Charlotte, NC
Students enrolled: 2,435

Ardrey Kell High 1

Posted October 24, 2014
Audrey Kell is fine if your child is a high achiever or an athlete. If a student is average or below, its a constant struggle where no one cares or helps. The EC coordinator should have retired a long time ago, she is no advocate for the children. AK is more interested in their image than with the students. There were many bullying issues that were never addressed although they profess to be diligent. Much of the student body is pretentious and self centered. Thank goodness we left and found a smaller, loving HS environment.

Posted July 28, 2014
We moved from NY to Charlotte last year and my daughter completed 10th grade @ Ardrey Kell. We are very impressed with this school. The academics are rigorous but my daughter was able to maintain excellent grades while working part time and staying active in athletics. I concur with other reviews that the principal, Mr. Switzer, is amazing and I hope he stays @ Ardrey Kell until my other children graduate. You won't find a better High school in the CMS system. PS....I do see why people call it a jail though. It could use some paint/landscaping/architectural enhancements??

Posted June 21, 2014
I can't say enough good things about AKHS. We love, love, love this school. Mr. Switzer, the principal, is amazing. This school has something for everyone: academics, athletes, artists, musicians, etc. Your child will be so glad to be at this school! Even the kids here have a ton of school spirit. It's unlike anything I've ever seen!

Ardrey Kell High 1

Posted May 18, 2014
To some, this school appears to be great. It'd diverse and the teachers are young and great. However, the way this school is run makes the learning environment impossible to learn in. The administrators seem to care more about girls' yoga pants and butts than academics and student satisfaction. The drug and cheating problems at this school are unbelievable and the rules are ridiculous. If you care at all about your child's education, don't send them hear! This was my first year at AK and after my experience it is also my last. The learning environment and the ridiculous rules may work for some people whom I have met, but for most students I have talked to, this school is exactly what it looks like...a prison.

Posted April 28, 2014
Ardey Kell is a great high school, filled with lots of diversity. Since day one, the staff and faculty has been very welcoming and inclusive. My children have received an excellent education, as well as being involved in a great athletic community.

Posted December 18, 2013
Both of our children attended AK and they loved it. In addition we as parents enjoyed the experience WITH our children as they were very involved.

Posted December 17, 2013
Principal Switzer and school staff do an excellent job in motivating and educating all students in this phenomenally growing district. Their care to encourage and incorporate every family to enhance a student's growth is second to none.

Posted December 10, 2013
As a parent of a current student and AK graduate, I am extremely pleased with the leadership of Principal Switzer and his top notch teaching staff. The curriculum is challenging and there are extensive opportunities for students to get involved in extra curricular activities (sports, clubs, community service). The student body is diverse and includes a large Exceptional Children's program. Teachers go out of their way to assist students achieve their academic goals. The school is extremely safe. Parent involvement is encouraged. Communication between the school and parents is excellent.

Ardrey Kell High 3

Posted December 06, 2013
I just moved here and attended as a new student at Ardrey Kell last week. Honestly, everyone is so unwelcoming, the classes are too long, and the whole school looks and feels like a prison. Sure, the staff may be nice but the kids are so judgemental and materialistic and it's difficult to make friends since everyone's already in their cliques. The homeroom schedule is extremely confusing and they don't have many elective classes to offer. I can't stand the thought of attending school here for 3 more years, I have no idea how this is the "Best School" in all of Charlotte. You're better off homeschooling or moving back to where you came from.

Posted November 19, 2013
Ardrey Kell High School is without a doubt the best school in Charlotte Mecklenburg. The school is always in the lead in academics and test scores. We have a diverse and confident student body. The athletics at Ardrey Kell are OUTSTANDING. The school has won the Wachovia Cup Conference (now the Wells Fargo Conference) 4 years in a row! This is an award for the All Around Best Athletics. The actual school is wonderful, it is one of the newest in the county. The Exceptional Needs program at the school is fantastic also. I have experience with this area and it is really hands down the best. The principal and staff at Ardrey Kell are unsurpassed. This is sometimes stressful to the staff due to expectations but they do deliver. Earlier principals did not achieve these high results/scores as the current principal. He is demanding of the students and staff. He accomplishes this thru strength of belief in a great education, fairness and compassion. He also shares a love and enjoyment of his students and they of him. There is a lot of team spirit and closeness amongst the students, parents and staff. I couldn't be happier with the education my 2 kids rec'd from Ardrey Kell.

Ardrey Kell High
10220 Ardrey Kell Road, Charlotte, NC  28277
Last modified Ardrey Kell High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ardrey Kell High Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top