Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

The current principal is a horrible mess who thinks he is the ultimate font of knowledge and knows NOTHING about special needs children. However, the teachers my child has had have been caring and really given the extra effort to include my child and make him feel special. CMS in general needs to have better resources for children who are in need in ways other than physical. The school has great opportunities but only if your child is part of the mainstream.

Two of my children have attended HR. This year we decided to enroll them in a Private School. We used to LOVE it there, but since the Old Principal took a new job out of state, and the new Principal has come in, it hasn't been the same. The Principal that used to be at HR was way more involved with the children as well as the parents. There was more open-ness and welcoming than there is now and there was parent involvement. There also isn't enough communication. It's sad. I really feel like HR used to be a wonderful school, and it is fast becoming a place where parents are not part of the process.

I moved specifically for this school and have been utterly disappointed. My son experienced bullying - by two separate children - and his teacher did nothing about it. She didn't respond to a single email or call until I emailed the Principal. Even then, it didn't stop. The school routinely asks parents for funding - ex: carpets from 1997 need to be replaced and the school has no funds to pay for this. The teachers and administrators are underpaid, overwhelmed and - as I mentioned before - unresponsive. The new Principal takes the drill sergeant approach - and I mean that in EVERY aspect of the term. Overall, this is a huge disappointment. I've already begun the process of moving to Fort Mill where the schools are much, much better than CMS. You've been warned.

We recently moved to Charlotte from out of state. I was a bit nervous about moving to the area since the only reviews I read about CMS schools we that they were 'cut throat' & 'only catering to families with money'. However, my child has thrived in the few months that she's been here at HR. she loves her teacher (as do I), the principal seems very involved and willing to help not only the students but parents who also want to be involved and a part of their child's education. I love how I get weekly emails from my child's teacher and principal (not something that happened at our old school). Im also thrilled with the fact that my child tested into the AIG program and is getting the support to help her get farther in her education. Although there is a huge emphasis on high scores, there is also an emphasis on family and community. With Hawk Dads helping with carpool and hosting movie nights and moms volunteering with Girls on the Run and other activities, I feel like any child here can see that this school is not JUST a school but a place where families come together to help them succeed. Thanks Hawk Ridge!

This school is awesome...I had to relocate to the Charlotte area and found the best school for my child to attend. I was really nervous at how my child would adjust since it was the middle of the semester but the staff were so welcoming and comforting to our new move. My child adjusted well. I love the growth and hands-on experience. The curriculum is excellent at helping prepare students for the EOG's, and test scores are amazing. Weekly agenda folders are sent home to keep parents involved. Teachers send out weekly emails to inform parents of what your child will be learning that week. They utilize new technology systems (smart boards) in allowing students to bring in electronics (i.e tablets). Unfortunately, I never used the bus system...however, I used carpool and the school will give you a number to use when picking up your child after-school to assure proper safety and dismissal. Boosterthon, Fun-Run, Valentine's Dance...and the list goes on of all the events parents and students can attend to fund-raise events and bring school interaction. All around this school is phenomenal. I have nothing bad to say, it's a 5 star from me.

My daughters have thrived at Hawk Ridge. If you are moving to Charlotte, this school has: 552 member PTA, a science lab equivalent to my own high school's lab (complete with eyewash, erosion tables,) Smartboard technology, wireless Internet, iPads for the teachers. The school's EOG scores are amazing. The teachers do well with special needs students and have special needs teachers.. The YMCA partners with the school. The drama club is outstanding. Music: keyboarding lessons, choir, and encouragement to try new instruments. ESL: outstanding. PE: two amazing teachers who keep current with exercise trends, yoga after school and a Girls on the Run program. A guidance counselor and speech therapist on-site who are both infinitely patient. The Principal has his own child at the school. There's a Dad's group which holds movie nights. Both of my girls have learning challenges and they both have received care beyond my expectations. This is a high-quality school with amazing administrators. Discipline is maintained in a kind way. The only incident of bullying we experienced was dealt with in less than 24 hours and resolved completely. I highly recommend this school.

We moved here from Maryland and our main concern were the schools. We ended up at Endhaven and later we were zoned for Hawk Ridge. I can not say enough about this school. We have children who range from gifted to special needs and the staff have gone out of their way to make sure that the learning envirnoment for each child is met. We have great communication with the staff, from the head on down. We were even able to start a group called HOPE for families who have different concerns for students with special needs.

A great school. The teaching staff is excellent and also all the administration staff are very caring and wonderful. One of the best schools that i have known of. The academic program is very challenging and keeps our kids way ahead of the curve. LOve the school and all the staff too.

Incredible school. Be sure to discount some of the older posts about overcrowding. CMS has fixed that. Fantastic Principal. Amazing, caring teachers. Very demanding yet supportive. Very early adopters of new teaching and learning philosophies. One of the best performing elementary schools in the entire state of NC. And - the focus on character too!

We chose to stay in the Hawk Ridge school zone when our son turned 5 years and was ready for kindegarten. We picked Hawk Ridge based on reviews on this website and some from conversations with other people. So far,we have not had a single chance for doubt or had to re-think our choice. The PTA is fantastic and relentless, the principal and staff strive to put into implementation innovative efforts to teach and help learn. Having volunteered at the shcool, I have seen the everyday functioning of the school and can only say - Glad we chose this one!!

Last modified Hawk Ridge Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.