Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted August 26, 2016
Good teachers. My son learned a lot. It's the administrators who are subpar. I regret sending my child to this school.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 26, 2016
My son always finished his homework at school so I don't think it was excessive

Community House Middle 4

Posted December 29, 2015
Our second year at CHMS. My child was not challenged at all in their previous school. The moment they stepped foot into this school the teachers expected nothing more than excellence from them. CHMS faculty are preparing the students for real life and college. Teaching them responsibility and independence. My child stated that they have learned more, feels respected, and believes that the teachers want them to succeed. Parents MUST advocate for their child. In my experience, It has been as easy as an email conversation, with a 48hour response time, to advocate for my child's education. Teachers are not perfect and neither are our children. We have to work together. CHMS has a large population of students and if your child has special needs, or behavior problems you must work very close with the staff (daily or weekly emails in addition to meetings) to have positive results.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted December 29, 2015
I want to say thanks to the 7th grade guidance counselor. Guidance counselors are such an important part of the school staff. She has been available to my child for their adjustment to 6th grade and now for their adjustment to 7th. She encourages him to reach for the stars. I am teaching my child to advocate for their own education and she listens to their concerns, and acts upon them. We need more like her!

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted December 29, 2015
The teachers are as effective as the parents are involved. The teachers are as effective as the administration supports them. I have had ineffective teachers for my child and I've had very effective teachers. In both situations I have been validated and supported by the VP. We worked together for the best results for the child.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted December 29, 2015
While I understand why homework exist, I'm not sure I agree that it's necessary. Studies are showing that students grades may actually increase with no homework. So IMO yes, there is too much homework but it's not a reflection of this school homework policy. It's my overall opinion of the true value of homework nationwide.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted December 29, 2015
I don't agree that it's the schools job to develop these characters in students. It's mine as a parent.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted December 29, 2015
I think parents need to SHOW UP for their children. When they do teachers show respect for a family that advocates for their child.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted December 29, 2015
The VP was very involved with an incident with my child giving into peer pressure. He was very nurturing to the situation, yet stern communicating possible consequences. My child is flourishing.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted December 29, 2015
The reason I feel this school helps to develop honesty, integrity is that my child had a difficult time adjusting to middle school. The VP and the guidance counselor were patient and kind, uplifting his confidence. As a result he is doing very well.

9500 Community House Rd, Charlotte, NC  28277
Last modified Community House Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.