School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I have been a teacher here for the past four years and feel disheartened by the negative reviews I see on a variety of websites about Southwest. There a so many wonderful things happening at our school that will far surpass my word limit. What the negative reviews won't tell you about is the thousands of dollars our students have raised for the Susan G. Komen Foundation and Leukemia & Lymphoma Society this year. The reviews also won't tell you about our outstanding orchestra who consistently score exemplary in national competitions, beating out high schools. The reviews also won't say that our Science and Math departments have essentially closed the achievement gap among our various groups. Yes, we are a large, diverse school that is undergoing a positive shift that these reviews do not accurately portray. Those that have commented on the ineffectiveness of the administration or teachers have not witnessed one of our grade level administrators working directly with a team of teachers and parents to remedy an issue as quickly as possible. Nor have they been apart of a team who tirelessly attend parent meetings to try to do everything they can to motivate and help your child. To say this school is "terrible," and a "nightmare," is fundamentally slanderous. As with everything we read online, please consider the bias of the author before making a judgement call. Rather, come visit and make an opinion for yourself.
May 02, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This school rocks. Initially I was hesitate in placing my daughter in this school after reading the negative reviews. After a bad experience in a charter school I had no choice because this is her home school. A true blessing it is. All the support staff and teachers are wonderful. The teachers are very supportive of the children. The teachers get through to the kids in a positive way. My daughter comes home all the time with positive comments about her teachers. She has learned so much since attending Southwest. I personally am grateful and appreciative to have Southwest Middle as my child home-school.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

no, I had to homeschool my daughter until we moved to SC to get her out of this environment.

I am a teacher and substitute teacher. I have worked in a variety of different schools over the years, and I believe the staff at SWMS does a great job. Middle School is one of the most difficult age groups to teach thanks to puberty, and the conflicts and drama can often throw a school off balance. I never thought I would like to teach middle school again, and yet I have had a very pleasant time at SWMS. The teachers work together to teach students what is expected in middle school. Administration is strict and consistent, which keeps everyone in line and organized. Teachers are given the freedom to teach, and are not over scrutinized. I feel safe working here. Considering many of these students are coming from lower income families (free/reduced lunch is 58%), it is quite impressive that this school functions so well.

The problem I have with SW is the size of the school. They need a new middle school in the area because its growing. My son also told me their are some students in class that are disruptive, but not all. The bottom line; the parent has the last word when it comes to public school issues. Call the teacher and ask for a personal meeting, be prepared and if your child needs extra help (ADHD, They need a tutor, in a subject) In other words, If their needs in the classroom are not being ment call a "504" A 504 is where the principal, teachers and counselors have to meet with you to discuss your concerns. They must address your issues, due to the fact this rule is a federal statute. (Usually, used if child has developmental issues but not always). Example: If your child is depressed because of bulling and it's causing a issue with their education/studies. Call a 504. If you are not satisfied with that, then request a group meeting with the principal, counselor, and teacher. In the VERY rare case they refuse. It is time to get ugly and contact the superintendents office and bring your lawyer.

This school is horrible,the whole school should be shut down. The kids are out of control, very few understand the meaning of school and the purpose of coming to school.. half of the teachers don't know how to teach the kids for the kids to understand the lesson. The principal and his assistance don't care for the students, they never listen to the parents about the teachers are staff when addressing an issue.. If a parent can check your area of schools if you don't live in the area of this school and were planning on moving to this area..

I just came to this school from park road montessori. This is my first year although i am starting in 7th grade. This school sucks! The teachers barely even care if you missed anything. They don't explain projects well at all. The organization at this school is the worst because there is none. On picture day over the load speaker they said ok all 7th graders go head down to the media center for your picture. The halls were completely filled! The teachers did nothing about it. It was really loud and crowded.The children's language is disgusting. They curse almost all the time and it makes me very uncomfortable. Even when the teachers here them curse they say hey don't talk like that in my class room and go back to what they were doing like nothing happened! Yeah cause a 13 year old can curse any where else but not your class room! The school is completely over populated and gross. There is sick writing all over the bathroom walls and there is gum under almost all the lockers! I wish i was over at quail hollow now. I feel like dying every time i her the words southwest and middle school together. Don't go here unless you hate your child.

very good school, I have sent all 13 of my kids here and they all love it.in fact, my eldest son even purposely got himself held back because he wanted another year there! 10/10

Horrifying. Unless your child is in the "high" Honors classes. Check, bc there are two levels of Honors classes. These are quietly referred to as "high honors" and "low honors". Low honors is just the old Standard Plus kids, those who scored 3's on EOGs. I spent 2 days going to school with my son who wasn't doing homework (I tried many other tactics before this). What I saw in the class labeled as Honors was like a movie about an inner city school run by thugs.. Except this was real and as hard as the teachers tried to maintain control, these little darlings ran the 3 classrooms I visited. They were sitting on desks, disobeying teacher demands to sit in their seat, walking around talking, throwing things, and would NOT stop talking all during the lecture. The child seated next to me quietly said, "I wish they would just shut up" and put his head on his desk and just kind of shut down. When I approached admin, the quickest solution was to move my son, into the "high honors" class. The red tape required to remove an unruly child from the room or school, I was told, is monumental. Was informed teachers have learned if they discipline or seek help from admin, it backfires on them.

This school is terrible. I have personally seen two very violent fights where teachers stood by. The bullying is so bad that kids will act out simply to escape the classroom and the bullying. Teachers do very little to try and stop it. They have given up just as much as the students. Some of the students are so vulgar that teachers have been reduced to cursing and name calling just to be heard...and still they aren't heard for very long. I have sat in on classes, lunches, field trips and after school sporting events and at best, this school is a nightmare.

Last modified Southwest Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.