Posted August 16, 2014
I would never recommend this school to anyone who is truly trying to help their child overcome their challenges so they can find a way back into society as a stable ready to handle life individual. This school's environment is toxic. The staff has a " give me your money so we can maintain our lifestyle" demeanor while 80% of the children who attend this school are on drugs. For a school who claims they are able to meet your child's exceptional needs and help them get what they need so they can be mainstreamed is a crock! This school is clueless of what is really troubling a child at the root and if you choose to not drug your child, they are absolutely inept at handling a child in their true form. It's a prep school on drugs without any real sense of addressing a child's needs. They also don't like to be questioned about their approach and and it is a very cold and non-inviting school for families to participate other than a few annual events.

Posted April 11, 2014
Fletcher has a dedicated staff and they truly care and cater to the children in their school and help their students to learn. They have great facilities as well. Fletcher has a defined student criteria that they work with which is important to understand. If the child does not fit in their criteria they do not accept them. This is not that the child is bad, they are just focused on the children they can best serve. It would be nice if everyone had such a clear vision of whom they could serve best and followed that vision even if it costs them money..

Posted February 14, 2014
I was sorely disappointed with the admissions process at Fletcher School. After submitting the application and hefty $300 fee required to accompany it, we were not granted a basic classroom visit for our child to determine eligibility. The admissions director indicated that she spoke to one of our child's therapists to support her decision, but when I followed up with the therapist, no conversation had apparently taken place. Overall, it was a disingenuous experience which left a bitter taste in my mouth. I would not recommend this school to others. (Sorry, I cannot accurately measure the other 2 areas as I have had no experience with the teachers and parents personally.)

Fletcher School 3

Posted November 14, 2012
I have heard wonderful things about this school, however, I have been very frustrated about my son's transition. His teacher doesn't seem to understand all his learning difficulties and is very quick to discipline him for things that are outside of his control. I thought it would be an understanding place for my son, but the public school teachers have been much kinder and more understanding. Not sure if we will return for another year.

Posted September 28, 2012
We hoped this school would be the perfect fit for our son. Unfortunately, we were flabbergasted by comments made during a recent visit by a key member of the staff here. The comments were insensitive to children, specifically kids with more significant learning and social issues. I have tried several times to elaborate on this and each time, great schools does not accept my review. I wish I could be more specific regarding the comments. Suffice it to say these comments made me feel sick inside and convinced me to never ever reconsider this school despite its unique nature for kids with learning disabilities. The staff sure seemed sweet but quickly turned on me. I would encourage anyone to dig deeper and ask lots of questions.

Posted November 16, 2011
We are very happy with Fletcher -- my son has attended (for 5 years) since 1st grade after struggling for several years in preschool, transitional kindergarten and kindergarten. He finally started to get his self-esteem back in 1st grade when he transferred into Fletcher. Small class sizes and a lot of repetition has remediated his reading completely. He has other learning issues (esp. slow processing) and they are very patient with him. I love the school so much -- don't know how it compares to other LD schools, but I know it has worked miracles in our lives. Fletcher has also increased its sports and after school options for the kids. It's a wonderful family environment. Lots of compassion here.

Posted March 03, 2010

Posted October 08, 2009
This is a very good school for LD children and their parents. Our son attended a similar school in another city. We refused to relocate to other locations due to the lack of learning support offered at Fletcher. While not quite meeting the standards of our previous school, Charlotte parents are lucky to have Fletcher. As is the case at any school, some teachers are better than others but the Administration is outstanding. Our son was able to 'mainstream' into a private middle school with very little difficulty. He currently maintains a 3.2 GPA at local private college prep school and participates in various school activities. Bottom Line - there are better LD schools but they are few and very far between.

Fletcher School 4

Posted March 30, 2004
This is a rare gem of a school. Fletcher provides skill building for children with learning disabilities, in an environment where children are able to build self-esteem and confidence in their unique abilities. They are somewhat limited in their approach, using only Orton-Gillingham as a remediating tool. However, the 6x1 class size and highly sensitive staff provide solid skill building and confidence for the children. Parent teacher conferences and performance reporting are comprehensive and highly individualized--not boiler plate. We were very fortunate to have found this school.

Fletcher School
8500 Sardis Road, Charlotte, NC  28270
Last modified Fletcher School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Fletcher School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews.