Bad
Good

Socrates Academy
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 23, 2016
This is our first year at Socrates Academy, but we have been greatly impressed with the teachers, staff, students and family involvement. It makes you want to volunteer and help out when so many families are welcoming. The first day, my daughter spilled her water. The teacher encouraged the students to help her clean it up instead of leaving her on her own. It is this type of leadership that makes this school so special.

Posted November 23, 2014
Great school.. great staff! Hope a highschool is in the plans for the future! We love Socrates!

Posted October 12, 2014
We decided to pull out because of the lack of support on bullying situations. There are no rules, consequences of any sort and they seem to fosture inappropriate behaviors with a meer warning, or write up on the board. This has become a serious issue nationally, so we cannot sit back and promote this for our children. The school had started off as a positive experience and has quickly fallen off, with lack of trained individuals teaching. It's a shame, the kids are really losing out in this school as well as a few very talented and caring individuals there teaching, that really deserve more.

Posted September 01, 2014
This school is amazing. My daughter just started 7th grade and all she could talk about was her science teacher, Mr. Latzos. From carpool all the way to the house, all she could talk about was how he really made her think about science and the cool demonstrations he would do. She likes her other teachers too this year but could not stop talking about this Mr. Latzos. Socrates Academy is lucky to have a teacher like him on their staff and our kids are lucky to have him as a teacher. Looking forward to a great year!! Apparently my daughter is not the only one who thinks the same about Mr. Latzos. Socrates Academy, you've got yourself a local celebrity who gets results. Keep him around as long as possible.

Posted August 20, 2014
Socrates Academy is a great school. This past year was my girls first year there and they loved it. They did have some bullying going on but once I talked to the teachers about this, it was immediately handled. I was impressed because coming from another school, this would not have happened. The teachers are outstanding and go above and beyond for these students.

Posted May 13, 2014
Highly respected select few great teachers, PFI, and parents who give everything to keep this school together. Since inception the school has been unable to control bullying, teacher-bullying, inappropriate behavior, language and explicit social-media usage. The leadership and teachers blame the NC State rules for constraining them. The Greek Founders and Board of Trustees, focus their priorities on their fund-raising foundation, operated autonomously and modeled after the Greek Banking System. This has resulted in disproportionate debt and this prohibits the select deserving teachers to be paid and reimbursed accordingly. Altogether a rare cultural Greek immersion experience.

Posted April 09, 2014
This educational environment is so unprofessional and stressful for the kids and the educators, that makes me wonder "who can stand it?". The English program is pretty good, some of the American teachers are trying, but the Greek program is totally disorganized. My husband has Italian origin and he says that it's a Greek mentality not to have any specific Curriculum. My child had a Greek teacher who cried in the classroom every day, till she eventually went back to Greece. During this specific year my student changed 5 Greek teachers. I am surprised that most of the students speak very limited Greek, even if they have been attending since ever. I don't think that the Greek teachers are real educators or they can offer any high-level knowledge. Other parents say that the school used to be better in the past, the administrators were always very unprofessional though. If I had the chance to take my child from there and enroll it to another charter school, I'd do it now. It's my husband who hesitates. No differentiation, especially in Greek. It is a hard language to learn anyway, but the lack of using alternative methods like projects or theater or games is a big downfall.

Socrates Academy 4

Posted October 25, 2013
Socrates focuses on high achievement through trackable individual progress year over year. Students are in Greek immersion for language and matematics 2 periods a day. The small class size & dedicated teaching staff makes Socrates second to none. Socrates has very little turn over as a charter school because of the tight-knit community. The best way Socrates could improve would be to take their concept from kindergarten to graduation by adding a high school.

Posted October 25, 2013
i love the school, it the first year for my daughter there and she love it too , high academy , lovely and friendly teacher ,staff too

Posted October 25, 2013
We were attracted to Socrates Academy because it is a semi Greek immersion school, focusing on reading, writing, and mathematics taught through the use of the Socratic Method. Small class sizes, uniforms, and no tuition were an added bonus in our eyes. I still remember the day our son got in through the lottery. I was shaking with excitement and told my husband, "We can never say we don't have good luck!". It has been a few years since that day in February, two children there, and we are all happy as ever. This school is more than just a place to "house" children during the day. It is a community, an extended family. With all families committing to volunteer a minimum of 36 hours a year towards the needs of the school. I am remind of the lyrics from the TV show "Cheers"', when thinking of Socrates. Sometimes you do want to go where everybody knows your name. More importantly, the faculty all know my children, and not for the wrong reasons. Being an Honor School of Excellence proves that in the few, short years the school has been in existence, that the methodology behind this unique program works. My children are flourishing, not just in English learning, but in Greek too.

Socrates Academy
3909 Weddington Road, Charlotte, NC  28211
Last modified Socrates Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.