Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Imagine a school consumed by upholding their image in the community through test scores BUT when you go through their car line to pick up your child on a rainy day, the teachers are either under awnings or umbrellas and your child is standing in the rain beside their assigned pole to be picked up a few minutes later. Teachers that care would be standing with a child under their umbrella. A school that cares about more than its image would have a better pick-up system in place for inclement weather. Thank god we live in a mild climate region. Parents, I would encourage you to have lunch in the cafeteria to better understand how your children are treated by school staff members. (Lunch ladies have serious attitude issues. If you do not like children, find a new job). The lack of genuine care for children and joy within these walls just doesn't seem present. The low teacher wages and large volume of children may be the cause but I assure you this is not a 4 or 5 star school environment. The location (Ballantyne) and test scores of the children living in this location make the school a 4/5 star rating. Not the staff or daily operations in place.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

The school principal and dean of students do not project an approachable or welcoming persona. I would encourage you to have a conversation with one of them to better understand their dominating personalities. Will your voice be heard?

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

You will have to advocate for your child's learning if they do not fit into the learning population level. The school will do the minimum requirements to meet policies in place.

Develops character: Disagree

The principal is bombastic. He does not foster a positive learning environment. Mr. Fortuna's approach is aggressive and destructive to a healthy learning environment.

I absolutely LOVE Elon Park and so does my child. We moved in the district last year and I'm so glad we did the. The teachers seem extremely friendly and care about the children's learning as opposed to test scores!

School is getting better since vice principal from last year left. New vice principal this year is much better. She seems really upbeat, and treats the parents respectfully. The Principal is better this year with engaging parents. In the past we found him quick to want to defend staff, and not give parents and children the benefit of the doubt. Teachers still need some coaching, and need to work on their professionalism, and their interaction with a parent. Seems to my wife and I that the older more seasoned teachers are the problem. No enthusiasm, and "some" very unprofessional. The younger teachers are fantastic. They're very excited about teaching, and we love to see that in our teachers. The classroom assistants are a waste of money. Some of them think they're an extension of the teacher, and try and discipline students. We should do away with the classroom assistants, and get the teachers from behind the desk playing on their Ipads, and cellphones. Devices should have never been introduced, and our kids pay for it. Time to teach. We are spending 2-3hrs every evening having to do the actual teaching so that our children keep up. Ridiculous.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework is consistent but not "busy work". Fundamentals like math and reading are stressed daily. I was pleased with the science and social studies projects as they can be time consuming for teachers, but the hands on learning was so beneficial to my children.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers have classroom incentives for behavior and conduct, school wide character tea acknowledges select students for their good character monthly, and even fun "caught you doing good" teacher awards are opportunities the school creates for students to strive for the best.

I have been very pleased with the principal, vp, administrative staff and counsellor as well as excellent, caring teachers. The school is large but they work hard to make it feel familiar and break it into smaller groups. I love the VP outside greeting the parents at carpool almost daily! Our old school admin would have never done that. I have a child that struggles and has been set for success partnering with both the teachers and counselor. There is a very strong PTO and great academic offerings. Talent and Development are wonderful and offer great enrichment for the academically gifted but are overstretched IMO. Sadly, I imagine this is true throughout CMS. The success of this school for my family has been the caring teachers and the staff response to my childrens' needs.

it is a great school with a principal that is strict, by the numbers and pretty matter of fact. i think that rubs some parents the wrong way, but the school's performance speaks for itself. The school has a very supportive front office and has a lot of great clubs (math, golf, computers, engineering, chess, disk golf, running, chorus, etc.) One of my son's has struggled and has gotten so much support. Love the school and believe it is preparing my 2 boys for middle school.

Last modified Elon Park Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.