teachers, experienced / high performing teachers are placed with the lower performing students and vice versa. In some cases, advanced students are not being taught enough to even pass the AP exams. Vance has spent more time breaking up fights and increasing its percentage of school arrests (a 663% increase according to the news from last year to now) this year. The only major thing that has changed is the leadership. We have written and conferenced with her and those above her and still no help.

Posted December 30, 2008
I am a senior at Vance and i love my school. i feel that vance can be a great school to thoese that make it great and get involved. i also feel that at any school a child can find bad things to do if he/she really wants to.

Posted January 22, 2008
I am a Vance parent and I think the school is great! My daughters are involved in the band program and here at Vance that is a very respected thing. The curriculum offered has something for everyone. They offer AP classes for those who want the challenge without being weighed down by the requirements at the IB programs offered elsewhere. The students that were taken out to attend a new high school are very much missing Vance and in fact want to come back 'home'. If that doesn't say everything I don't know what else will convince you that Vance is a great school!

Posted October 05, 2007
Vance High School is a great school Im a senior, and so far Ive been doing great. I love my teachers and peers. the adminstrative staff is incredible. Cauthen is a great principal! =]

Zebulon B Vance High 5

Posted December 18, 2006
I graduated from Vance in June of 2006. I started attending Vance as a sophmore and, coming from a private Chrisian school which I attended in my freshman year, I can honestly say Vance High school is a great school. The faculty that I came in contact with, whether it be acedemics, sports, clubs or other activities, were all friendly and helpful fully involved in what they did. I took Honors and AP classes which constantly challenged me to perform well in my high school career. I now am in my freshman year at NC State University and feel that Vance prepared me properly. Vance is an overall great school providing a welcoming community to its students which reach out into the community as the University City magazine does regular stories focused on Vance and its accomplishments that it makes through faculty or students. Ms.Rea and others are great people.

Posted April 13, 2006
As a sophomore this year [05-06] I feel that Vance is far from the lousy school it has been portrayed to be, but still needs a little ways to go. One thing I really like is the way the principal has handled getting the school's EOC grades up, but I also feel that in some ways this goal has been pursued in a highly ineffective fasion: the infamous 70/30 system. 60/40 would have been tough, 50/50 would have been fair, but I firmly believe 70% of your grade being tests, and homework accounting for only 30% is a bit harsh. One thing that seems to come up a lot in discussing Vance is the racial diversity. There is a wide array of races represented, but representation by percentage is grossly inequal. All my teacher's thus far have been wonderful, but I am chiefly in HN&AP classes, and cannot speak for the lower echelons.

Posted October 24, 2005
It is a shame how publicity has scarred the name of Vance. It is a fantastic school; while yes, I admit it has its problems, but so do all other CMS schools in the county. My daughter is currently a senior and taking plenty of AP classes. The teachers challenge her and educate her, I could ask for no more. Through their unwavering aid, she passed her AP exams and is now applying for great colleges and scholarships. Vance has made all this possible for her, and for this I am grateful. It provides its students with the top education and technology. It is up to the parents to convince their children to mack the best of Vance, its teachers, and resources,and it is up to the parent to remain actively involved in their child's life making sure they are doing their work and keeping up their grades!

7600 Ibm Drive, Charlotte, NC  28262
Last modified Zebulon B Vance High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Zebulon B Vance High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top