Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)

Southwest Middle School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted February 04, 2016
no, I had to homeschool my daughter until we moved to SC to get her out of this environment.

Southwest Middle School 4

Posted December 02, 2015
I am a teacher and substitute teacher. I have worked in a variety of different schools over the years, and I believe the staff at SWMS does a great job. Middle School is one of the most difficult age groups to teach thanks to puberty, and the conflicts and drama can often throw a school off balance. I never thought I would like to teach middle school again, and yet I have had a very pleasant time at SWMS. The teachers work together to teach students what is expected in middle school. Administration is strict and consistent, which keeps everyone in line and organized. Teachers are given the freedom to teach, and are not over scrutinized. I feel safe working here. Considering many of these students are coming from lower income families (free/reduced lunch is 58%), it is quite impressive that this school functions so well.

Southwest Middle School 3

Posted March 02, 2015
The problem I have with SW is the size of the school. They need a new middle school in the area because its growing. My son also told me their are some students in class that are disruptive, but not all. The bottom line; the parent has the last word when it comes to public school issues. Call the teacher and ask for a personal meeting, be prepared and if your child needs extra help (ADHD, They need a tutor, in a subject) In other words, If their needs in the classroom are not being ment call a "504" A 504 is where the principal, teachers and counselors have to meet with you to discuss your concerns. They must address your issues, due to the fact this rule is a federal statute. (Usually, used if child has developmental issues but not always). Example: If your child is depressed because of bulling and it's causing a issue with their education/studies. Call a 504. If you are not satisfied with that, then request a group meeting with the principal, counselor, and teacher. In the VERY rare case they refuse. It is time to get ugly and contact the superintendents office and bring your lawyer.

Posted February 25, 2015
This school is horrible,the whole school should be shut down. The kids are out of control, very few understand the meaning of school and the purpose of coming to school.. half of the teachers don't know how to teach the kids for the kids to understand the lesson. The principal and his assistance don't care for the students, they never listen to the parents about the teachers are staff when addressing an issue.. If a parent can check your area of schools if you don't live in the area of this school and were planning on moving to this area..

Posted April 28, 2014
I just came to this school from park road montessori. This is my first year although i am starting in 7th grade. This school sucks! The teachers barely even care if you missed anything. They don't explain projects well at all. The organization at this school is the worst because there is none. On picture day over the load speaker they said ok all 7th graders go head down to the media center for your picture. The halls were completely filled! The teachers did nothing about it. It was really loud and crowded.The children's language is disgusting. They curse almost all the time and it makes me very uncomfortable. Even when the teachers here them curse they say hey don't talk like that in my class room and go back to what they were doing like nothing happened! Yeah cause a 13 year old can curse any where else but not your class room! The school is completely over populated and gross. There is sick writing all over the bathroom walls and there is gum under almost all the lockers! I wish i was over at quail hollow now. I feel like dying every time i her the words southwest and middle school together. Don't go here unless you hate your child.

Southwest Middle School 5

Posted March 16, 2014
very good school, I have sent all 13 of my kids here and they all love it.in fact, my eldest son even purposely got himself held back because he wanted another year there! 10/10

Posted September 11, 2013
Horrifying. Unless your child is in the "high" Honors classes. Check, bc there are two levels of Honors classes. These are quietly referred to as "high honors" and "low honors". Low honors is just the old Standard Plus kids, those who scored 3's on EOGs. I spent 2 days going to school with my son who wasn't doing homework (I tried many other tactics before this). What I saw in the class labeled as Honors was like a movie about an inner city school run by thugs.. Except this was real and as hard as the teachers tried to maintain control, these little darlings ran the 3 classrooms I visited. They were sitting on desks, disobeying teacher demands to sit in their seat, walking around talking, throwing things, and would NOT stop talking all during the lecture. The child seated next to me quietly said, "I wish they would just shut up" and put his head on his desk and just kind of shut down. When I approached admin, the quickest solution was to move my son, into the "high honors" class. The red tape required to remove an unruly child from the room or school, I was told, is monumental. Was informed teachers have learned if they discipline or seek help from admin, it backfires on them.

Posted January 18, 2013
This school is terrible. I have personally seen two very violent fights where teachers stood by. The bullying is so bad that kids will act out simply to escape the classroom and the bullying. Teachers do very little to try and stop it. They have given up just as much as the students. Some of the students are so vulgar that teachers have been reduced to cursing and name calling just to be heard...and still they aren't heard for very long. I have sat in on classes, lunches, field trips and after school sporting events and at best, this school is a nightmare.

Posted June 05, 2012
Personally, I am horrified by the amount of good reviews this school has, for example: this school often does not have good teachers while others try extremely hard, some do not even try to teach their children. Fights break out everyday in a competition to see who is the best, graffiti on the walls and even fecal matter smeared in the restrooms. My first year at this school was not that horrific, but the reason is because I am in the Honors, or higher education, team. The contrast between Honors and standard or standard plus is ridiculous. The students in standard have no respect for the teachers and profanity is said like everyday words. The teachers often make threats but rarely carry them out. My last point is the comparison of students in other schools and my school. Our school has an average of 70% passing. Other schools in CMS have more than 75% for the special needs children and more than 94% on average for the other students. I was lucky because most of my teachers were dedicated.

Southwest Middle School 2

Posted November 01, 2011
SWMS like many other CMS schools are failing our kids as it relates to academics. The school is over-populated; some of the teachers lack dedication and enthusiasm that's due in part to the teacher:student ratio, and also due to the lack of knowledge and skills. My daughter attended SWMS for the entire 6th grade, and I pulled her out to home school her after the 1st three weeks of the 7th grade.

Southwest Middle School
13624 Steele Creek Road, Charlotte, NC  28273
Last modified Southwest Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.