Community House Middle

Public | 6-8 | 1577 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 3, 2014

My child has a special problem . The school staff were not helpful at all. I feel some discrimination to minors. My son went months without school, they did not let him do assignments at home without any reasons. They laugh my son and his anxieties problems as if they do not exist. The school counselor told me to go to hospital emergency room to get a letter for my son so he can be put on home bound. I did not know that it costs more than 1000 dollars for the emergency fee. The school counselor knew my son does not have insurance. We have to pay out of our pocket. It is only for a home bound medical letter. When I told them about the fee, they just walked away. My friends said it is very cruel to tell us to go to emergency room without informing about the cost. Moreover, it is psychological problem that won't be diagnosed by one visit. I think they have reasons why they don't want to put him at home bound, and the reason is racism.

Posted April 3, 2014

My child was bullied by the teachers and other students. We have just moved here from other state. My son had problems concentrated because other students kept talking and talking in the class and during assignments. He got bad scores at the beginning, and the teachers did whatever they could so he would move out from the school. After I read other reviews, I understood what have happened so far. I agree that the principal only cares about grades, and she wants to eliminate students with bad grades. Actually my son was assessed by a psychologist and he found that he is very intelligent. It is the school which is too noisy that he could not study at all. What a waste of time sending a kid to this kind of school that does not educate children and only focus on test scores.

Posted January 15, 2014

OMG, what a bunch of whining parents!! My child did her three yrs. at CHMS and LOVED it, as did I. These are pubescent "darlings" that need a thumb on them...NO RECESS? boo hoo...middle school is HARD people and it only gets tougher in high school. I think most of you still wipe your child's nose and don't expect them to do it themselves. It is no longer elementary school. Middle school and the rigorous academics are getting them ready for HIGH SCHOOL and the WORLD! if it is too tough, home school them because you are going to find all the same issues at any other middle school in Charlotte. The principal runs a tight ship and the AK principal runs an even tighter ship. I say GOOD for both of them!

Posted October 17, 2013

We moved to Charlotte Meck after living in Marvin (Union County) and I must say we have been very pleased with this school, and was quite surprised how it stacked up to our last school. Our daughter is doing very well in Community House and we have had no issues. She goes to tutoring when its needed or the teacher feels its needed, we loved her 7th grade teachers and now she is in 8th grade and her math and science teacher are her favorite. For us as a family we made the right decision to move to Ballantyne as our daughter is getting an excellent education.

Posted October 4, 2013

I think this school is okay. I just moved here. About the previous post on April 17 only on occasions is there one hour of homework. In fact my Algebra I teacher says if you spend more than an hour on your homework then put it aside and come to help. I like the before school tutoring and wiki thing. cmswiki.wikispaces.net Here is some info about the school: Grading Scale: 93-100 A 85-92 B 77-84 C 70-76 D 69 and below F Grade makeup: Formal(Tests and quizzes)-65% Informal(classwork and homework)-35% Grade makeup(High school credit course): Formal-70% Informal-30% Math courses for 6th grade: Math 6 Honours Math 6 Math 7 Algebra I?? Math courses for 7th: Math 7 Honours Math 7 Algebra I Geometry? Math for 8th: Math 8 Algebra I Geometry Algebra 2? English courses: Language Arts 6 Language Arts 7 Language Arts 8 Honours LA 6 Honours LA 7 Honours LA 8 -Submitted by 7th grader

Posted April 23, 2013

Given the choice of schools in the area, I suppose this one would be the lesser of two evils and the greater of another. My children came from an elementary school in which the kids would potentially go to one of three different middle schools. We chose this one, because my oldest child had an IEP and most of the kids who knew him from Elementary were going here so we felt that the transition would be a bit easier. While we NEVER encountered a bullying issue - even with a child with special needs - we did find more than our fair share of teachers who are ill-equipped to do the job, and those who are well- equipped are being drowned by so many hands clutching for them to help them stay afloat. The IEP resources are a "joke." Most Resource personnel think that it is their job to just tell the kids what they're supposed to do to get a singular answer right, instead of showing them the methodologies required to get them ALL right (IOW they seem to fee it's easier to do their work for them instead of showing them how to do it). If you have a choice, choose somewhere else. Otherwise pray for a TOTAL Administrative change.

Posted April 23, 2013

We relocated to CLT in late July, and this is our first year at CHMS, and last. My children have had the privilege to attend schools in two separates states in the USA and oversees, and my expectations of CHMS fell way short for my kids and I. The principal and front staff do not have a sense of service, but instead of incredible arrogance. Please serve others well all the time or get out. My kids are tired of the numerous wiki pages each individual teacher has. The work is not loaded most of the time. Most of the teachers are nice and well prepared, but we feel kids are squashed under unrelenting school procedures with no play time or socializing. I operate a company with 500+ employees I just relocated to Charlotte, and if any of my associates do not have a heart for service, an understanding that customers have needs, and need to be treated with decency with no exception are terminated on the spot.

Posted April 17, 2013

8:30 am - 5:00 pm / M-F - that is child's school week. After 45 hours you would think there was some serious learning and teaching going on, to the contrary. 80 minute blocks with no talking, no moving, no socializing and then they assign homework. Forget after school sports or activities, there is at least an hour of homework every day. After being successful at every endeavor in his life, my son is failing to "learn how to do Community House". Orientation was a joke and instead of preparing our family for the transition, we were subjected to two hours of the incredibly arrogant principal to tell us what we were not going to do at "her school". Assignments are delivered to the kids in a collegiate format where we have to check each individual teacher's "wiki" pages nightly. Half the work or assignments are not uploaded, each wiki is in a different format, and it is a part time job managing my 6th graders school work. Our child is bright, well spoken, and popular and everything that makes him special is squashed under the unrelenting thumb of the procedures. We are pulling him out after this year and have nothing positive to say about our experience at CHMS.

Posted February 12, 2013

We just moved here from the midwest and like many of the other reviews, feel the same way about the school being run like a prison. The children are given assigned seats for lunch and they can't socialize with anyone in the cafeteria unless they are at their specific table. There is ZERO socializing in the hallways before or after school, and no recess. The students are given 5 minutes to switch between classes and use the restroom. One teacher that my child has for math requires that at least one warm up problem is started during this 5 minute transition time. It makes it very hard for my child to get to the classroom, use the restroom, and have the work started. I wished we would have gone to Union county. I do like my child's teachers, I just don't care for the military style running of the building. If your child is new to the school, it will be EXTREMELY hard to meet new friends do to the lack of of time to just be a kid.

Posted October 6, 2012

We moved here from upstate NY and could not believe the difference in schools. The front office staff at Community House MS was the most unfriendly, unhelpful staff I have ever encountered. I go to the office frequently and they definitely need some special training on how to treat parents and students. They all appear to hate their jobs. I worked in a school for 10 years while living in NY and in my experience front office staff members are usually very friendly and helpful. My child was bullied on facebook and on her phone. I called the school and they said there was nothing they could do about it if it did not occur at school. There were a couple of amazing teachers but for the most part the teachers were terrible. Wished we had a better experience.

Posted September 3, 2012

I have read the last several reviews and I agree the school is run with an iron hand but with 1600 kids it has to be. In a perfect world we would have another middle school built but we don't have that so we have a school with a lot of kids. My daughter has had a pretty good experience. Her counselor was great and has taken the time to talk to me when I needed to I think south Charlotte schools take a very strong stance on bullying. And I can tell you my daughter hasn't seen half of what I saw and experienced in middle school which I am thankful for. I think its a good school. I feel that she is safe. I will say I have heard the high school we feed into is like a prison and I do think high schoolers need some freedom. But in middle school I think the structure is good.

Posted June 13, 2012

There are so many problems with the previous post. First of all the bullying. I know it's hard to admit, but parents aren't as aware of what is going on in their child's life either because they're too busy, or b/c technology has made it easier for students to bully one another and keep things private. Tell your granddaughter's parents to do their parenting job and stop blaming the school. I know first hand that the school does everything they legally can to stop bullying. Tests on this site are state tests which are very high because the students are taught the curriculum which is what the test is based on. Parents of this school can be very demanding and if they don't get their way, they think the school is bad. As a former teacher, you should help your children be more supportive of the school. Be part of the solution - not a problem. Teachers and administration here hold students to high standards, but that's only truly effective with supportive parents.

Posted June 12, 2012

My granddaughter attended CHMS last year and I sincerely hope her parents are able to find a better solution for her for the future. There is no leadership, no accountability, and little close supervision of the students. When a problem is brought to the attention of the administration, it is effectively swept under the carpet. Bullying is a huge problem at this school and virtually nothing is done to curtail it. Find another school, don't believe the hype! Test scores are high because students are allowed to retake the test when they fail something. "Teaching the test" is the order of the day! "Great Schools" uses tests as the basis for their rating, which explains their score of 10. Just for your information, I am a former teacher and have taught in four states. NEVER have I known of a poorer environment for students, nor have I seen a more lax administration. I would avoid this school at all costs if you value your student's self-esteem.

Posted September 14, 2011

no wonder, children act the way they do, because of parents having their schildren under their skirts and spoiling all of their bad behaviors.

Posted July 17, 2011

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous post. CHMS is not what it is hyped to be. The principal is completely data driven, with no regard for what is in the best interest of your child. The teachers, while some are terrific, the majority are mediocre at best, making it a luck of the draw depending on who your student ends up with. I have had 2 students go through that school and the first 3 years was quite a different experience from the last 3 years. It would be in the best interest of our wonderful neighborhood if this principal were to be transferred to another school in the district where her militaristic ways would serve those incorrigible kids and not those in Ballantyne who don't need that! CMS should oust her.

Posted June 3, 2011

If you're moving to the Ballantyne area, looking for a middle school for your child & have a choice, then I strongly recommend sending your love one(s) somewhere else. The principle runs the school like a prison and appears more like a warden. Kids aren't allowed to be kids & experience recess, instead the time to make it between classes & allowing them to chew gum is her answer to excersice, REALLY. No wonder obesity is on the rise in South Charlotte. Kids are definitely second rated citizens and some of the teachers shouldn't be allowed to teach w/ their military No Talking, No Moving, No breathing mentality. I know this reads quite harsh but I assure you this is true, just ask kids that attend. Teachers seem grumpy & pleading your case to the Asst Principle will get you no where, he only appeases you and nothing gets resolved. I never intended having my child attend a Military School but even a Military School allows their cadets to be youthful & have breaks from their tough regimine. Avoid this school like the plague if you can, if you love your child you will. I speak on behalf of many fearful parents afraid of retaliation on their children. VERY DISSAPOINTED PARENT

Posted April 28, 2011

My child has had problems with his schoolwork and the his school coounselor along with all the teachers have been more than supportive.

Posted March 29, 2011

Community House is FANTASTIC! We recently withdrew from the private school world (Charlotte Latin) and have surprisingly found the academics at CHMS to be more rigorous than at Latin! The school is well-run, the teachers give individualized attention, and my child loves the environment. We are so glad we made the switch!

Posted March 16, 2011

I am an 8th grd student at CHM. The classes are fine as are the teachers. There are a couple of teachers who are not so great but thy hve been warned and some have been removed. What I would like to explain is the bullying problem. I see what happens firsthand and heres a suprise. I dont find it to be too much of a problem. Some comments that should not be said are said but it's clear that they are not something tht depresses a student. The prob is that there are certain kids that go alert teachers the second they hear the a mean comment. Its usually just a joke. Thas wat makes kids bully. When they get in trouble for somthing that nobody honestly cares about. When i say nobody i mean that the person who recieved the comment doesn't really care wat was said about them. The reason there are probs are because some kids r fighting wars that don't need to be fought. i may have sounded mean or like a bully with this review, but i promise i am not. Im one of those kids who can just observe what is actually the situation. The school is fine though. By the way teachers and staff are taking actions. We have seminars and lessons about bullying. This is almost too much action being taken.

Posted January 20, 2010

I have a 6th & 7th grader at this school. The teachers are excellent & very caring; however, there are serious bullying problems at this school. I have spoken with both teachers & administration about this problem, but they don't do anything. It seems to be getting worse. I am now looking for a private school to send my kids to next year.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

541 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 46% in 2013.

540 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Grade (EOG) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The EOG is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. Students must pass the grade 8 EOG test in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

520 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

519 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

506 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2013.

506 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 59% in 2013.

504 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students73%

Limited English proficiency-5%
Proficient in English75%
Non-migrant73%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data for that group is not reported.

Female78%

Limited English proficiency32%
Proficient in English90%
Non-migrant87%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 36% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

-95%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 46% in 2013.

n/a
English II

The state average for English II was 51% in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 North Carolina used End-of-Course (EOC) tests to assess high school students in Algebra I, English II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of North Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the tests.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A56%
Source: NCDPI, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields

• Jamie W. Brooks
Fax number
  • (980) 343-0691

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options