Posted May 13, 2014
Charlotte Country Day has been a great school for my children. The teachers are wonderful and care deeply for the students. it is very challenging academically and there is some social pressure but the staff seems to have a good grasp on it except for Spirit Week - that experience can be improved. Athletics are great and Fine Arts continues to be improved.

Posted August 05, 2013
Charlotte Country Day is great. I agree that tutoring may be required if your kids are coming in from Charlotte Christian, Trinity or public school - those kids tend to struggle especially at first and some drop out which is too bad. The kids from Char Prep do seem to transition better. The advisory program for high school students at CCDS is effective and student/faculty safety is a priority - all of the classrooms have intercoms and alarms. Our kids have never had anything stolen and I have never heard of anything gone missing ever! Can't imagine sending my kids anywhere else. The administration is very approachable and are open to suggestions for improvement which makes for a very healthy environment. They even provide laundry service for team uniforms so you don't have to have those smelly things in your car! I agree it is important to do your homework especially if you are moving from out of town. There are a couple of schools that don't have great reputations (especially noted for poor sportsmanship and lackluster academics), and there are a few that do. Also, check out the class offerings and class size. It is worth every penny.

Posted July 09, 2013
The teachers and staff are incredible. There is a wonderful sense of community amongst parents and staff. The teachers are very responsive and are flexible with intentional students. Our son has graduated and he finally inquired about the tuition cost and then proceeded to thank me for sending him to Country Day. He has been incredibly prepared for college - especially for Spanish and Biology. It is pricey but worth it. If you are looking at private schools, interview many people and ask lots of questions. We also interviewed students and paid attention to their grammar and social skills. After doing this, the only other schools we considered were Charlotte Latin and Covenant Day School. CCDS is a school that is very highly thought of in the Charlotte community and this is important in a smaller city. Charlotte Country Day's location is very convenient to uptown neighborhoods and this was important to us as our kids are all driving now to school. The most difficult thing about Country Day (besides the curriculum - the high school is TOUGH - it is a hard school and there is a lot of work) is getting in! The wait is long for some grade levels - retention is very high.

Posted June 16, 2013
I am a parent with children in all three divisions, and I believe CCDS provides an outstanding and well rounded education that is worth every penny. My oldest was at the top of her class in public school but found CCDS to be much more challenging academically. It also gave her many more opportunities in athletics, community service, and art because CCDS is so much smaller; children can not get "lost", as they might in huge public school classes. The strong, involved faculty and highly motivated students really pushed her to do her best. College guidance provided valuable input at every step of the application process. My other children have had similar terrific experiences, made life-long friendships, and become better people because of the CCDS community. I highly recommend this school!

Posted February 09, 2013
I am a parent and can attest to the incredible academic environment this school provides our children at any age. The teachers are outstanding, course selection extensive (Upper School offers Honors, AP, and IP options, CCDS had the first IB program in NC). Country Day offers a rigorous academic environment combined with perks you just don't find elsewhere. Teachers want your children to succeed and encourage them along the way. Parents are extremely involved and there is a great feeling of family and community among everyone at the school. Country Day emphasizes character, honesty, integrity, athletics, and arts along with the academic standards. Kids are encouraged to do their best in all areas, and all skill-sets are appreciated. The college guidance department is outstanding and make the application process much less overwhelming. Each division does a wonderful job addressing the needs of the ages they serve. The faculty is hands-on and your son/daughter will find so many adult role models throughout their educational experience. I simply cannot say enough great things about Charlotte Country Day School!

Posted January 31, 2013
I am the parent of 2 children at CCDS in both the Middle School and the Lower School. I wish everyone looking at the school could get a deeper understanding and appreciation of the culture and community at CCDS. My children have thrived in this environment where character, community service, academics, athletics and the arts are woven seamlessly into the fabric of our school. Faculty and staff have done a tremendous job of meeting the needs of both of my children whose strengths and weaknesses could not be more different. The middle school campus is an absolute gem where the students are away from the pressures of being like Upper School students and can separate themselves from the structure of the Lower School and find more independence as they navigate adolescence. CCDS also does a phenomenal job with parent education and awareness offering workshops, coffees, etc on relevant topics to parents in each division. I could not be more pleased with our choice to send our children to CCDS and know that what they are learning here at Country Day, both academically and socially, will benefit them throughout the rest of their lives.

Posted December 11, 2012
During the enrollment process, the feeling of joy that I felt every time we visited Charlotte Country Day School resonated with me. Looking back, I think that sense of joy comes from being in a place where children are realizing their full potential, whether that means being a Rhodes scholar, a painter, singer, author, scientist, historian, or photographer. Whatever your child's passion is, at CCDS, it will be celebrated and developed into a skill they will cherish for their lifetime. It was important to me and my husband to choose a school for our children that had a strong fine and performing arts curriculum. We love the fact that at Charlotte Country Day School beginning in JK, the students have music and art classes, and even learn to perform infront of an audience. Tied into community service learning, the children visit local retirement communities and preform for the residents. The attention at CCDS not only to sports and academics, but also to the creative side of your child, is one of the main reasons we chose to enroll our children at Charlotte Country Day school.

Charlotte Country Day School 2

Posted May 22, 2012
My family has a long history of going to CCDS. My father and his older brother attended CCDS. My older brother graduated from Country Day. So it was natural for me to attend too. I started in JK. I was challenged, I was pushed to succeed, and I was surrounded by people I called friends. By 5th grade things went wrong. I began to be bullied by both boys and girls in my grade. As I entered Middle School I began to become closer to my teachers than to my peers as I was mocked and ostracized whenever I left the classroom. Finally in 7th grade I had too much. I had become depressed, verging on suicidal and I snapped. I yelled at a boy who threw a ball at me. I was taken into the office of our grade advisor, a teacher I respected and trusted. She told me it was a misunderstanding and made me apologize to the boy. I decided to leave CCDS. That summer my parents recieved a letter from my advisor who told me I wouldn't find anything better and would face the same in public school. I didn't. I loved it. CCDS has incredible athletics and academics, but the way the school treated me after my bullying soured the whole experience, and I am still to this day haunted by those last few years.

Posted January 25, 2012
Charlotte Country Day School has one main mission: encourage students to be the best they can be. To accomplish this mission, each teacher spends time really getting to know each child. I am amazed how well my son's teachers know both his positive and negative traits. Honor and discipline are always part of every class, which helps to develop trustworthy and hard-working future adults. CCDS has a winning formula. We are in our 12th year at Country Day. We are so excited about college being on the horizon, but leaving CCDS will be bitter-sweet.

Posted June 21, 2011
I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience at Charlotte Country Day School. I attribute a good share of my childhood development and college admission to the school, which in turn helped pave the way for my professional and personal development as an adult. Some of the best memories of my life were at that school, and I firmly believe that it is one of the best schools in the country. Some of the highlights I would point out: 1) High Quality Teaching Staff 2) Experiences/Opportunities that many children do not have 3) Fantastic facilities (sports and arts) 4) Focus on well-balanced student life and college admission

Charlotte Country Day School
1440 Carmel Road, Charlotte, NC  28226
Last modified Charlotte Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Charlotte Country Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews.