Posted May 28, 2014
There is actually an anti-bullying organization that all teachers are involved with. My child did have incidents with bullying, but the moment I spoke to the teacher, the same day action was taken. Unfortunately, bullying is everywhere but I'm very proud that my child goes to a school where it is not taken lightly! My child has loved Socrates for 4 years now and I wouldn't change a thing! Great staff, both English and Greek teachers! I'm amazed when I hear a non-Greek child speak fluent Greek in 5th grade. Wish I could have learned my Spanish that well growing up! Go Socrates!!!!

Posted May 13, 2014
Highly respected select few great teachers, PFI, and parents who give everything to keep this school together. Since inception the school has been unable to control bullying, teacher-bullying, inappropriate behavior, language and explicit social-media usage. The leadership and teachers blame the NC State rules for constraining them. The Greek Founders and Board of Trustees, focus their priorities on their fund-raising foundation, operated autonomously and modeled after the Greek Banking System. This has resulted in disproportionate debt and this prohibits the select deserving teachers to be paid and reimbursed accordingly. Altogether a rare cultural Greek immersion experience.

Posted April 09, 2014
This educational environment is so unprofessional and stressful for the kids and the educators, that makes me wonder "who can stand it?". The English program is pretty good, some of the American teachers are trying, but the Greek program is totally disorganized. My husband has Italian origin and he says that it's a Greek mentality not to have any specific Curriculum. My child had a Greek teacher who cried in the classroom every day, till she eventually went back to Greece. During this specific year my student changed 5 Greek teachers. I am surprised that most of the students speak very limited Greek, even if they have been attending since ever. I don't think that the Greek teachers are real educators or they can offer any high-level knowledge. Other parents say that the school used to be better in the past, the administrators were always very unprofessional though. If I had the chance to take my child from there and enroll it to another charter school, I'd do it now. It's my husband who hesitates. No differentiation, especially in Greek. It is a hard language to learn anyway, but the lack of using alternative methods like projects or theater or games is a big downfall.

Socrates Academy 4

Posted October 25, 2013
Socrates focuses on high achievement through trackable individual progress year over year. Students are in Greek immersion for language and matematics 2 periods a day. The small class size & dedicated teaching staff makes Socrates second to none. Socrates has very little turn over as a charter school because of the tight-knit community. The best way Socrates could improve would be to take their concept from kindergarten to graduation by adding a high school.

Posted October 25, 2013
We were attracted to Socrates Academy because it is a semi Greek immersion school, focusing on reading, writing, and mathematics taught through the use of the Socratic Method. Small class sizes, uniforms, and no tuition were an added bonus in our eyes. I still remember the day our son got in through the lottery. I was shaking with excitement and told my husband, "We can never say we don't have good luck!". It has been a few years since that day in February, two children there, and we are all happy as ever. This school is more than just a place to "house" children during the day. It is a community, an extended family. With all families committing to volunteer a minimum of 36 hours a year towards the needs of the school. I am remind of the lyrics from the TV show "Cheers"', when thinking of Socrates. Sometimes you do want to go where everybody knows your name. More importantly, the faculty all know my children, and not for the wrong reasons. Being an Honor School of Excellence proves that in the few, short years the school has been in existence, that the methodology behind this unique program works. My children are flourishing, not just in English learning, but in Greek too.

Posted September 11, 2013
We love SA. It worked well for both our kids one in second grade And one in seventh grade. The youngest is gifted And the eldest is special needs . SA has catered very well To the needs of both kids academically and intellectually. They do have great teachers who are able to provide Differentiated learning to all kids.

Posted July 11, 2013
My experience with Socrates Academy has been wonderful so far. I have a rising second grader and both years my son has had awesome teachers who care about him and want to help him learn as much as he can. Everyone I have dealt with from the school has been great and I think this is a wonderful environment for my son. There is a sense of community when you enter into the school. Every day there are plenty of parent volunteers helping with all kinds of activities to make this a wonderful environment. I look forward to the fall when both of my children will attend this school.

Posted July 03, 2013
Great school! High academic standards, strong sense of community and a caring staff. We feel very fortunate that our children have the opportunity to attend such an exceptional school. Couldn't be happier!

Posted July 03, 2013
Socrates Academy is just what we were looking for. They offer a challenging curriculum in a nurturing environment. My daughter came to Socrates Academy after 2 years at our local CMS elementary school, which (like SA) is an Honor School of Excellence. Even so, the difference is night and day. My daughter is happy and excited to go to school every day. Her classmates have been friendly and welcoming; she has never felt like the odd one out despite being new to the school. Her teachers are very caring and the differentiated learning provided in the classroom has been wonderful. When we enrolled her last June, the administration put me in touch with one of the school's Greek language teachers who tutored my daughter all summer. This teacher was incredible. When my daughter started in the fall, her new Greek language teacher and Greek math teacher could not believe she'd had no prior exposure to the language before that summer. We're delighted she has the opportunity to learn in a rich, multi-cultural environment and hope the prospective high school will be a reality by the time our all children are old enough. We love this school!

Posted July 02, 2013
We have decided to leave this school because the administration would not enforce the anti-bullying policy. The children who have been with the school from the beginning get preference over the ones who have come in at the beginning of Middle School. They have not addressed (at all) the multiple bullying issues we have faced. I am going to the county Superintendent over these things. We had to pull our daughter out of school on the last week of 8th grade because of bullying...and her teachers supported this. Her locker was vandalized all year (they do not allow locks on them) and a wonderful teacher provided a space in her closet for my child to store her things. I copied the Board of Directors on the emails I directed at the teachers and administration, but never heard from any of them. This school may be a "school of Excellence" in academics, but beware. It was more harmful to our Middle School daughter than helpful. I cannot recommend it to anyone now.

Socrates Academy
3909 Weddington Road, Charlotte, NC  28211
Last modified Socrates Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Socrates Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews.