Posted September 28, 2014
We have had 4 children attending Charlotte Secondary for 5 years now. The very best thing about the school is its size. During those difficult middle school years, CSS offers individualized attention and small peer groups. Bullying is virtually non-existent. There isn't a drug or alcohol element, and the children seem to "grow-up" slower (giving their brains a chance to catch up to their bodies). The Paideia method is ideal for helping kids to learn and think for themselves. The teachers treat students as individuals, so students that have a difficult time with organization (a huge challenge for most new 6th graders) are given extra help and understanding. Students who excel in academics are also challenged. The school is growing and adding more programs by the year. They are growing a quality athletics programs, and adding an arts curriculum too. I am so thankful to have CSS as an alternative to public middle AND high school. My oldest is now in the 10th grade and wouldn't go anywhere else. It is wonderful to my kids getting a quality education in a safe, and healthy environment. **If your child prefers anonymity, this is NOT the school for her/him.

Posted June 29, 2014
Charlotte secondary has been nothing but accommodating! Both of my children have went there for 3 years... Teachers are like family and my kids are thriving in every way. My kids are very different but have both fit in just perfectly at CSS... I'm sorry to hear that some parents feel so negatively about the school... I read in one of the reviews that they were unhappy because there is a lot of parental support asked and fundraising done... This is how the school runs financially...it does not get as many funds as public school from the state so it has to make up for the balance by fundraising and using volunteers... For me Charlotte secondary has been like going to a private school but for free! And the help that is asked is gladly given by many helpful parents. Those who's schedule does not allow much time is NOT required! No school is perfect but this school has been god sent for us! Truly

Posted May 29, 2014
We have had a wonderful experience thus far at Charlotte Secondary. My 6th grade son is receiving a quality education, with fantastic teachers and peers. We are thankful that he has been given the opportunity to attend this school, and look forward to the upcoming years.

Posted May 21, 2014
I will not recommend the school to any one.the admin staff are not willing to help kids or parents,but expect parents to support and help the school with it's activities and fundraisers.The school does not even have a RN or Counselor to handle issues like bullying.the standard is lower than the state standard because very few qualified teachers are available. It makes you feel as if your children are in a private school, because parents have to set aside money each month to help out on fund raisers.

Posted May 01, 2014
I would not reccomend this school. The teachers are treated terribly, and they are resigning and getting fired all the time. The administration harasses and bullies students. There is no dicepline at all. The students are obnoxious and make it impossible to learn anything. They have no clue how to run the highschool. They even messed up the required seat hours, so the highschool day is extended by half an hour and they are still making up 18 hours outside of school. The only positive things I have to say about this school are that the highschool teachers are great people. It is also extremely easy to make good grades at this school.

Charlotte Secondary School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
We love this school. The teachers are the best !! High school is coming along. School needs to figure out it's brand moving forward. Really wish parents would not send kids who don't want to be at the school. Also, you need to help out the school if you are a parent. Only a handful of oatents do all the helping.

Charlotte Secondary School 4

Posted January 11, 2014
I disagree with the comment bellow mine. I think Charlotte Secondary is a great school so far. I'm enrolled in the high school and its probably one of the best decisions I've ever made coming from a high school that didn't challenge me at all. I love how project grades count way more than test grades because I am definitely not a great test taker (if you aren't the project type and you can make an A on an exam, I wouldn't come to this school because test only count 20% of your overall grade). The teachers here are extremely helpful and supportive and really care about your education. We do a lot of hands on activities like going on field trips to experience how what we learn in the classroom applies in the real world. Right now I will admit the high school isn't the greatest but, its a brand new building with now high school classes and brand new teachers so you can't blame them for doing things wrong... They are just getting into the groove of things. Also, Charlotte Secondary is going to offer college courses next year from CPCC (hopefully!) that count as high school and college credit! And they offer American Sign Language as a foreign language which I absolutely love!

Posted December 14, 2013
Well since there a so many parent here is a student point if view. It's so annoying having to wake up everyday and saying " great I go to CSS. Where the teachers DONT CARE at all about the students and all they care about is getting paid and looking pod in front of parents. Not to mention that THEY HAVE MONEY but have pointless fundraisers all the time. The teachers give us projects to do that's 30% our grade and give as 2-4 to do it!!!! Every week I have at least 3 projects! Core classes are okay but having electives that we can't choose is just WRONG !! There is a difference between core and elective. IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO BE HAPPY DONT SEND THEM THERE! THEY TREAT US LIKE 1 st GRADERS! :) thank you for reading.

Posted October 09, 2013
Charlotte Secondary School is the best thing we ever did for our daughter. She is happy, learning everyday. Kathy Robinson

Posted October 08, 2013
This school is Charlottes best kept secret! I have a 7 th grader that has flowered since going to CSS. I am so excited that they now have the high school open and I will have no more worries of where she will graduate from! All the teachers have the biggest hearts and really take passion with all the kids. They aren't just at the school for their pay, they want to see these kids have success! I'm proud to tell people my daughter goes to CSS! I know she will learn and love learning!

Charlotte Secondary School
8601 McAlpine Park Drive, Charlotte, NC  28211
Last modified Charlotte Secondary School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charlotte Secondary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews.