Mountain Island Day School

Private | PK-8 | 195 students

We are best known for small class size.

Student diversity

Living in Charlotte

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $117,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Sweep tile

Posted March 10, 2014

MID makes every child feel welcome! Every teacher and staff member, including administration, is to approach and talk to. This is one school where you don't have to feel like your bank account must meet a minimum requirement to to show your worth as a person.

Posted February 26, 2014

As a teacher and parent at MIDS, I feel that we ve found the perfect fit for our family. MID uses a well respected curriculum, including Scott Foresman Reading Street, Envision Math, Core Knowledge Science and Social Studies, Discipleland Bible Curriculum, Lucy Calkins writing components, as well as enrichment programs such as Mountain Math and Mountain Language. In addition we have knowledgeable teachers who bring their experience and creativity into the classroom to enhance the curriculum. We have a wonderful EC specialist on staff, and a teaching assistant who work with students one-on-one, or in small groups, on remediation and enrichment. Our small class sizes allow teachers to really know each child and their strengths, struggles, and interests. We also have an administration that makes every decision based on what will be best for the children whose education has been entrusted to them. If you re looking for a small school with a Christian foundation, MID is a great choice we couldn't be happier!

Posted February 26, 2014

My son was struggling at our local public middle school (a good school with good teachers) until I moved him to MIDS. He s quiet and doesn t always ask for help, so he tends to get overlooked in a large class. At MID he s in small classes, so he's not getting lost in the shuffle with almost 30 kids in his class. We have great communication with his teachers, and always get a response to phone calls or emails. His grades have improved and he's made many new friends. He feels good about the middle school getting to go out into the community to serve others (this school doesn't just teach from a Christian perspective, they live it out). He's also involved in the sports program, and while his team doesn't always win, he s learned great lessons about what it means to be part of a team, and good sportsmanship. I m also very excited about the plans to build a new school building, which will only add to an already wonderful school. We're very happy at MIDS!

Posted February 26, 2014

Thank you to the administration, teachers(especially middle school), and parents of MID for allowing my children to be a part of the Loaves and Fishes Food Drive! My girls came home from school excited and talking about what Pastor Tom taught them in their Chapel lesson and how it related to our donations. Just for fun, I asked each of them to tell me if they could find anything in common with what they were learning in each subject and the food drive. Immediately, they were creating math word problems, planning science experiments, and writing stories about families that received the donations. This is what learning is all about! We love our school!!!

Posted February 18, 2014

Small classes, caring and attentive teachers, Christian values and a home like atmosphere is what drew us to Mountain Island Day. Our family has found what we couldn't get at public school. Foreign language in elementary, plenty of recess time, gardening and after school clubs are just a few of the things that set Mountain Island Day apart from the rest!

Posted February 18, 2014

The administration never speaks unless they need something from you and it appears that they mistreat their staff, which tells you something about the high turnover rate! There is a lack in communication and lack of services. Seems like a big show with no substance. I had my child tested for next year and they are way behind. I am having to pay a private tutor to catch them up. Please do not send your child here! Go to a public school where you don't pay and your child will get the education they deserve! Will not be back next year!

Posted February 17, 2014

I have 2 children who attend MID. We tried public school but the class sizes were way too big and neither of my children got the attention they needed. Both of my kids are in classes with fewer than 15 students! The school is a small environment and feels very much like a community. They are very accommodating to both of my kids when they need help in any areas and they also challenge them when they excel in others. The tuition is very affordable.

Posted February 17, 2014

I am a teacher at Mountain Island Day School. I have worked with the North Carolina Public School System as well as in the Private School sector for many years. This school is a rare gem, as it not only meets the needs of advanced students who require a challenging curriculum, but it also works with students who may need an individualized plan or approach to education and learning. From the Founders who established this school, seeing the need for a private Christian School in the area, to the Administrative staff and classroom teachers, I have seen nothing but stellar work ethics and a student-first mentality. The Assistant Principal personally greets the students each morning, with a genuine 'hands-on' approach as she takes on car duty and ensures that each student begins the day on a positive note. The teachers go above and beyond in assisting all students, providing differentiated instruction to be certain that the required subject matter is grasped. As an educator, I am greatly impressed by the staff and Administrators that I am honored to work with, the families and students that I cherish daily and the added blessing of being able to work in a Christian environment.

Posted February 17, 2014

This is our first year at Mountain Island Day and we absolutely love it. Our kids just came over from public school and it's the best decision we have ever made. Kids that go there get personal one on one attention in the classroom, have a great learning environment and get all the resources the kids could ever need and more from administration to strive for greatness in the classroom. I personally love the fact that it is a christian school and I know when my kids go there everyday, good christian values are practiced in a great learning atmosphere. I have to admit I'm also impressed with the athletic department and it's programs they have for boys and girls. Top notch and a first class operation. Go Mariners!!

Posted February 16, 2014

This place is really bad. The whole building is falling apart. There got to be better places for my kid to go to school in a city this big. It is to bad it is a bad school because my son likes his friends.

Posted February 12, 2014

Our family had a terrible experience at another school prior to Mountain Island Day. Our daughter was below grade level and dreaded going to school each day. We switched to Mountain Island Day a year and half ago and our daughter is doing wonderful. We have been overjoyed with her progress and the time the school has invested in her and our family. We have received tutoring by the teachers, pull outs by support staff, and numerous meetings with a support team organized for my daughter. My daughter has not only received a great education but she has also been given love and acceptance. She has a full cheering squad when she succeeds. There should be more schools like Mountain Island Day.

Posted February 6, 2014

My daughter has been with MID since it opened it's doors in 2009. We have loved the dedication by the owners, and the teachers. We have two older children that went through public school and have been amazed at the education our youngest has gotten. She is more advanced than many of her friends that attend public school. Knowing that the teachers truly love each and every child and go out of their way to make sure they succeed. The extra curriculum activities make it easy on parents . My daughter loves cheerleading, swimming, and running. She cannot wait to start playing sports next year. I have truly loved seeing how MID has grown. I look forward to many more years at this school.

Posted January 24, 2014

I saw the previous post and I was very disheartened by it. I volunteer often at the school so I get to see the day to day operations and a little more behind the scenes than other parents. The Winstead's are two of the most dedicated administrators I have witnessed. The school has wonderful teachers and it is apparent to me that the administration work tirelessly to manage their staff. The Winstead's appear to know all the children by name and take the time to invest in them. My daughter is in her third year at the school and she attended the preschool prior to the school. She is socially adjusted, advanced in her academics, and happy. I can not imagine my child anywhere else.

Posted August 29, 2013

We are entering our second year with MID and were extremely impressed with how much our daughter learned in Kindergarten and so far it appears First grade will be no different. Affordable, great staff and teachers, great selection of clubs with before and after school care also available. I love that the curriculum is not stuffy and the teachers have the ability to tailor their lessons towards the interests of the children. We are a non-denominational family and were originally hesitant in joining a Christian based school, however, the school's incorporation of Christianity is through teaching the children morals, faith, and character without an agenda.

Posted March 26, 2013

I feel blessed to be a part of MID! Our entire staff truly cares about meeting the individual academic, social, emotional, and spiritual needs of every child we have the opportunity to teach. Together, with our wonderful student's parents, we have created a team like no other to prepare our students for the bright futures that lie ahead of them!

Posted January 29, 2013

We have 2 children that attend MID and we have been at the school since it opened in 2009. In the 3 short years we have seen the school triple in size. My children are receiving a top notch education and my husband and I could not be more pleased. The personal attention my children receive makes paying for their education worth it. They offer a variety of specials, afterschool clubs and athletics. MID is one of the best kept secrets in the Mountain Island area.

Posted December 29, 2012

My children love MID. Both of my children have always attended private schools all their life, and I was hesitant to change to a school closer to home that was so new. I couldn't have been more wrong! My only regret is that we didn't switch sooner!! If you are looking for a top notch educational environment that compares to with any independent school in the Charlotte Metro area....your search can end now. My family loves everything that the school has to offer. My children are involved in music, basketball, tennis and cheer leading. They love their teachers and look forward to going to school everyday. My husband and I couldn't be happier!!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism
  • Hearing impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:25 am
School end time
  • 3:00
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Tom Winstead
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
  • SBACS
Fax number
  • (704) 943-5445

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None

Staff resources available to students
Extra learning resources offered
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Chess club
  • Dance club
  • Drama club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Mountain Island Elementary (Mecklenburg County)
Pinewood (Gaston County)
Oakdale Elementary and Pawcreek Elementary (Mecklenburg County)

What does it cost?