Public charter
Charlotte, NC

Community Charter School 4

Posted October 08, 2014
CCS is Charlotte's best kept charter school secret! You get a private school experience for a public school price tag! My daughter is in Kindergarten and we've thoroughly enjoyed our experience so far. The school is small- 1 class per grade, as a general rule, which really contributes to the family feel of the school. All of the teachers know each student and everyone is equally invested in ensuring that each child's needs are met. The principal, Ms. Miller, is excellent and works tirelessly to ensure the success of the school and the students. I applied to 2 other charter schools for the 2014-2015 school year- my child was wait-listed at both (like #400 out of 500 applicants!). I randomly found CCS and couldn't believe that there was not any competition to get into here! We love this school and are looking forward to watching it grow.

Community Charter School 4

Posted October 07, 2014
Community Charter is a great school that allows my children to express themselves and learn in a positive environment. I feel that my kids get to experience things including art, drama, music/band and recreation on a daily basis that they may not receive in a more traditional curriculum. CCS is very good about challenging each student to their full potential and making accommodations to make sure that is done. They promote complete parent involvement and I love that I can stop by the school anytime and I am welcomed and encouraged to help out with their classes and field trips.

Community Charter School 2

Posted March 05, 2012
At the beginning, (late 90s to 2010) this school probably was amazing. When we first began attending in 2010, we were so excited about arts integration and we really value the music and art teachers at CCS for all their enthusiasm and hard work. The two teachers we've had in 2011 and 2012 were good, but the administration, namely the School Board and School Manager (Principal) are poor communicators and seem to believe that they, along with a tiny group of active parents, can act with impunity in making wide-sweeping school changes without gaining the input of any of the other parents of the student body. As a parent it's hard to get involved when you feel like you are coming into a tightly knit clique of exclusionary people who don't make any reasonable attempts to communicate ideas, problems, and solutions to the parents as a whole, whether they can make it to every school board meeting or not. I remember the first time I signed up to volunteer and never got a call back. The precedent was set there and continued. There is no open dialogue between parents and principal. It's sad that such a great idea has been mismanaged, from the top down, so horribly in the past two years.

Community Charter School 5

Posted November 04, 2010
Community Charter sees the individual child, not the test score. They have done an amazing job accommodating my quirky son who is ahead of grade level in some subjects and struggles in others due to a learning disability. I really like the curriculum at Community. They encourage hands-on learning and the development of creative and critical thinking skills ahead of rote test taking skills and mindless compliance. If you are sick of the one-size-fits-all mentality of most traditional schools and want your child to really learn and grow, give Community look.

Community Charter School 2

Posted December 18, 2009

Posted November 05, 2009
Community Charter School teaches the child, not the test. Individuality is celebrated. Children are encouraged to explore.

Community Charter School 5

Posted October 09, 2009
this is the most amazing school .. my child goes to school wth a smile and comes home everyday with a smile he is exctied to go to school and upset to miss if he is sick, what parent could be any happier than have this happen with their childs experience in school. the school uses the community as a class room so they get to travel around the community and learn also while having community leaders come into theschool to teach lessons that apply to waht they are currently learning. the apply lessons into everything they do to the point where the children dont even feel that they are learning but they are learning massive amountf of information and being able to retain it since it is part of there everyday .. its amazing my son is learning soo much and he also has adhd and anxiety disorder which in a typically school setting he would be seperated and treated differently not here, he is thriving. also because the school has multigrade classrooms and work in small groups at times children dont feel as if they are working behind grade level or above it they just now they are working at their own pace. its amazing i could go on and on but this school is how all schools should be all though we struggle with fiancing and a veryold school building the children would never show that cause they are the product of an amazing educational experince .. its amazing i wish i could have attend as a child...

Posted October 06, 2009
It is a wonderful school that allows the children the freedom to create and to be themselves. I think it is a terrific place for kids to develop the mindset that will carry them through their lives.

Posted October 06, 2009
Great teachers, great parents, and a great learning environment for students!!!

Posted October 06, 2009
I love the student experiences and the focus on parental involvement.

Community Charter School
510 South Torrence Street, Charlotte, NC  28204
Last modified Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top