Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Community House Middle 4

Posted December 29, 2015
Our second year at CHMS. My child was not challenged at all in their previous school. The moment they stepped foot into this school the teachers expected nothing more than excellence from them. CHMS faculty are preparing the students for real life and college. Teaching them responsibility and independence. My child stated that they have learned more, feels respected, and believes that the teachers want them to succeed. Parents MUST advocate for their child. In my experience, It has been as easy as an email conversation, with a 48hour response time, to advocate for my child's education. Teachers are not perfect and neither are our children. We have to work together. CHMS has a large population of students and if your child has special needs, or behavior problems you must work very close with the staff (daily or weekly emails in addition to meetings) to have positive results.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted December 29, 2015
I want to say thanks to the 7th grade guidance counselor. Guidance counselors are such an important part of the school staff. She has been available to my child for their adjustment to 6th grade and now for their adjustment to 7th. She encourages him to reach for the stars. I am teaching my child to advocate for their own education and she listens to their concerns, and acts upon them. We need more like her!

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted December 29, 2015
The teachers are as effective as the parents are involved. The teachers are as effective as the administration supports them. I have had ineffective teachers for my child and I've had very effective teachers. In both situations I have been validated and supported by the VP. We worked together for the best results for the child.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted December 29, 2015
While I understand why homework exist, I'm not sure I agree that it's necessary. Studies are showing that students grades may actually increase with no homework. So IMO yes, there is too much homework but it's not a reflection of this school homework policy. It's my overall opinion of the true value of homework nationwide.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted December 29, 2015
I don't agree that it's the schools job to develop these characters in students. It's mine as a parent.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted December 29, 2015
I think parents need to SHOW UP for their children. When they do teachers show respect for a family that advocates for their child.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted December 29, 2015
The VP was very involved with an incident with my child giving into peer pressure. He was very nurturing to the situation, yet stern communicating possible consequences. My child is flourishing.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted December 29, 2015
The reason I feel this school helps to develop honesty, integrity is that my child had a difficult time adjusting to middle school. The VP and the guidance counselor were patient and kind, uplifting his confidence. As a result he is doing very well.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted November 06, 2015
My daughter attended here 6 years ago and it was good then. She had great teachers. This year some teachers are mediocre which is okay and one teacher is terrible. His website is a mess. I try to find other teacher websites to help find information about assignments. JM Robinson has great teacher websites. Unfortunately we aren't always in synch with their curriculum. Classroom teaching seems to be pretty weak, especially for math & social studies in 6th grade team Rain

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted November 06, 2015
This school is on a late schedule. My son gets home from school at 5pm. He does homework 4 days per week from 6pm-8pm. It's unreasonable.

9500 Community House Rd, Charlotte, NC  28277
Last modified Community House Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.