Posted April 23, 2015
We have been at Prep since the beginning with one child and TK with the other. The early school is a gem. Most of the teachers have been there a long time. They know Montessori and they know how to help children reach their highest potential. The Montessori style flows through the school allowing children to learn at their own pace and differentiate between learners. This is important to me because my kids need challenge some areas and support in others. Since Prep became a non-profit (maybe 3 yrs ago?) the school has improved its campus and academic programs immensely. They switched math programs last year, and I can already see the innovation in the learning in my 1st grader through the way he now manipulates numbers to do his work. I love the new challenge problems that my 4th grader is bringing home. She is reaching up (not always making it) but being supported to try and be ok with taking the risk. Its easier for her to take that risk in small group environment. Its a small school, creating a very nurturing environment. I have become friends with many of the parents and have found them to be an extremely bright and engaging group.

Posted March 27, 2015
I have two children in the middle school. My children have loved going to Prep since the 4th grade. We moved our kids out of CMS so that our kids would continue to love learning and to feel it was cool to work hard and make good grades. My kids love going to school every single day. I am an active volunteer at Prep and I can tell you first hand that the teachers and administration are wonderful! The kids are always smiling and skipping around the campus. My children have rigorous academics plus a great balance of joy filled days within the school. Our biggest desire for our kids has always been that they continue to have a passion for learning and Prep fosters that love of learning. Their middle school sports teams have had a great record over the past 3 years while we have been at Prep. The coaches help all levels of kids to play to their best potential. It's exciting to watch all these wonderful kids flourish within the school as well as out on the fields and courts. Keep up the good work Prep!

Posted March 26, 2015
The negative reviews are accurate. Prep does not have the financial stability that the other private schools have which impacts every aspect of this school. There is favoritism towards families that donate lots of money,the school barely does anything about bullying/discipline because they don't want the parents leaving the school, there is lack of resources and lack of opportunities for friendships because of how small prep is. The families don't leave because of the curriculum. They leave because of all the reasons stated above and the politics that go on at this school. They also can't afford to get the best teachers and this effects the quality of the school. The only reason prep got voted as best private school was because they told everyone to vote. This is a very biased vote that lacks true veracity.

Posted February 17, 2015
This is our 5th year here and we are just estatic with the top notch education our child has been getting. As the years have gone by, we have seen many students leave as it is just too challenging of an environment and this year we had many students come from other private schools who want a more challenging curriculum with a more intimate environment. The school is definately geared toward the accelerated/gifted cihld. I love all the specials my child receives and so thrilled he could read music by the age of 8 from music theory studies. With the highest diversity percentage of all the private schools (over 30 % I believe) , he understands all cultures and embraces it. Small classes, kind and caring teachers and adminstrators is what we have experienced here. When everyone at the school from administrators, to teachers that don't even teach your childs grade know your child's name..it really makes them feel at home and comfortable. I had high expectations from this school from the start and they have met every one of them. I can only hope when it's time to go to high school ,we will find a school that has been as great as Prep has been.

Posted February 22, 2014
We were so excited for our son to attend this school and it turned out to be a huge disappointment from the first day. Very poor communication and very disorganized!

Posted January 05, 2014
This our seventh year at Prep and our children have had a wonderful experience. The change to non profit has been a great move for the school and several changes have improved the quality of experience even more. Our children have become independent learners in a safe, friendly environment with dedicated and caring teachers. The new head of middle school has been a fantastic addition and has been a huge hit with children and parents alike. Our children love coming to school and enjoy learning. What more could a parent want?

Posted December 31, 2013
I have put 4 children through the school and have one that is still there. My son's year had 5 kids in the class that became merit scholars out of an 18 student graduating class. The 'big three" claimed the success but Prep did the dirty work. My next 2 carry above a 3.7 at major universities and my fourth is top 5 in her class in high school. I have never seen an environment with less bullying or social pressure than Prep; that extends right through middle school. The parents are a diverse, eclectic bunch that genuinely like and support each other.
5 people found this helpful

Posted October 23, 2013
This is our 4th year at CPS. We toured several schools and felt most at home at CPS - as did our kids. I find the negative reviews a little puzzling. I've only experienced professionalism and the type of attention you'd expect in a smaller school. We plan on staying through 8th - as this is the highest grade at Prep. As far as "letting anyone in" regardless of level of learning ability - the tough curriculum will weed out anyone who can't keep up. This school has proven year to year that it's everything we had hoped for. We're proud to be part of the Prep family.

Posted October 22, 2013
I feel that this school is not the most safe environment for my child. My child was bullied and he reported to the administrator. However, there was little, if no response! Also there are not many kids at this school that are similar to my child.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 21, 2013
The school has a history of high turnover rate of families leaving which means they are constantly having to replenish with new students. This however creates problems within school when there isn't a high priority of selectivity of the students being admitted. The school has to survive financially and the student population isn't any different than public school. The kids swear amongst each other and the teachers aren't aware of what really is going on with the students. The administrators and the some of the teachers are not professional in how they handle conflict. The teachers do not email back in a timely manner. It takes 4-5 days to get a response back. One teacher didn't email back all year and the administrator was made aware of this, yet nothing has changed.

Charlotte Preparatory School
212 Boyce Rd, Charlotte, NC  28211
Last modified Charlotte Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Charlotte Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 117 reviews. Top