Posted June 26, 2014
I have two children, a freshman and a junior that have attended PDS since kindergarten. In my view there is not a better school for my my childrens' care and academics. It is rigorous, but with many academic levels to choose from. PDS IS quick to identify my childrens' social and acedemic challenges but then also to work with me to help my children. I refer to them as "my villagers". I am not "wealthy" but spend much of my discretionary income (admittedly with no financial aid) to provide the best possible education for my children. I am a working, single mother who cannot afford to "endow" the school with much more than tuition and have little time to volunteer at PDS. I am judged for neither by PDS. When disagreements occur with teachers or administrators, we've worked through them constructively for good mutual outcomes. There is genuine care and consideration for the child and the family at this school. PDS faculty and staff have been TOP NOTCH and I have never regretted the decision to get the very best education and care for my children, now 11 years into it at PDS. My kids are even bigger fans than I!

Posted June 12, 2014
PDS does indeed have low tolerance for learning disabilities in children. Ask some parents who actually have children in the lower school at PDS. Most children with learning disabilities are tagged and asked to leave the school. Be careful of the glowing reviews. More than likely their from the administrators of the school.

Posted June 02, 2014
In response to the parent that says PDS has no tolerance for learning disabilities this is flat out false. I went to Providence Day and I have a learning disability that makes it so I process information slower than other students. The teachers and administrators at the school made sure I got the attention I needed to succeed. In response to another post PD is diverse. PD tries to include all viewpoints and people. On the LGTBQ issue listed below I had multiple friends and teachers that identified with this community. Also PD is ACCEPTING of new students. On my first day of school people came to sit WITH me at a table because I was alone on my first day and I was elected class president less than a month after joining the school. Also PDS has a brilliant Global Studies program that tries to give students a more worldly view.

Posted April 25, 2014
Providence Day School provides outstanding academic, athletic, and cultural experiences TK-12. The leadership, teachers, staff, and coaches all truly care about the overall development of the children. The school is all on one campus with approximately 125 students per grade. Our experience with the school has been nothing short of exceptional. Ethics and code of conduct are first rate, the teachers are outstanding and passionate about learning. PDS has a very multicultural environment, and students excel because they use their gifts and talents to pursue their interests. Students have a voice - and recently a new upper school course was offered in building mobile apps due in part to student's desire to learn this technology. You can search for all the academic, cultural, and athletic awards over the school's 40+ year existence, of which there are plenty. In our opinion, PDS is a great place for your child to grow up, and receive the best education in town.

Posted April 14, 2014
PDS has almost zero tolerance for any kind of learning disorders or slow development in children. Even after your child has been accepted to the school, once there has been any learning issues discovered with your child, he/she will targeted by the lower school to get rid of and transferred to a different school. It is truly unbelievable. The majority of the lower school students are required to go to Speech therapy, OT therapy, or handwriting therapy because PDS thinks there are all of these issues with these children. Ask around before you drink the Koolaid of PDS. Not worth the money or the stress. Be forewarned.

Providence Day School 2

Posted December 06, 2013
I have gone to PDS for 9 years and I am very sad to say that it has not been a good experience. It is incredibly conservative in it's policies, and some of the teachers teach in a way that is more in line with conservative politics than actual facts. There is a mindblowing lack of diversity. PDS refuses to show support for LGBTQ+ students in fear of angry parents. The school is nauseatingly biased toward families that donate to the school. The math and science programs are very good, but it is almost not worth it due to the lack of diversity in race, sexuality, and class. It makes it hard to gain an accurate worldview when going to a school that is almost completely comprised of white, wealthy, conservative students.

Posted November 29, 2013
I have been a PDS student for 7 years. There is pretty much no diversity. Not to mention there is a lot of bullying and such that goes on, but unless you are directly involved with it, you would have no idea, and the school covers it up so nobody actually knows what's going on. The theater program used to be good, but it's been totally changed and now it's horrible. Some of the teachers are nice and good at teaching, some are just nice, and some of them aren't nice or good at teaching. There is a lack of parent-teacher communication, and teacher-student communication. The actual education is okay, but not really worth the money. The students who have wealthy parents who donate to the school can get away with anything. Please please don't send your child to this school.

Posted April 10, 2013
PDS clearly stated in their website that "Financial aid decisions and admission decisions are made by two different committees. Applying for financial aids does not in any way affect a candidate's selection For admission to PDS". Apparently this is NOT true!!! The associate admissions director is also the financial aid director. Our daughters are applying for 9th and 11th grade and both are truly academically outstanding with high GPA (A+ average), 99th percentile national test, PSAT as a Sophomore is qualified as a commended scholar, mature and well rounded students with leaderships and variety of talents and activities, outgoing and did well on the interviews with the Upper School Director. We were told that they are outstanding students and it's a lost for PDS for not able to offer admissions to our daughters because their Upper School is full. It is hard to believe that PDS can't make room for two outstanding students. Clearly, they won't make room because we applied for financial aid. The title of the person who made the decision is the Assistant Admission/ Financial Aid Director. They got accepted to two other prestigious schools. One thing PDS is right is it is their LOST!!!

Posted November 06, 2012
Our son had a hard time with private school testing coming from UCPS (which are good). He was a year behind academically but interviewed well. Enrollment came with the suggestion for a math tutor. A child can be lonely & unsure when starting in a new school. PDS assigns student mentors, class orientation events, and parent outreach for us, to help with the transition. Private schools can exceed the cost of a State University; the investment is worth it. Financial aid is available. PDS prides itself in diversity, sevice, & variety of activities. Students are encouraged to think for themselves, iniatiate clubs & projects. Staff is involved in a plethora intra & extra-curricular activities. Parents aren't forced to do anything, however if you are not engaged with your children, no matter where you go, it can hinder their development. We're amazed at the leaps our son displays every year. In academics: Went from average- honor roll- headmasters list, but most impressive is becoming a community & global thinker. MS Sports has a no cut policy so all kids can participate. Now he excels in HS athletics from school programs & his own initiatives. WE ARE GRATEFUL FOR PDS AND HIGHLY ENDORSE!

Posted October 11, 2012
PDS has been exceptional with working with us and my son, who had a difficult time learning to read. Other private schools in the area ask you to get private tutoring, which can really add up especially when you are already paying private school tuition. PDS implemented a program to help those children that didn't learn to read at the same rate and they understand that every child is different and will learn at their own pace. I would highly recommend PDS!!!! Both of my children have absolutely loved it.

Providence Day School
5800 Sardis Road, Charlotte, NC  28270
Last modified Providence Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Providence Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews.