Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted February 10, 2016
Principal Ernest Saxton. I have a deep respect for this man and what he is accomplishing to enable a great environment for the kids and the teachers.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 10, 2016
I volunteer at this school on a regular basis and get to see the teachers and administration interact with the students. I can say with 100% certainty that this school strives to develop honesty, integrity and fairness in all of its students.

Posted February 10, 2016
Time for an updated review of this school. It's February 2016 and our child just started at Highland Creek Elementary (HCE.) Let me just say that this school, it's teachers, it's administrators and especially the principal are all highly dedicated to providing a quality education for the kids. There are several opportunities for volunteerism and the one I especially like is the "Be There Dad's" (BTD) group. BTD enables fathers to volunteer at the school and provide a positive presence (i.e. Be There) for the kids. This school was overwhelmed with too many students over the years. That all changed at the beginning of the 2015 school year when a relief school (Parkside) was opened. Now the teacher-to-student ratios are much more manageable and the kids are getting the education that they deserve. We love this school and the staff that are committed to the education of our child.

Highland Creek Elementary 3

Posted January 14, 2015
My child is in 1st grade. Despite its score, I am not really impressed with the school, although the ASEP staff is fantastic, and dedicated to the kids. Communication is not the school's forte; in several instances, it has been difficult to get feedback from the teacher, from the PTA, and from the Principal as well. The last winter/Christmas party consisted of feeding the kids ice cream, and playing some inappropriate music (i.e. Chris Brown among others); that was to say the least disturbing, lazy, and showed a lack of accountability by the school's administration. Finally, as a public school, the relief of HCE should not consist of favoring the Highland Creek HOA, as shown by the future demographics.

Posted November 15, 2014
Excellent school though over crowded. Principal that is concerned about all students not just the one's who have parents that volunteer all the time and give money. Great activities at the school, lots of extra curricular activities. New principal last year and some parents who were used to running things at the school are bothered. I'm more concerned about the education my child is getting than the feeling of parents who think their opinions outweight those of educators.

Highland Creek Elementary 2

Posted September 09, 2014
This school used to be a great school, but it just isn't that way anymore. Teachers are unhappy; parents are unhappy; I guess students like it okay, but it's just not what I signed on for. My 5th grader will be moving on next year and let me just say, it can't happen soon enough. It's no surprise so many teachers left last year and mass exit of students to charters also.

Posted March 30, 2014
Great staff and the PTA is very active at the school. So far the new principal has showed tremendous leadership.

Posted August 19, 2013
This school is a really great place to be. We walk to school and the teachers are fantastic. It's big (too big in my opinion), but it's a public school and it seems no one can be turned away. I am sending my third child to kindergarten this year and am confident he'll be prepared for future learning.

Posted May 29, 2012
We moved here a year and a half ago from Las Vegas, NV and I was very nervous about moving my (then) third grader to a new school. However, I consider myself blessed to have found this amazing community school! From the Principal and his staff, to the teachers and the parents, this school is top notch! I would not hesitate one bit to recommend this school to a newcomer!

Posted December 16, 2010
We love this school! As big as it is, both of my children are well cared for and challenged academically.

7242 Highland Creek Parkway, Charlotte, NC  28269
Last modified Highland Creek Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland Creek Elementary Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 96 reviews. Top